Search:

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: I think something's wrong with my mandolin.

Can't believe that someone hasn't mentioned this yet, but you clearly need to buy another mandolin... so you can A/B them and find out what's wrong with the first one.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: opinions on Weber Gallatin

huge weber fan here, purchased a dandy Gallatin F for my wife years ago, it was killer! I currently own a Yellowstone with fern appointments and it just rocks my boat. I've owed around 3 others....
  3. Replies
    Views

Thank you!

This is Dan from the Mandolins and Beer Podcast. Hope everyone is well! I just uploaded the newest episode that features none other than Scott Tichenor, the man behind the Mandolin Cafe!

This...
  4. Re: Can we talk about tuning mechanisms for a sec?

This^^ IME, the tuning machines are almost never the problem. Usually, the nut slots are too tight or are binding at the back edge where the angle changes. Changing them for aesthetic...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Can we talk about tuning mechanisms for a sec?

It is my belief that tuners are the least likely cause of tuning issues. Think about a company like Eastman. Do you believe they really make a decision to put tuners that don't work on their...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Another pick grip question

Sierra has much smaller hands than Mike Marshall. I'm only throwing this in here because the comparison was made between the way these 2 professionals (masters) grip the pick. I do not mean to...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin sound changing over time

I find it interesting that no one disputes when someone says `I can hear that the strings I put on two months ago are dead' but if they say `my mandolin sounds better a month after I got it' no one...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Condenser mic for live and home recording

It's possible to really overthink a question like this. John has a simple interface and a modest budget. If you're interested in the one mic performance thing, give it a try. This is a mono recording...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: About my pick grip

I’ve never believed there is any “right” or “wrong” way to hold the pick. Just use whatever is the most efficient way to get the tone and speed you are trying to achieve. While I see lots of great...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue Chip meltdown

I'm glad folks like their blue chips. I bought a couple a few years back and never really "got" what was exceptional about them. They were fine but I liked the feel and tone with my Wegen M200's...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Not all Collings hold their value

It is worth mentioning that the some makers of musical instruments and some salesmen routinely conflate the possibility of their used products rising in value with the very much more remote...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Richlite bridges

As a mandolin builder, I see no reason to ever not use a 2" wide wooden fingerboard. They are cheap and readily available, regardless of your wood choice. When mandolin fingerboards are no longer...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Strum, chop, mute?

If you aren't doing so, you should play chop chords rather than a muted strum. Same space isn't so much the problem as the fact that you could get the same effect by whacking a table with a...
  14. Re: Seeking Advice: Seller Misrepresented Condition.

Sounds like you like the mandolin, but wish it were in better shape. It also sounds like you like the mandolin, but don't like the way it was described. So, you can look for a nicer one and get a...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: radius fretboard why?

I like flat. Doesn't make sense to me reaching the G string on downhill. Especially with pinky. I'd prefer an opposite radius there :)
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: break angle and string tension

Extremely misguided answers? Well, ok then, maybe you could offer some real guidance.

1. What strings did Gibson recommend for the H1 in 1905? I can't find that information anywhere. So, how would...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: R.I.P. Mac Wiseman

I guess this raises the question of what constitutes "first" vs. "second generation." Leaving aside Bill Monroe's and Flatt & Scruggs well-known timelines, the Stanley Brothers started recording...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: If You Were Famous . . .

The best mandolin players I have heard were not famous. Fame is a choice. There are great famous mandolin players out there but some who are very good do not want fame. It does feed the ego...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Need Help Progressing

If you think you can or you think you can't, you're right. (Henry Ford, attrib.) If you want to progress your playing by playing by ear, and learning more difficult parts, then do so. After a while,...
  20. Thread: Chords

by wormpicker
    Replies
    Views

Re: Chords

I can't remember whether this has been pointed out yet, but one benefit of working on 4-finger (not just 4-string) chords from the beginning is precisely to stretch your hands so that you'll be able...
  21. Thread: Chords

by Mark Gunter
    Replies
    Views

Re: Chords

Two finger, three finger, four finger, five ... Okay, so you've really only got four fingers among your five digits, I only wrote that because it sounds like a nursery rhyme. Starting over ...

Two...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: what would you do

I would never go back. Life is too short to support people like that.
  23. Replies
    Views

Trying again

Since the September dust-up in which I was involved, I've been "lurking," as they say, and not posting on the Cafe. I must confess to some hurt feelings; whether deserved or not, up to others to...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Don't be nervous

That's what I thought when the spectre of newbies taking over the session was raised as a possible reason for an exclusive jam. How common is this scenario really? I can only say that I've never seen...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Don't be nervous

Inspired by sbhikes and this thread, I headed down to the "Celtic Kitchen Party" this afternoon, only to find a group of confused people standing outside a locked pub. My sweetheart called the...
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4