Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: No motivation

This has been a difficult time for many folks; probably more than many of us realize. I’m glad that you reached out. To reach out can take a lot of strength.

Isolation comes in many forms:...
  2. Replies
    Views

Who's been watching Mike Compton?

Every Sun. night @ 7:00.
    For some reason i can't get on the live streaming feeds. Don't understand why? But i watch it after it's over. Yes, it's great! Whipped out a dola. Does some cross-key...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Resonators

Under $1K you either buy one of the nickel-plated brass Chinese instruments, by Johnson, Recording King etc. -- or look for a used US-made Dobro or National (here's one at Guitar Center). The best...
  4. Replies
    Views

National innards

a bit of a surprise to see what's beneath the cone of the modern National mandolin:

5. Replies
    Views

Re: Tim O'Brien wants you to vote

Yeah, I'm not real comfortable with where this is going. As much as we can all agree that you should vote I think we are getting past the no political discussion portion of the Posting Guidelines....
  6. Replies
    Views

Blues, Stomps, & Rags #1

I notice that not much is happening by way of blues here, so I decided to start posting a blues or blues-related tune a week (allowing for "the best-laid plans of mice and men...") for blues...
  7. Re: It's time for many in the north to start humidifting.

This year in the Midwest (United States) we've had severe swings. Meaning a month of above normal precip. followed by a month of no rain. Very strange. October was a no rain month. Good for getting...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Musicians and hats

I wear a hat on stage to block the over head stage lights. This lets me see the audience better.
  9. Replies
    Views

"There's no good music anymore!"

I was reading a review of an album, which stated something like, "This guy did the near impossible by making music you'd actually want to listen to."

Where does the belief that modern music sucks...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Advice for playing rock and roll

A sometimes member here, Walter Peterson, rocks an Ovation. His words: "Bulletproof."
    He gigs at least weekly. He's got a bunch of weapons from an Army/Navy, to an F5G. But when he rocks, he rock...
  11. Replies
    Views

Floridectomy (mklfstb)

It was bound to happen. Yesterday it did. That's an old Exacto brand saw. 12-15 teeth/inch. Just a guess. Finer would've been better, but I had a rifle file kit poised for action. Just as well use...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Any professions that play a "Pancake"?

Walt Peterson plays a Flatiron A/N Pancake, often on stage.
    He's on here, but rarely posts.
    I call it his little Magic mandolin: "Just how in the world does all that sound come out of that little...
  13. Re: The Appalling Lack Of Bluegrass Music In Branson

Does it matter? Raffi doesn't play the Blue Note, there's no Cape Breton at the rock and roll hall of fame in Cleveland, and no heavy metal at a bluegrass festival. Branson is it's own thing,...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone and volume

The most even and precise playing I've heard in contest at Winfield have been done at fairly low volumes. Great technique for solo playing or with a guitar backing. Play it that way in an old-time...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Practice vs. Habit

If your only concern is getting better then non-focused practice is a total waste of time. To the rest of us as long as some of our practice is focused and we are having fun there is no wasted time.
  16. Thread: Loud

by Clinton Johnson
    Replies
    Views

Re: Loud

Perhaps those that are complaining are the ones playing to loud. They should "soften" the music when your taking your breaks;)
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Volume in a jam situation

Yes, it's common knowledge. If you have a mandolin with f-holes, it projects away from you. The folks across the circle are hearing you better than you can hear yourself. Try asking them what your...
  18. Re: Chord Melody vs playing out of Chord Position

You could in fact, place the chords as notated, and the melody, as notated, one on top the other, if the one was on transparent paper. Where the two pieces of notation have common notes, this is...
  19. Replies
    Views

Fun

Fun
  20. Re: Not "Wagon Wheel" again - are there other popular band songs?

Or blame.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Orange Blossom Special on the Mandolin

I hate to be the contrarian but this is just about the worst tune in bluegrass. It's a show off tune for fiddle players for audiences that don't know what good fiddling really sounds like. I'd rather...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Modern Standards?

It seems to me twenty years is really on that ragged edge of knowing if a tune actually has longevity. Songs like AC/DC's Shook Me All Night Long are quickly approaching twenty years old. Canned...
  23. Replies
    Views

Here's a few more reasons: Little hands....

Here's a few more reasons:

Little hands.
    Growing up playing violin.
    Wanting to get a guitar-like sound from a mandolin.
    Not wanting to learn how to play guitar.
    Lovin' those fifths!

Frank