Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: How about a thread on tips and tricks?

There's no simple answer other than, "I turn knobs until I'm happy," but I know how annoying it is when I read people saying that in response to an earnest question. I have a fair amount of...
  2. Re: How about a thread on tips and tricks?

How much time do you have? :D

My main amp at the moment is an Ampeg Jet II that I bought new at some point between 2004 and 2008. I recently had it cleaned up, and it sounds great, though I...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: More Gibson Antics

Forgive me Mandolin Cafe Forum for I have sinned and recently purchased a used Derrington MM. Weird though, I don't feel guilty.

With that thought I'm bringing this back bcuz it's so damned funny....
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: JBovier Mandolins

I don’t know if he is still having Bovier’s made. I bought a used Bovier a couple of years ago. I emailed Jeff and he gave me all sorts of info on it
  5. Re: I know this is a subjective question but rank your top player

There are so many great players. Not yet mentioned, but definitely should be on the list are: Jesse Brock, Michael Cleveland, and Skip Gorman.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Why do you play electric?

Not much to add to this but this is why I like listening to electric mandolin, when there's someone that really knows how to get one set-up correctly and has the right kind of musical sensibilities...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Why do you play electric?

I could say that it's because it sounds good, but lots of instruments sound good.

Maybe the real reason is because I sound good. :cool: :mandosmiley: :)
  8. Replies
    Views

Stew-Mac used to sell F-5 kits, but I noticed recently that they were no longer being offered. I wonder if something similar happened with that?

With all the copies being built of instruments that...
  9. Replies
    Views

It (Gibson) is a triumph of branding, like many companies in many industries that fail to innovate.
  10. Replies
    Views

Ahead of his time.
  11. Re: Mike Compton demonstrates his 2008 Duff F-5 mandolin

Love that mandolin, and obviously, I love Mike Compton.

Something that often gets lost in conversations on this board about mandolins, technique, theory, etc., is the importance of musical...
  12. Re: Mike Compton demonstrates his 2008 Duff F-5 mandolin

I agree completely. All types of music for different likes and dislikes. Mike is one of the best at his style of playing. I appreciate his playing even though I prefer crystal clear notes, chords,...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Picks for arthritis

Thanks, everyone, for your responses. I'm going to keep a list of them all and try them all. I have a feeling that this is one of those injuries that is going to recur even after it gets better.
  14. Re: type of mandolins played in Colonial America

Here's my anon. French mandolin, likely from the first half of the 19th c. It's only a little anachronistic, and I still apply the historic stringing from the 18th-c. method books to it. Not easy...
  15. Willie Nelson with Marty Stuart on emando

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOptU-3N_Sg

Solo at 1:10
  16. Replies
    Views

That Great Day by Jonny Lang…Sam Bush??

Heard this song on random and the mandolin double stop accompaniment is very sweet. Discog says Sam Bush is playing but I that’s the only source I found, and they called the song The Great Day. I’m...
  17. Replies
    Views

My first oval hole

Had an itch to get something different. Nothing fancy, just an Eastman MD404 I found used on Reverb. I was immediately struck by how different it sounds from my 2 F-hole mandolins. Sorry for the...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Uncle Don Brown's Loar

Really enjoyed this video, thanks for posting!
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando (and why to quit callin it that...)g

One of my fav songs Alternating Current/Direct Current is Trinitrotoluene.
    It’s fab.

Rapid eye movement is another one.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Oval vs F holes

Agreed 100% ... I play very regularly at a jam and have played both an F hole and oval hole at said jam. What I have found is that while an oval has a place in one's arsenal, it typically gets lost...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Oval vs F holes

Ted nailed it. That's why I own both. Like why so many guitarists have different guitars as well as banjo players and fiddlers and dobro, well wait, perhaps not dobros.
  22. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

I’d rather the plane crash than to have listen to a kazoo
  23. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

-incorrect Dave!

Have you not considered aircraft accidents? Yes, they do happen.
    A flimsy mandolin is obviously out of the question but a Kazoo would be an intelligent instrument to learn.
    It...
  24. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

Based on that thinking we should all be playing the piccolo:))
  25. Re: The Airline lost my mandolin! (Good news ending though)

There is no need to ever check a mandolin. That's why we selected that instrument: Because it will fit in the overhead compartment of any commercial aircraft
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4