Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Just finished up these 2 jazz models built in a violin style.210347210348210349210350210351210352
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: I'm curious about a hide gluing method

Another use for the dry gluing is inserting violin purfling into channel. The purfling strip is coated with glue and dried and slightly compressed with roller and channel is slightly widened with...
  3. Replies
    Views

Nice work Gary. Nice work David.
  4. Thread: Back removal

by rcc56
    Replies
    Views

Re: Back removal

It seems to me that filling the channel and re-installing violin style purfling would be an endless headache and would look like a patch job no matter how much effort you put into it.

Instead, why...
  5. Thread: Back removal

by pops1
    Replies
    Views

If you need thin strips of wood to inlay into the purfling gap, it's hard to get them in once they have glue on. I cut strips to fit cracks and insert them dry, then wick in hot hide glue. It is...
  6. Thread: Back removal

by sunburst
    Replies
    Views

It is the wetting of the dust that makes it darker, just like wetting the wood surface makes it darker (temporarily with water, more permanently with finish or glue because the "wet" look persists...
  7. Replies
    Views

Fish glue will separate nicely with a heated palette knife. (I think it's great stuff and use it a lot.) Depending on how much finish you have on the instrument, you might be able to soften the...
  8. Replies
    Views

Fish glue releases very easy with a small amount of steam.

I use one of the $20 hand held steamers off Epay. If you don't have one of those, a simple old school coffee pot with a 50 cent hose...
  9. Thread: Back removal

by pops1
    Replies
    Views

There is another option to remove the back with minimal damage. Get a thin NO kerf saw and saw the glue line. Violins use diluted glue for the top and back so they are easier to remove. I have sawed...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: F4 design evolution/solutions

I don't build, but I do repair, and I've seen quite a few F-4's. I've even measured a few of them, and found that the body measurements can vary slightly in width and depth.

The nice thing about...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: water and bending sides

One has to understand how bending wood works.
    First when you bend wood, the outside layer wants to stretch and the inner compress. You must count with strengths of your wood when bending. In most...
  12. Replies
    Views

Diamond volutes.
    Guitars, not mandolins. Purely ornamental, a PITA to carve, but compared to a scroll? Not so bad really! They do have to be sharp and precise though, and when things need to be...
  13. Replies
    Views

Just finished a shellback skiff...
  14. Replies
    Views

It's been a while.
    Boots Imperial strung up in the white.195944
  15. Replies
    Views

I'll bet that is going to look awesome!
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Another Siminoff Neck Joint Question

Can I just say, that redwood looks awesome.
  17. Re: The String Instrument Craftsman magazine (no mando content)

Okay, just emailed out the first 5 issues of SIC to Mandolin Cafe users. Will keep sending until these 4 users get them all.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Neck Block Materials

If you mean thuja plicata (WRC) it is way to soft and easy to split for neck block. You can use it for other blocks though. Yelow cedar (Cupressus nootkatensis) is a bit harder and less splitty but I...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Headstock drilling jig.

I don't think that came with the tuners, I suspect it was bought separately, and probably not too cheap.
    Some tuners (these days) have an obstacle (I call it) where the posts leave the plate. A...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Non-musician Luthiers

As an older guy with not the best hearing, my guess is it's more important to have good ears than to be a musician. And of course, WAY more important to have the building skills. I agree with those...
  21. Replies
    Views

Just got this today. The Style u is On my bench tommorrow. :grin: