Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Ellis F5 vs. Gibson F5 vs. Collings MF5

Recently, I attended a Bluegrass music festival where I had the opportunity to compare the tonal characteristics of three top flight mandolins: a 2006 Ellis F5, a 2003 Gibson F5 Fern, and my 2008...
  2. Replies
    Views

Tom Ellis on the news!

I saw this link a few minutes ago on Facebook by Tom. Hi Tom!

http://www.myfoxaustin.com/Clip/11170050/making-mandolins#.VOyt1R4IAts.facebook
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: My Stiver and me

Just some quick photos. I intended to take some better photos to really show it off but I keep playing it ha ha.

4. Replies
    Views

Re: Stiver Model F Purchase?

OP here. My username has been changed to MandoQuest. (I try not to use my real last name in forums if it can be helped.)

Anyhow, I am now the proud owner of a new (to me) Stiver F 2011. I took a...
  5. Replies
    Views

Collings, Fiddler's Green, and a Dream Realized.

I've had my heart set on a Collings MT since I first played one back in 2009. Well, my wife surprised me Christmas morning with an envelope containing a card from Fiddler's Green in Austin along...
  6. Thread: New Ellis F5

by ellisppi
    Replies
    Views

Re: New Ellis F5

Tony's new mandolin is done and in the box. Here are some quick snaps of it127675127676127677
  7. Re: Who are builders who, consistently, build clean F5s?

Tom Ellis' work has oftentimes been referred to on the Cafe here as "mandolin perfection". I wholeheartedly agree...and if you get a chance to play/inspect one, you undoubtedly will also. The build...
  8. Re: Who are builders who, consistently, build clean F5s?

Ellis hands down! Collings a very very close second.
  9. Thread: New Ellis F5

by Cathy
    Replies
    Views

Re: New Ellis F5

I'm waiting to hear back from our finish guy about when we can expect your mandolins to come back. Both should be ready about now. Sometimes things happen that make the process take a little...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: The Band Perry

11. Replies
    Views

Re: Gilchrist Mandolins

i will give another angle for those who are recent to the world of high end mandolins. Gilchrist has earned this lofty spot over some 30+ years of building great mandolins. i remember back in 1993...
  12. Replies
    Views

At the top end, the difference in quality is no longer a difference, its a preference. Some players love the Ellis sound, some the Gilchrist, and some the Nugget. The build quality and the...
  13. Replies
    Views

I recently saw a YouTube clip of a UK Cafe member playing along with Joe Walsh.The 'Cafe member' (name withheld), was playing an Ellis "A" style & Joe Walsh was playing his Gilchrist "A" style. OK,a...
  14. Thread: New Duff

by Brian Ray
    Replies
    Views

New Duff

Old Ebenezer on the new Duff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3pbIaRviFU
  15. Re: Nuggets and beyond - what do you get for your money?

Sean - There are diamonds in the side panels front & back & dashboard in that ''Roller''. So,plenty to admire,if that's the right word.
    A word - Having spouted off at length re.how i really can't...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F5G mahogony, not ebony

Too bad for you.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: High end mandos worth it?

Was the name on it "The Troll"?
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: What's up with Gibson?

Dave Harvey has been posting the mandolins he puts out from Gibson on facebook. Just did a new Fern model. Super quality mandolins. Dave is doing a really good job at Gibson for the mandolins.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Suits in Bluegrass

Wearing a well fitting suit of the proper material given the climate...

A suit shows respect for the music and the audience.

I recall a famous reso player opening for Del ... he and his group...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your style of 'chopping'?

Mike Marshall's tip is to concentrate on hitting the bass strings only - forget about the E string. You're more likely to get a barking chop this way - worked for me anyway.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: What do you want out of your music store?

Speak for yourself, I have never set foot inside a walmart or target store or the ilk, nor will I.
  22. Thread: CMA awards.

by mtucker
    Replies
    Views

Re: CMA awards.

Tim Mcgraw needs to eat a big ribeye or two and have a baked potato with butter and sour cream! :cool:
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: CMA awards.

For those of you that are lucky enough to have the RFD-TV channel, every Sat night there is a show called "Country`s Family Reunion", they feature a lot of the old country stars and song writers and...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Prices dropping on high end mandolins?

All those are good points. I think with any high end product though (mercedes, whatever) there is a large drop off in the prices once you "roll them off the lot". Very few of anything becomes...
  25. Re: Tell me how to play like Adam Steffey in 5 easy lessons...

Forget it !. The ONLY person to be able to play like Adam Steffey, is Adam Steffey - i'm sure that you understand what i mean. I can play a few John Reischman tunes,a few Herschel Sizemore tunes, a...
Page 1 of 2 1 2