Search:

Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: To be or not to be (a bluegrass player)

Except: if we were on a discussion forum, say, and folk(s) were generally curious about - how many (of those who respond to the poll) played BG, in their own estimation. In which case, we'd have...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner for tap tuning

To mix things up further, Siminoff's instructions for "tap tuning", that most of us were first exposed to in the Mandolin Construction Manual, instruct the reader to fix the plate to a rigid rim,...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD504 Available

:popcorn: just a matter of time.
  4. Thread: Moon Wood

by rcc56
    Replies
    Views

Re: Moon Wood

This would be a neat trick, since Stradivari was born in 1644 and would have been 180 years old "nearly 200 years ago." He did live a very long time, but not that long. And the tree line in the...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Rubner tuners on Eastman MD305?

OP FOLLOWUP:
    As I sit typing, my MD305 hangs around my neck with a new set of $72 Rubner tuners installed. (The pandemic has been great for my playing, I tilt the cam up a bit, mute the mic and...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: XT we barely new ya!

But you were replying to someone who referenced EJ74s. Don't scare me like that. LOL
  7. Re: How to Keep a Headstock Tuner from Damaging Your Instrument

Indeed, sometimes humor is a very useful device, a means of making a point while embracing the absurdity of making the point, inasmuch as a lot of the time we're talking about the minutiae of a...
  8. Re: How to Keep a Headstock Tuner from Damaging Your Instrument

Yes, apparently standards have lowered to this extent. :crying:

We're never going to agree on this. I think it's unsightly, lazy, and damaging (as several have attested) to leave the tuner clipped...
  9. Re: How to Keep a Headstock Tuner from Damaging Your Instrument

Et tu, Thile! :crying:

It takes a whole 2-3 seconds to pull a tuner out of one's pocket and clip it on, when needed, ready to tune. The rest of the time, leave it in the pocket, marring neither...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Absolute Silence

I know you probably realize that you can't possibly practice in absolute silence. Maybe just play only the rests? :)

On violins you add mass to the bridge and you can try doing that to your...
  11. Re: Looking for some insight into microtonal mandolin

Somehow reminded me of this :-)
    https://youtu.be/YSPFOz9noAI
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: How to practice Circle of 5ths

A fifth down is a fourth up, down an octave. But yea, the nomenclature is important. There is no down, its always up. Its as if we want a fourth, and we happen to want to use the octave below, and we...
  13. Re: How to Keep a Headstock Tuner from Damaging Your Instrument

“I've never quite understood the logic or the aesthetic behind that, though!”
    Flawless fake history - it’s American preference, since few of us are living anything but migratory lives shorn of long...
  14. Replies
    Views

TablEdit is back!

Mandozine was hosting a wonderful collection of TablEdit files for mandolin, but as you are probably aware it has not been reliable lately. The site went offline at the beginning of 2019, was...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Mandolins

Might be a good time to educate yourself then. Published 18 months ago here: Northfield Introduces Three New Michigan-Made Instruments. And a reminder that delving into nationalism discussions is...
  16. Thread: Intonation

by David L
    Replies
    Views

Re: Intonation

Equal temperament is NOT centered around C. It is the opposite: just temperaments are centered around a particular key (usually C), but equal temperament did away with that.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Winding string loop ends for 1890 Vinaccia

Thanks, sblock, for the warning. Indeed, it looks like a hairline crack, but in reality it is an etched line for the purpose, I imagine, of correctly aligning the holes to be drilled for the pegs. ...
  18. Re: How to use more right wrist and minimal right arm?

Second ampyjo

I tried to play with wrist only for 14 years, and although I would not say my playing was bad, there were several shortcomings looking back. One particular thing was playing...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Check this out... ever seen this before?

What? No one made a joke about it opening up quickly?

Hard to tell from the photo but it looks like it has a very wide neck at the nut—looks like more than 1-1/4", maybe even 1-1/2".
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone bar question

Reading through this thread again, I just can't let this go. In terms of tuning "tone bars", all you are doing is changing the stiffness and mass of the top, although because of the cube rule...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Preferred wire cutters?

When buying diagonal pliers from HF (really, from any hardware or home improvement store), look through the closed plier jaws closely to see if there is light coming through - IOW check that the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Adieu to a friend

Forty-four years ago I purchased a Gibson F-5, Serial #A17518, from Stutzman's Guitar Center here in Rochester. My first (turned out to be my only) bluegrass band had just broken up, but I knew that...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Curious about mandola nomenclature

I’d agree that it’s confusing but, to me, the terms mandolin, mandola, mandocello and mandobass are direct equivalents of the violin, viola, violoncello and bass and, therefore correctly named. I’m...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Marshall's Loar?

This reminds me of an old story, probably apocryphal, about the violinist Fritz Kreisler. A patron had him over for dinner after an afternoon recital, and she served Kreisler a sumptuous meal. "Mr....
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Speed of bluegrass... is it just me?

IMHO Michael Cleveland can play as fast as he wants anywhere he wants, would you want to see Hussain Bolt walk ?
Page 1 of 29 1 2 3 4