Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Holding on to your personal Holy Grail mandolin

It is a very unusual occurrence for a poster to pose a question, get three pages worth of interesting replies, but not post anything of his own story. How about it, Old Growth?
  2. Re: An afternoon picking w/ Andrew Marlin & the Griffith Loar

I was extremely lucky to have been a part of this. Andrew is one of my mandolin heroes, so to get to meet him, pick tunes with him AND to get to play and hear the Griffith Loar (along with all those...
  3. Re: An afternoon picking w/ Andrew Marlin & the Griffith Loar

I agree Olaf - the Griffith Loar has some special chemistry and mojo going on that luthiers can talk about in a more technical way...it does differ in design from most A5's...but subjectively, it is...
  4. An afternoon picking w/ Andrew Marlin & the Griffith Loar

https://youtu.be/FqcVKoA6ZLs

Thought folks might enjoy seeing photos from an afternoon picking session over at Matt Ruhland's place yesterday (and a truck...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: In praise of mandolin builder Matt Ruhland

Good eye Stompbox! Yes it is
  6. Replies
    Views

Is that a Meat Puppets poster behind him? Awesome, if so.
  7. Replies
    Views

Stopped by Matt's shop today to see the progress on the upcoming batch of F5's and have Matt do some custom neck shaping on mine. They look great and the tops ring like a bell. 175455175454
  8. Re: Mandolin Orange Live in Studio "New Sounds"

I love that
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Orange Live in Studio "New Sounds"

Well that was the spirit and history of Ella as I understand the history. John Sullivan used to lend Ella out to folks while they were waiting for their new builds, for repairs to be completed or...
  10. Re: Mandolin Orange Live in Studio "New Sounds"

Still just using a beta 57 for shows. Sold all of my mandos except the Sullivan F. I played Ella on Tides of a Teardrop and was sad to see it go but...
  11. Replies
    Views

I missed the open house yesterday. Nice to hear things apparently went well. I hear about Mr. Ruhland about hmm 1 1/2 ago I guess. I always wanted to meet him and see his work. Recently having had...
  12. Replies
    Views

I am eagerly awaiting November 1st when I will have the opportunity to meet Matt and try out a mandolin or 2. I believe today is also his birthday.
  13. Replies
    Views

In praise of mandolin builder Matt Ruhland

Had a chance to visit Matt Ruhland's shop yesterday for an informal open house and jam celebrating the completion of his latest batch of 6 A model mandolins. By the time I got there there were just...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Ruhland Mandolins shop visit

Its been 2-3 weeks since I brought home the first of the Ruhland A5's. I wasn't able to resist uploading another sound file. Hopefully, I have followed the process of uploading correctly.
  15. Replies
    Views

I think Bruce Harvie has a few slats of good wood still laying around.
  16. Replies
    Views

He’s certainly found a good wood supplier!
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando upgrade

Northfields are great. Tough to beat for that price point. Matt Ruhland in Portland, Oregon makes some good mandolins slightly above the 3k mark. Varnished F5s. Worth examining. Northfield makes a...
  18. Replies
    Views

I just learned of Ruhland mandolins from the ads in the classifieds for his latest batch. Got in touch with him (Matt Ruhland) and lined up a visit. He had four mandolins from his latest batch (16 -...
  19. Replies
    Views

Ruhland Mandolins shop visit

I have been pretty excited to have a new F5 builder pop up in the town the past year or so and have been keeping in touch with him to see his progress as he transitions to a full time builder. Last...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: dovetail neck joint

There is a Gibson shop tour on frets.com where their way is shown. Look for Opry Mills tour or something like that.
    I do it all by hand adn need no power tools. After assembly of rim I draw...
  21. Replies
    Views

Hans Brentrup Book

I was at Hans Brentrup's house the other day, and he showed me his last F5C mandolin and a new book he has written on mandolin building. Looks like very practical information with lots of...
  22. Re: BB King Is Gone (But The Thrill Of His Music Remains)

Saw him many many times, and I have a black 335 here that he signed waaay-back-when that I'm going to pull out right now and re-string...

RIP BB...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Spiriting off in French Polishing

FP is easy but it requires LOTS of experience that can be gaineb by doing it only. I sterted following Milburn tutorial but it took me few years till I realized how much pressure you need to apply...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: floating pick guard(finger rest)

Hi Dan,

I attached the floating pickguards at Weber with two screws tapped into the extension block under the fretboard. It was a secure mounting place and the holes would not be very visible if...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone building with Lutz?

T_yDWQsrajA

A certain tonewood dealer states:

"What does this mean for tonewood use? Well, the very best of all worlds!!"

Is this isn't hype and hyperbole, I don't know what is...
Page 1 of 2 1 2