Re: What's the real difference?

DevonG, “It's been attached to my hips since I got it.“
    Now that’s what I’m talking about!
    Good job Devon.

Billy
  2. Replies
    Views

Not having money to burn, my rule of thumb, which only applies to me, is: Don't buy a mandolin that is better than I am as a player. That is very subjective, but I've seen $800 players show up at...
  3. Replies
    Views

When I was 11 and started playing guitar there were probably about 5-7 lads in my school who had also started playing guitar - they ALL had shiny brand new Hondo Les Pauls that looked nice but had...
  4. Replies
    Views

I am not much more than a beginner and had not played a good mandolin until today. I was allowed to play a Weber, Yellowstone 20th anniversary edition #2 of 5. The difference in sound is amazing and...
  5. Replies
    Views

A great player will sound better on an $800 mandolin than an OK player on an $8,000 mandolin. On the other hand, if spending $8,000 on a mandolin won't break your budget, go for it. When Wayne...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Narrowed it down to three

Another vote for the Kentucky!
  7. Replies
    Views

I am fortunate enough to own three very fine mandolins. When I first got interested I had a very low end mando from a local music store. Then I started playing different instruments to get a feel for...
  8. Replies
    Views

Yes, this.

Of course, the problem is that early in the process, you don't have that ear or feel for what is right or what is wrong. I would never advise anyone to get an inferior instrument to...
  9. Replies
    Views

gilchrist was the 1st one to incorporate tone bars in mandolin bracing ,he worked on most of the loyd loar mando's after working for gruen in nashville, he took x rays
    and put them on oscilloscopes...
  10. Re: Microphone recommends for home studio recording?

Me again - just remembered I did some comparison some time ago: Five condensers and one ribbon on a Collings MF5 mandolin. Here we go:...
  11. Re: Microphone recommends for home studio recording?

That's a good audio interface. So if you have more than one input, why not consider a pair of NT5's?
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your favorite mandolin resources?

A great online FREE site is mandolessons.com although you can and should donate if you find the site useful. Another very good learning tool is Band in the Box site. But to begin your journey i would...
  13. Re: Microphone recommends for home studio recording?

Shure SM7B seems like an odd choice, it's a dynamic mic primarily for vocals. I think you'd be better off with your LDC choices.
  14. Replies
    Views

After some trial and error years ago I realized it is a "play it and you'll know it" situation. Some very expensive mandolins have been nice but not mind-blowing. I've played a few Asian mandolins...
  15. Re: Microphone recommends for home studio recording?

Shure mic usb converter https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/accessories/x2u-xlr-usb-interface,
    lets you use your workaday SM 57~ 58 in the home studio (available discounted bought with the Mic)
  16. Replies
    Views

Thanks to all! A rich thread.
  17. Replies
    Views

On this forum, it's the Ballo Liscio thread!

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/107621-Drop-Box-is-now-available-for-Italian-ballo-liscio-sheet-music?highlight=liscio

Thanks to...
  18. Re: Microphone recommends for home studio recording?

Warm Audio has some really nice mics out on the market. I have heard good things about this one: ...
  19. Re: Microphone recommends for home studio recording?

We’ve just started using the Shure KSM-137 for live performances. A little experimenting with recording has produced a great sound also. I like it very much for a one mic suits-all-option.

Billy
  20. Re: Microphone recommends for home studio recording?

Shure SM81 would be a great choice in your price range as is Shure KSM 137. Personally I would not recommend Rode NT5. It's a great mic for the money but personally I always prefer more flat response...
  21. Re: Microphone recommends for home studio recording?

Shure SM-81
    Rode NT5
  22. Replies
    Views

"Differences in response" doesn't count as a specific mention? ;)
  23. Replies
    Views

Nobody has specifically mentioned "responsiveness" as a quality of instruments. Difficult to quantify, but you'll know it when you feel it, when you're ready to feel it.

A higher-quality...
  24. Replies
    Views

Yes, you can begin your mandolin journey with either model mentioned. The more you play the more you will gain in understanding of what you want to play like, what you want to sound like. Enjoy the...
  25. Replies
    Views

Well, there have been some great resources sighted here, and a lot depends upon finding the method and teaching style which works best for you. I will put my hat in the ring also, as if it is free...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3