Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Circle of 5ths: Parte dois

Heh heh. At Hank: Thanks for the colorful descriptions. Cracked me up. Glad I could inspire some late-night wood shedding.

At Joey: I'm pretty sure it's the nitrocellulose lacquer finish. ...
  2. Replies
    Views

Circle of 5ths: Parte dois

Here you go folks. A few more ideas about getting around the circle. Comments, improvements, feedback always welcome.

*subscribe at will.

3. Elegant, Interactive Circle of 5ths Tool Online

Thought you all might dig this nice clean interactive Circle of 5ths tool! Transposes the harmonized scales into any key. Pretty cool. I'll be referring to this system in my upcoming free...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: The Circle of 5ths Part 1

Thanks for the feedback and stories y'all. Yeah committing it to memory takes some practice. I'll definitely be addressing a few quick ways to get this thing once and for all. It's an empowering...
  5. Replies
    Views

The Circle of 5ths Part 1

Catching up on my tutorials this week. Here's Circle of 5ths: Part 1. Parts 2 and 3 will cover more complex chord progressions: ii-V-I, iii-Vi-ii-V-I and diatonic chordal movement in major and...
  6. Thread: The Blues

by zak borden
    Replies
    Views

Re: The Blues

Thanks y'all! I'll be doing another one taking blues around all 12 keys in December. Stay tuned.
  7. Thread: The Blues

by zak borden
    Replies
    Views

The Blues

This week's tutorial is up. I play through "Evening Prayer Blues" and discuss a few ideas about the use of blue notes.

~o)

Enjoy. And if you dig it *subscribe*. I'm taking on new Skype...
  8. Replies
    Views

This week's tutorial is up: Improv Part 3

Here you go folks. I think this might be my best one so far. These basic ideas were a huge help to me when I was first getting started.

I'm putting these things out weekly through the end of...
  9. Just found: Footage of Tony Rice Unit. Winterhawk '92

I'm in the process of transferring and uploading some old footage of Winterhawk (now Grey Fox) Festival. I was 21 and had just picked up the mandolin. This marked the point of no return for me. I...
  10. This week's video is now live: "Beginning Improv Part 2"

This week's tutorial: Beginning Improvisation Part 2. Enjoy.

And if you dig these videos, please *subscribe* to my new channel!

I'm currently accepting new students via Skype and in person...
  11. New video tutorial is now live: Beginning Improv. Part 1

Howdy folks. This week's video tutorial is up!

All comments, heckling, observations and questions are welcome. Stop by my NEW CHANNEL and **subscribe**. I'm currently accepting new students...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Ways to Get More From Your Practice Time?

Thanks for all the good feedback and for joining in the thread folks. JDH touched on a really good point. There is **freedom in limitation**. I'm always reminding myself and my students of this. ...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: New Free Tutorial! Irish Jig Grooves.

Thanks violingirl! Glad the video was of use to you. I definitely have some Portland December shows that will post soon on my website. Including a mandolin workshop. Check back in soon.

All...
  14. New Video Tutorial: A few thoughts on Jig Grooves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUTtaiHrnds&list=PL0tmy3P6-Vqb_V1iqH7vU60wuKVBuVkdv

For more tutorials, stop by my channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/user/songszak8
  15. Replies
    Views

New Free Tutorial! Irish Jig Grooves.

Hey Folks,

Here's this week's tutorial: a few thoughts on basic Irish jig playing and breathing more rhythm and life into your tunes - both for melody and backing. If you dig the new lessons,...
  16. Replies
    Views

Ways to Get More From Your Practice Time?

As we head into the colder months, a lot of students have been wanting to really focus their practice time. So I wrote up a list of a few primary strategies I've used over the years.

I'd love to...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: First song after 1 week.

Nice job! Super clear picking and nice timing. I'm actually working on a video tutorial this week all about jigs and fun stuff you can do with 6/8. Should be up by Sunday. To echo the above,...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Elzic's Farewell to Baião

Hey Bill,

Thanks. It's a Collings Mf5 Serial #52. Been playing it for 11 yrs. Never needed another. Wanted maybe. But never needed.
    -z
  19. Replies
    Views

Elzic's Farewell to Baião

Hey folks,

Here's a new clip hot off the presses. One of mine paired with the old timey chestnut Elzic's Farewell. Enjoy. Stop by my new Youtube channel for a growing collection of new...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: New Free Tutorials Site

Hey folks: Here's the newest video in the series. It shows how you can build augmented, diminished and 7 chords from your basic 3 major triads shapes. Enjoy! Share, comment and subscribe if you...
  21. New Tutorial: Build your own chords #4! Aug, Dim and 7 chords.

Hey folks,

I'm excited to launch video #4 in my series on building your own chords. Check out all four parts on my new Youtube channel. I'll be launching a brand new video - topics from...
  22. Replies
    Views

New Free Tutorials Site

Hey y'all,

Just thought I'd share my new lesson channel with you. In the coming months, I'll be loading it up with crisp, professional, *free* tutorials discussing all things mandolin. From...
  23. Replies
    Views

Brazillionaires in HD @ Empty Sea Studios

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKX0y7otFo4&feature=youtu.be