Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

I spent enough time with Frank to share that opinion. From what I was told by others who knew him better than I, he was also a topnotch softball pitcher. Most definitely eccentric on stage or with an...
  2. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

For those who might be unfamiliar with Wakefield, he is also well-known for original pieces like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Y9eEfneOTg
  3. Re: Has anyone heard about a crazy mandolinist named Frank Wakefi

Yeah. I managed a music store in the SF bay area back in the seventies, and Wakefield was pretty much a "regular," even attending our jam sessions on occasion. Yep, and he is a bit of a nut, but in...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Info on Eastman 304 or 504 oval holes

I have been playing a 304 for a couple of years. I am not sure what you mean by "tingy." It's difficlult describing sound in words, no? :)

But I can tell you that is most definitely different...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Ability to Jam

Apropos to playing lead:

This sounds exactly like what I went through not that long ago. I had no "ear" for a good lead. Added to it that I often found myself playing along in not-so-common keys...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Astroturf Noise

I like it. It reminds me of some of the musical "ramblings" I experimented with in my college days, though these folks are much better at it than I was. I do remember a number my "partner in crime"...
  7. Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

[QUOTE=Verne Andru;1903139]
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obDk115TkTg

Yeah. I am thinking that's not a sound I am after. But hey, at least I know what "flanging" sounds like. (Well, actually, I...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: How to transition chop chords cleanly

[QUOTE=bmfsfan615;1903130]Hello All,

As a beginner, this forum has been a tremendous help as I attempt to learn so thanks to everyone who takes the time to provide advice to us rookies.

9. Re: A likely contentious opinion on electric mandolins

I bought my first mandolin about forty-five years ago. I did play a Mandocaster for a while about fifteen years ago. I never really go into the sound, however. I also own an Godin A8. It's not a bad...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman ERM El Rey

Let us know how you like it. The more I play mine, the more I enjoy it. I played a set with a C/W band a couple of weeks ago. It most definitely added a new "flavor" to the mix. And for swing, oh...
  11. Replies
    Views

Well, maybe my use of TI's are the reason I don't own a Ferrari. :)
  12. Replies
    Views

Just for giggles, I put TIs on my El Rey. They work very nicely, and also seem to help the "weak e-string," though it wasn't really very "weak."
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Walnut for a neck?

I had a banjo built of walnut many years ago. Not a problem. I also built a 5-string electric mandolin with a walnut neck, and have built a few custom rifle stocks in my time. Good piece of walnut is...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastiks on a Collings MT?

I have been a fan of TIs for years. And I DO play bluegrass. I have them on all my mandos -- even my electrics -- except for my oval-hole F copy, where the Daddario's still shine. And I also prefer...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone know of a suitable clip-on tuner?

I used to carry a tuning fork everywhere I went. I THINK I still remember how to use one.... maybe.... :)
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone Traveler

Well. The "science" is pretty weak. A solution? Store your instrument on a stand next to a good loudspeaker. Then groove on loud Bach Organ music :)
  17. Re: Mandocello question: should I add strap button, and K&K picku

"Am I over thinking this? If you have/had a mandocello, do you think it would be worth while to both drill a strap button into the treble-side of the neck-heel, and also put a K&K pickup via the...
  18. Re: Pick Choice on Electric Mandolin vs Acoustic

I have been "breaking in" My El Rey for a few months and have been using the same picks (Wegen and Thiele). I did discover one thing while using other picks: while I like the feel of the more...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Crossrock Mandolin Cases

And, no doubt, that does happen from time to time.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Crossrock Mandolin Cases

Chinese, yes. Flimsy junk? Nope. I have both the F and the D Guitar.
  21. Re: Tell Me About Playing Mandola Vs. Mandolin

I play the mandola with exactly the same fingering as the mandolin. The only difference is that to make a 7-fret stretch, at least close to the nut, I have to shift my hand position a bit to reach...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Upgrade from Mid-mo

Some people do believe that a "decent" mando starts at about $3000. I have been playing mandos for about 35 years, and my opinion differs. You should easily find a "decent" mando in your price...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Arch/carved top mandola under 1000$?

I have the "current" Eastman mandola. Previously, I had the "top-end" (815? 915?) Eastman, which was lost in a fire. It was very nice. That being said, I am not disappointed with the 315 at all. Much...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue Chip v Primetone?

:))
  25. Re: replacement for Eastman mandocello tuners

I switched the stock ones out for some Grovers... 409s?

I had to move the shafts on the tuners (short ones to long ones, etc,) and drill one new hole for each side, but no holes show and they work...
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3