Search:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds

Very nice. That is a challenging piece but you nailed it.
  2. Re: The Beatles: With A Little Help From My Friends

Two thumbs up!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: The Beatles: Across the Universe

Excellent!
  4. Thread: arthritis

by Nashville
    Replies
    Views

Re: arthritis

I have a more radical suggestion/solution that has worked for me. I am 70 and the last few years have been tough with more and more joint pain and symptoms of arthritis. It seemed like soon I would...
  5. Thread: Hearing aids

by Nashville
    Replies
    Views

Re: Hearing aids

I took my mandolin into my audiologist's office and played live while we made the adjustments to the music setting. Playing a mandolin is a lot different than just listening to the radio and...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: I can’t find The Blues in my Mandolin

Just my opinion, but this is why a mandolin never sounds bluesy to me, no bending notes. Without the bending the mandolin just sounds like an attempted approximation using a blues scale. But some...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Playing in very cold temps

I once had an issue with a Guild guitar. Played a gig a couple hours away from home. Returned late at night and all my gear was in the back of a pickup, so guitar was very cold as temps were below...
  8. Re: Embarassing Question - Which Mandolin to Bring to Jam?

Bring either. And absolutely don't worry about anything. It's a jam. It's supposed to be fun. You are a newbie. Most musicians will respect that and try to be helpful. Congratulations for your first...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone busk with their mandolin?

Nashville in the 90's, that's when I came here. Busked down on 2nd Ave when there was a great street scene for locals visiting all the second hand stores and there were crafts people, artisans, and...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: What is the story behind the "scroll"

In my opinion, this is my opinion. And I'm sticking to it or sticking it to myself.
    While there doesn't seem to be any measurable research done that we are aware of, I do think F models sound...
  11. Replies
    Views

Poll: Re: Do you use a Tone Gard?

No. Tried it for a couple weeks. Sold it. Hated it. I tend to hold the mandolin slightly away from my body anyway, so I really didn't notice an improvement in tone or volume but what I did notice was...
  12. Re: Pick Choice on Electric Mandolin vs Acoustic

I find that a Fender medium (.72mm or .73mm) works well on electric mandolin for me. For acoustic mandolin my preferred pick seems to change every so often.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick comparison

1) Get an assortment of picks and then do your own comparison.
    2) Find your favorite(s) and use it.
    3) And don't be surprised if your opinion changes again and again over time.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: My First Mandolin- A Keeper or keep looking

I think learning the mandolin is a journey of unknown length and breadth. Important just to get started, jump in and see where it takes you.
    My first mandolin was $25 made in Korea back in the 70's...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Shopping in Nashville

I think you should want to pay Tennessee sales tax because it does good things for us here! So don't seek to avoid it, just embrace it. :-)
  16. Replies
    Views

Cotten Music was a great store back in the day when it was actually owned by Richard Cotten, but it's not a great store if you want to be steeped in mandolin heaven. I believe the mother company...
  17. Replies
    Views

The Mandolin Store: https://themandolinstore.com/
    PLANNING A VISIT?
    We are open by appointment at our store at 907 Rivergate Parkway Suite A4, Goodlettsville TN. . We offer appointments Tuesday –...
  18. Thread: Dawgology

by Nashville
    Replies
    Views

Re: Dawgology

Fascinating!
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite stand?

I really like the Hercules Uke stand. Hercules Stands UKS100B Auto Grip Ukulele Stand

Affordable and does the job well:...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Forum Search, Trip to Nashville

Well, definitely visit Carters and Gruhns, which you've got on your list already. You might also enjoy visiting The Mandolin Store which is north of the city a little bit, just call first. And...
  21. Re: Need Info: Size of Ellis Nickel Frets and EVO Frets

Just what I had installed on my Big Mon, replacing the nickel frets. Love it! 2nd mandolin I've upgraded and I will do the same on any mandolin I own, once I wear out the nickel.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Blue Chip v Primetone?

Years ago I tried every recommended mandolin pick I could find and settled on between 1.2mm and 1.5mm as the right gauge for me. Then I started comparing the different brands and finally got a...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Fret Material / Type Differences

Here's a photo of what happens for me with the nickel based fret wire:

The first 9 frets especially get severely grooved after less than one year of playing. There is never a good...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: What strings have you tried on your Kimble?

I don't have a Kimble, but I recently tried every set of string offered by D'Addario that had the same gauges as the EJ74 set. Many of the sets were twice as expensive. And in the end, to my ear...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Kimble F with new style headstock

Wow!
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4