Search:

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: How to Keep a Headstock Tuner from Damaging Your Instrument

Since my previous reply, I’ve added the clip less NS Micro to my Northfield, and it works perfectly. I went for the top D string tuner, so it sits flush with the end of the headstock, catches all...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile's personal luthier

Who cares? Having Thile's guy setup your mandolin isn't going to make you play like him.

(kidding)
  3. Glad to see such power and support behind this...

Glad to see such power and support behind this movement.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Porch Pride

I swear I read that Jesus said to love everyone.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Tone Guard!!

Just got my Tone-Gard from Banjo Ben’s store, install took about 5 seconds, and it took another 5 seconds to realize it was a good investment.

Added bonus: it’s just heavy enough that my...
  6. Re: The latest in plectrum technology.....

Amen.

I brought a new to me mandolin to band practice recently. Of course I was curious to know what everybody thought about it, but I know that I think it sounds better than my other one, it’s...
  7. Re: The latest in plectrum technology.....

I use BlueChips at $35 each. I can use most any pick, but the BCs don’t slip around in my fingers. Anybody listening to me play might not hear $35 worth of pick, but they won’t see me getting pissed...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: DR strings (thanks Ivan)

All good, and I agree we’re in agreement, haha.

Hope they work for you.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: DR strings (thanks Ivan)

When I started playing mandolin and got on this forum (2016), Ivan was an extremely active member. Always enjoyed his point of view. After a brief hiatus, I returned to the mandolin and the Cafe, and...
  10. Replies
    Views

Jammin' with Sam

There's some pretty wonderful stuff on here. For instance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ORvK7aHp8
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: New Pomeroy 2 point on its way

Wow, super cool looking instrument!
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: String woes

I've been checking out that site, inspired by your frequent mentioning of them.

At $6 a set for whatever goofball gauges I want, it seems like a killer deal. Maybe I should get an 11, 15, 25, 40...
  13. Re: Stiff right elbow after much tremelo - what am I doing wrong?

In one of his instruction videos, Bryan Sutton stressed paying attention to anything tensing up when you play. His advice is to stop, figure out what’s causing the tension, and remedy it on the spot....
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Cumberland bridge on Loar LM500 ?

How much variation can there be between different pieces of wood? I’d think that anyone who spends time playing acoustic instruments would realize there’s a lot of variation. If there weren’t, all...
  15. Re: New (to me) Gibson A5L . To scoop of not....

When asked if his mando's tone changed after cutting off the extension, Sam Bush replied, "Yeah, the annoying clicking went away!"

I'd be curious to hear if anyone prefers the extension intact. I...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: my homemade mandolin and case

I really like that binding. Fancy without being gaudy.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Cleaning a fretboard

That stuff is awesome. It's super cheap, and makes everything smell and look great. I have a guitar with a pau ferro fretboard that always had that dry look. A little Howard's, and it looks...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Do you name your instruments?

No. For whatever reason, and I’ve never felt compelled to name an instrument.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Antiqued/distressed instruments?

I like well done relics, especially electric guitars. I got a Telecaster recently, and stripped the nasty poly finish off the neck and fretboard. Before oiling and waxing it, I rubbed some dark stain...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Does my mandolin sound cheap???

John Suhr, who makes awesome electric guitars, has a pretty great quote, something like: Most tone problems can be cured with practice.

Tone is an ongoing journey, and you’re at the beginning of...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Dr. Arm for Mandolin

Did anyone say or even imply that using an armvrest or a Tonegard would make them play or sound like anyone else?

Are you suggesting that those using arm rests or Tonegards aren't making the...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Gangstagrass?

I think the overwhelming majority of artists are into all sorts of goofy stuff their fans would hate.

Incidentally, Mark, if you haven’t watched Justified, it’s pretty great.
  23. Re: What are your favorite albums featuring mandolin?

Mike Marshall and Chris Thile “Live Duets” is pretty awesome.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD: Northfield Big Mon

Hey Drew, you’ll be hearing it on Artistworks soon :) Just saw your video of Mike’s solo, pretty impressive!
  25. Replies
    Views

NMD: Northfield Big Mon

I recently parted with my Gibson Doyle Lawson in favor of a 2019 Northfield Big Mon. It’s only been a few days, but it was a good move. I’m anxiously awaiting the report from the DL’s new owner, and...
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4