Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: 50 Minuets by John Goodin download

If you can learn by ear you can download at least 19 of them as mp3s here: https://johngoodin.bandcamp.com/album/telemann-menuets-for-two-mandolins-1728
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: My first Bowlback

I have a few Italian bowlbacks with a combination brass nut / string spacer and zero fret.

The assumed wisdom is that with a zero fret that open strings would sound more the same as fretted ones....
  3. Replies
    Views

The zero fret is found more often in Europe. It avoids the very delicate job of shaping the nut slots to a few thousandths of an inch, and friction issues that are related that make sticky tuning....
  4. Replies
    Views

My first bowlback was Czech as well; bought in 1965, new, from a pawnshop for $39. It had brass frets which I wore out in about a year, and I was told it would be a lot cheaper to buy a new one than...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Kent Model 201 Bowlback Mandolin

I love it, David. So true.

Once you go bowl, you're hooked, no matter how many other types of mandolins you may enjoy playing.

Mick
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Seagull S8 Mandolin armrest question?

Why not make your own? You can get violin chin rest clamps from International Violin. All you need to do is cut a piece of wood to the outline that you want the rest to be, carve and sand it to...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: TC Electronic Polytune Clip-on Tuner

Thanks a lot yall. You just made me order one. But I got the unitune version. My second snark is falling apart and acting up and i'm done with them. i loved they were cheap and accurate enough when...
  8. Replies
    Views

So I had a Polytune for years on my guitar. Loved it. It didn't get used much on the mandolin because it was kind of large to leave on all the time. But then the screw that held the tuner on the...
  9. Replies
    Views

The TC polytune works much better for higher tuned instruments like violin and mandolin than any other tuner I have. I have a TC polytune 2 on my fiddle/mandolin pedal board and it works great. Only...
  10. Replies
    Views

the TC polytunes have replaced all my other tuners for guitar, mandolin, weissenborn, banjo, and dulcimer. they are fast, accurate, easy to see, and no battery drain. I'm well into my second year and...
  11. Replies
    Views

I'm a big fan of the Unitune, especially in strobe mode. Super bright display and so accurate.
  12. Replies
    Views

I just got one of these a couple of weeks ago. It is so much better than the Snark I was using beforehand. Much faster to identify the string you're tuning and a nicer screen, too.

The polytune...
  13. Replies
    Views

No. Works for guitar, not so much for mandolin.
    Nevertheless, I use this tuner on strobe every day.

Edit: Adding: I agree with Paul, who was typing while I was typing.:))
  14. Replies
    Views

In my experience, the "polytune" feature doesn't really work the same way on the mandolin as it does on a guitar -- showing which strings are sharp and flat and whatnot in a single view after a broad...
  15. Re: Using an amp is new to me - could use some help with my setti

There have been countless wonderful performances miked with a Shure SM 58.

Power drain by solid state amps is small when not having signal going through them, i.e. when you are not playing. You...