Search:

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: ArtistWorks for Old Folks

Music theory does nothing for one’s “playing”. When playing one does not have time to do the mental constructions that music theory entails. Music theory does have a great influence on how we plan...
  2. Thread: Aria Mandolin

by EddieB
    Replies
    Views

Re: Aria Mandolin

Thanks Greg, I too have a couple of early 80s Japanese made Aria guitars and likewise they play easy sound good and didn't break the bank.
  3. Re: Wanting a better treble out of my Collings Mandolin

Try John Pearse 2160 (12,15,26,40) or 2170 (12,16,26,40) phosphor bronze strings with a BlueChip CT55 pick. This should help fatten up the treble strings.
  4. Re: Wanting a better treble out of my Collings Mandolin

Or just experiment with a range of picks - thicknesses, materials, shapes…. The rounder tips have more of an effect on the treble strings, too, IME.

I like the GHS A270 set with the .016 A...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Frank Zappa quote

I love the FZ quote Pete posted. My favorite Miles Davis quote, hands down, is, “When you hit a wrong note, it’s the next note that you play that determines if it’s good or bad.” It takes a...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

Some months ago This topic came up in a conversation with Marla Fibish - an internationally known Irish mandolinist. Her suggestion: “no need to play all the notes” - just play the important ones.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Keeping up with the Fiddlers

Busy weekend. I've been taking note of everyone's excellent advice, but haven't had a chance to weigh in.

I'm in a learning environment, so there are mixed abilities among all the instruments,...
  8. Replies
    Views

Ladder in B-flat Major

This is one of my warm up exercises, recorded during hybrid-style-folksongs sessions in March 6, 2020.

1dMfTwkHH24

Toomas Rannu
    Flat-backed mandolin, crafted by Viljar Kuusk in 2008 (Tallinn,...
  9. Jimi Hendrix: Little Wing Part 2 (9th chords)

https://youtu.be/UA4YkLvoDAU
  10. Re: Ordered a Northfield F5S, Received a Big Mon Wide Nut by Mist

Hi guys,

I’m keeping it. I’m working it out with the vendor and it will end up being a pretty sweet deal.

Just so you know, after they contacted me earlier in the week, they said that their...
  11. Steve Morse, Rob Wasserman, David Grisman 1985 Merv Griffin Show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BsZvQDGAuU
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: To Speed Neck or Not to Speed Neck

Heat and humidity from living 20+ years in Florida convinced me of the value of speed necks especially on my '56 F-12. The F-12 had a black painted finish on the neck that was extremely sticky so I...
  13. Re: Learning a Ronnie McCoury solo everyday for the month of Janu

Ronnie McCoury Month | Day 5: Little Cabin On The Home

Always fun to see what Ronnie does over a standard bluegrass number. This one has Monroe DNA all over it!

auVi8jzycrI
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: thin sounding treble strings on Collings?

All,
    I put on some EJ75s a couple of days ago and it did make a huge difference. The instrument has no more "blattiness" and is louder. But, it did lose some of the responsiveness (especially to a...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Approaches to Practice...

I'm at the learn-a-fiddle-tune-then-record-it stage.Then post it to those super friendly SAW guys, then learn-another-fiddle-tune... and on.

Always with a metronome, of course.
    While I'm learning...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando and Fiddle duo's

https://youtu.be/D7N9qnFQU5E?si=BMCfJQZ81hBqYlSG
  17. Thread: Arpeggios

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: Arpeggios

That is a very powerful technique, and a ton of fun. I learned arpeggio shapes "keyed" to one finger. Put that finger on a note, and one can play the major and minor arpeggio for that note. I use my...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Double Stop Lessons

Thanks for all the kind comments so far. I've released another video today and this time we take a look at finding our triad arpeggios in G,C and D and our pentatonics using the double stop shapes we...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: What flavor Bluechip should I try?

I know all too well about regrets. I have owned a guitar for over 25 years and a fiddle for close to that and never really learned to play either because I put too much pressure on myself to be good....
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Double Stop Lessons

Alright, second video in this double stop series is up and running. We take the G major double stop shapes we learned in the first lesson and apply them to C and D.

GickuZACBPw
  21. Replies
    Views

Double Stop Lessons

Hello folks. It's been a while since I posted on Mandolin Cafe but I thought some of you would enjoy some of the free resources that I am sharing over on YouTube and my Patreon.

First video in my...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Rough Fret Edges

Indeed they do... for a price.
    We can make our own by simply grinding safe edges on standard files (flat, triangular, other).
  23. Replies
    Views

Like John said. They make specialty files for this purpose. Stew Mac sells them, others too probably. Said files have a safe face without teeth that rides on the fretboard without scarring it while...
  24. Replies
    Views

Or fret sprout from being under humidified in a previous life (seems unlikely if it's originally from Florida, but it's possible).
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Help for stage fright & essential tremor

My performance anxiety is very much affected by how I visualize the outcome. How I manipulate my expectations.

If instead of being afraid of screwing up, I envision people liking what I have done,...
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4