Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Flame Arabesque Sound Holes on Mandolin?

I wouldn't give up on it... Try generating some forms which play around/within the boundaries of the traditional f-hole shape. So instead of being a direct translation, it would be more of an homage....
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Submit a caption for this photo

"Honey, I said I wanted an electric mandolin amp for my birthday."
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Talent vs Practice vs ???

It's pointless to wonder if you have talent or not. The smarter and longer you work at anything, the better you'll be, and you cannot know your limits in advance. Whole new vistas open up as you...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: What if you could be really good.

"What if you could be really good?" You CAN be really good.
    What if you decided to really practice? I don't mean to be glib or offensive, but being as there are no music genie's hiding in lamps...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: How the banjo gets its tone

I just want to say "Thank you" to the OP for spelling "its" correctly.
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Musical loners?

When you pick with extroverts, what happens? Blah blah blah, this guy I know, my surgery, the cable company etc. All night long. Around 3am, oh, I guess let's pick one.

I'm all for introverts,...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Musical loners?

I know a few people I wish would overcome being extroverts.

One good thing about having a lot of musicians in my circle of friends: Often, when I'm at a party and the small talk is driving me up...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Chris Thile on Jimmy Fallon

I know a lot of mandolin players on the planet. I know a lot of people that have played with Chris. I know a lot of people that have done business with him. I know the people well that have...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Do you take your mandolin out of the house?

Some people are afraid of the slightest scratch or ding. They forget these instruments are made to be played. And what is a more enjoyable activity tha gathering with friends and making music on...
  10. Thread: Michael Kelly

by Tobin
    Replies
    Views

Re: Michael Kelly

I suppose it's possible that they had two different facilities, make the lower-grade models in China and the upper-grade models in South Korea. I don't know for sure.

My MK Legacy FS-E was my...
  11. Re: what was/is your biggest problem as a beginner?

Here's the thing I found: you have to learn how to play twice. Once alone in your room, and once again with or in front of other people. I believe the reason is that when you're practicing alone in...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: considering quitting the mandolin

I'm on kevbuch's side here, with the proviso that I disagree with letting temporary frustration threaten what could be -- apparently is -- an emotionally supportive activity, learning to play the...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: considering quitting the mandolin

Music has been good to you so far. It won't give up on you if you don't give up on it. Something will turn up sooner or later.
    Never curse an uncomfortable situation - it's always there to teach you...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Better to ____ than to ____

Actually I do play the banjo, and I enjoy it. I'm not even really bashing it - it's what I laughingly, or laughably, call "a joke". If this was an orchestra web site, I would have made a gag about...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Better to ____ than to ____

OK, I'll bite. What is "makeup setting spray?"
  16. In fact, Luke asked him the best intervallic jump...

In fact, Luke asked him the best intervallic jump for a Lydian improv. Han said, 'use the fourth, Luke'
  17. Thread: N. Mandela

by Pasha Alden
    Replies
    Views

Re: N. Mandela

Oh dear Mandolinlee: Mick and all mando friends thank you so much. Yes, on my fb page there are a lot of special quotes and moments of Madiba Tata Nelson Mandela captured. It feels as if a part...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Capo conspiracy?

Yes, that seems fair to me.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Bluegrass- the 800 pound gorilla in the room?

Mandollirius I was really enjoying the contributions you have made to this discussion started. Until the last one. It is unfortunate you chose to attack me personally. I started this thread in good...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Two Finger vs Closed Chords

Point taken. There is nothing that is not worth learning. Its all good.

Thing is that, IMO, they are sometimes not the most beautiful sounding chord. The four finger G chop chord, to my year is...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Players who inspired you take up the mandolin

I'm not able to add any players to this thread, but just wanted to say for me it was the mandolin came first, then that led me to seek out all the great players.
    No one style, no one player, I just...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: What are you playing for the holidays?

God Rest ye Merry Gentlemen sounds awesome on a mando. Give it a go.
  23. Re: Why are Mandolins more fun than Guitars? :confused:

...because everybody and their brother plays guitar. I want to be different and add something different to the sound.
    (and im actually a piano/keys player!)
  24. Replies
    Views

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Cafe

A bit of a mandolin-themed spoof:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Cafe is a wholly remarkable book. Perhaps the most remarkable, certainly the most successful book ever to come out of the great...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Have you named your mandolin?

I only name things that move by themselves. When my mandolin greets me at the door and wants to sit in my lap, then and only then will I name him, her or it.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4