Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Gilchrist Using The Tone Traveler On Mike Compton's Mandolin

The individual that started this thread has been permanently banned from the Mandolin Cafe and Classifieds for posing as an interested party for a product and attempting to drum up enthusiasm for it...
  2. Re: D'Addario is discontinuing EFT76 mandola strings

Newtone - https://newtonestrings.com/shop/custom-string-configurator/ - they don’t sound any different to me that the equivalent gauges of d’Addario.
  3. Re: D'Addario is discontinuing EFT76 mandola strings

Another possibility is getting custom-made sets from emando.com. Martin is a Café member and would surely be able to put together sets to your specifications. He doesn't have pre-set mandola sets...
  4. Re: D'Addario is discontinuing EFT76 mandola strings

Have you considered trying Mapes strings? These are comparatively inexpensive (just $6 to $8 a set), coated, and available in whatever custom gauges that you care to specify! Just go to their...
  5. Replies
    Views

Pick Review for an Apollo Casein 1.4mm

This video is especially made for Cafe members! I know we always talk a lot about equipment, and picks are definitely no exception here. So I thought I'd make an exhaustive review of the Apollo pick...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: John Goodin passing

I'm really saddened by this news. I met John at the CMSA convention and enjoyed talking with him. His compositions are excellent and lots of fun to play. Our ensemble will be playing his Waitin' on...
  7. Re: Difficulty finding Elixir Nanoweb coated strings

The new D'Addario XS strings are coated like Elixirs, although the XS are Phosphor-Bronze rather than 80/20. Seems the XS are spiral-wrapped whereas the Elixirs have an extruded coating. In any case,...
  8. Replies
    Views

Happy 75th Birthday Today, David Grisman!

Happy birthday to the Dawg, born this date 1945 in Hackensack, New Jersey. Still making beautiful and meaningful sounds after changing the face of acoustic music forever!

Above: David...
  9. D'Addario's new Chris Thile signature mandolin pick

I recently got in one of the new Chris Thile signature mandolin picks from D'Addario (Model 2CA7-01CT), which are currently retailing for $25 apiece. That's fairly expensive for a single pick, but...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: No more EXP74's?

I switched to the Elixir nano web and love them. They sound great and last a long time.
  11. Re: Article: After 35 Years in Business Retrofret Moving to New L

Paid a visit to Retrofret today. Love the new location. The interior of the store is much changed, very inviting and they've really created a beautiful space to show off their instruments. Spent a...
  12. Re: Ranger "Travel" Mandolin from the Weber's..Thoughts or Opinio

The Ranger has a bigger body cavity than the Sweet Pea, a more interesting body shape (I think), MOP inlay on the peghead, an external tailpiece rather than the integral tailpiece of the Sweet Pea...
  13. Replies
    Views

Blues, Stomps, & Rags #1

I notice that not much is happening by way of blues here, so I decided to start posting a blues or blues-related tune a week (allowing for "the best-laid plans of mice and men...") for blues...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: J. S. Bach The Cello Suites for Mandolin

mandolinfox, since you obviously read, you can get the all manner of classical music at imslp.org

Here's the cello suites on their site:...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Dave Apollon Photos

OK, here's what I know about the blonde F-12 (prompted by our fearless leader, Sir Scott). About 5 years ago, I had the opportunity to obtain a 1954 blonde Gibson F-12 (the label says F-12; F-12N is...
  16. Pickin' Salt Creek with Frank Solivan and Dirty Kitchen

I had a chance to sit in for a tune with these guys at the Station Inn - what an amazing band!959_AYNS_7A
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Radius-ing the fretboard

Replacing a fretboard with a new, radiused fretboard is the most expensive way to do it. That would mean (i) removing the existing fretboard, (ii) trimming the new board to fit your existing neck,...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: The Beatles for Solo Mandolin

Hi Everyone, Sorry, late to the discussion, but I just discovered the forum. I did the "Beatles for Solo Mandolin" arrangements and yes, they are chord/melody style arrangements. I had done the...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: The Beatles for Solo Mandolin

Mike Marshall was reading this discussion and offered this via an email.

20. Replies
    Views

Re: Battery busking/session amp.

I love my Roland AC-33. 30 loud watts plugged in, 20 loud watts on batteries and it has a very natural sound.
    I haven't tried the other two choices.
  21. Re: LADY BE GOOD chord melody by Aaron Weinstein

Wow, I'm so thrilled with the positive response to this video!

Mark, I'm not currently scheduled to be at Django this June.
    Mandolinfox, the real truth...the dirty little secret is that there...
  22. LADY BE GOOD chord melody by Aaron Weinstein

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2INGG8UMuBI&feature=youtu.be
  23. Replies
    Views

New Chord Melody from Aaron Weinstein

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0xzfa8DcYk
  24. Re: Mozart and Bach sheet music for mandolin?

Bach cello suites for treble clef. Posted multiple times in the forum but not lately. That should keep you busy for a few days.

25. Tiny Moore article from the Texas State Historical Association

A nice article about Tiny from the Texas State Historical Association. I had no idea he was also inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame (as a member of the Texas Playboys).

MOORE, BILLY...
Page 1 of 2 1 2