Search:

Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: First build with James Condino

The discussion James and I had about selecting the bars was mostly around the relationship of pitches between the two bars selected. Of course, if one of the bars sounded dead (as several did), they...
  2. Re: Looking for information about the history of mandolin orchest

For more background on the NY mandolin scene, you might check "Howard Frye and Me" by Norman Levine, published in 1999 by Plucked String (Norm's company).

Norm and Howard came up in the '40s...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Finally, a Lyon & Healy Set

Yes, those are the standard D'Addarios - though I have been toying with putting flats on it. How doe sthe sound compare to your Vega?
  4. Replies
    Views

Here you go -- one of my first and favorite arrangements for the Ecco Mandolin Ensemble, Traveller's Prayer by John Renbourn, performed on all L&H Instruments (the dola, cello, and bass from the...
  5. Looking for information about the history of mandolin orchestras.

Dear all,

I'm a journalist who is writing an article about the NY Mandolin Orchestra which is celebrating its centenary in April. I would like suggestions for books, articles, material etc. about...
  6. Replies
    Views

Actually, Brad that is EXACTLY what I want to do. Produce a concert/talk where my group (Ecco Mandolin Ensemble) plays a piece or two on the L&H set and then another few tunes on my Gibson set. You...
  7. Re: Article: Andy Statman Rides the Monroe Bus

Noting the anniversary of this feature.
  8. Replies
    Views

Where is Mando Camp North being held?
    When in late April? The New York Mandolin Orchestra is holding its 100th anniversary (free) concert at 2:00 PM on April 28th at the Church of the Holy Trinity...
  9. Replies
    Views

Finally, a Lyon & Healy Set

It took a good long while and more wheeling and dealing (and spousal apologizing) than I've ever done, but I've managed to put together a full Lyon & Healy Quartet.

All are player grade - the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Slowplayers.Org. Is Back on Line

Glad to have it back
    https://slowplayers.org/1295-2/
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Artistworks vs Peghead Nation

I am on the intermediate course on AW with Sierra now, and very happy with it. I have also encountered a few instances where the tab does match what she played. I mentioned this in one of my video...
  12. Sarah Jarosz full concert video 2/27/24

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPDHphVysuU

Sarah is *the* most prominent player of guitar bodied octave mandolins in the world today!

Pete
  13. Re: Article: Rising Brazilian Mandolinist Elisa Meyer

Noting the anniversary of this feature.
  14. Re: Removing Adhesive Residue - 1930s Regal 'Custom Built'

I generally prefer naphtha. BTW you can drop lighter fluid from your list, lighter fluid is naphtha.
  15. Re: Removing Adhesive Residue - 1930s Regal 'Custom Built'

Naphtha IS lighter fluid, and should be safe. DO NOT use acetone, don't even get it near an instrument unless it has a poly finish, in which case anything should be fine.
  16. Re: 'Fast Car' Grammy Guitar - connection to Michael Heiden

Fun interview with Judy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sf-LMDqMtBE

sf-LMDqMtBE
  17. Re: 'Fast Car' Grammy Guitar - connection to Michael Heiden

Just clicked on this thread...
    Although I haven't seen her in some years, I consider Judy Threet a friend. She is an excellent builder with a deep understanding of guitars and how they work.
  18. Re: Removing Adhesive Residue - 1930s Regal 'Custom Built'

+1 on keeping it mild: if it's a varnish finish, then not many glues will stick to it too well anyway, so the residue should sloth off with a bit of polishing, maybe even a fingernail, and then...
  19. Re: Removing Adhesive Residue - 1930s Regal 'Custom Built'

I like rubbing kerosene on offending adhesive residue. Kerosene is a relatively gentle solvent and hasn't harmed any of my instruments. If you get your car detailed, the "lotion" they use to remove...
  20. Re: Removing Adhesive Residue - 1930s Regal 'Custom Built'

Mineral spirits or naptha are my number one choice.
    You can also try mineral oil.
    Do not use acetone. It is too agressive, and will eat lacquer, shellac, and spirit varnish.
  21. Re: Removing Adhesive Residue - 1930s Regal 'Custom Built'

As being a beekeeper and honey producer a lot of people use mayonnaise to remove the adhesive from returned bottles before sterilizing them. Seems harmless enough but I am no expert.
  22. Re: Removing Adhesive Residue - 1930s Regal 'Custom Built'

I know people are going to lose their stuff over this but If that was mine I'd be using WD-40 on a soft cloth.
  23. Re: Removing Adhesive Residue - 1930s Regal 'Custom Built'

Hi Brad -

If you can wait a couple of weeks until I get back home, I can send you some unused dynamo label material to test and see what works best to remove the glue. Once you know that, you...
  24. Re: 'Fast Car' Grammy Guitar - connection to Michael Heiden

That is some fine sleuthing there! I'm so impressed with that story, and to see that Tracy Chapman has been playing this instrument publicly going back to 2001. There's something really special about...
  25. Re: 'Fast Car' Grammy Guitar - connection to Michael Heiden

Thanks so much for posting this Brad.
    Brings back a memory of the night in 1988 when I saw a young and relatively unknown girl with a big dreadnought guitar come onto the stage alone in a huge...
Page 1 of 40 1 2 3 4