Search:

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: type of mandolins played in Colonial America

The key is friendly to the guitar, and my approach was to tune the mandolin up a half step. Playing in Bb/Eb allowed using the open D and G strings. Much easier.

Btw, my cousin has an act playing...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Tom Wright Trio -- new video

I remixed the audio to clean up the sound and get closer to the mandolin voice I intended. Now posted at my YouTube channel. I am pleased at being able to present good versions of tunes I wrote for a...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Electric mandolin strings

Because my sets are 10 strings I use the bulk strings from JustStrings. From their tone I think they are GHS. Sold as dozens, and not coiled but in sleeves, a 10-string set costs me about $6.

I...
  4. Replies
    Views

Tom Wright Trio -- new video

This rolls tomorrow, Sunday 3/10, at 8pm Eastern. We revisit the tunes from my "Tailwind" album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgMCZzERmgM
  5. Re: Streaming services for acoustic/mando music

The service "Tidal", and premium services by Apple and Amazon pay the artist more than Spotify or YouTube. Artist might even earn a penny for a listen.
  6. Re: Violinists: What are the mellow/smooth violin strings? (Nmc)

Thomastik's Dominant series would be my suggestion. Their Vision series is also good, but a bit brighter. They are not all-metal, but have a substantial fiber component to emulate gut strings.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: New Ian Coury video

Ian is on staff this summer for Choro Camp New England.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Electric amps with acoustic mandos

Traditional tube amps are fine with a piezo source. I played a gig with a guitar player that cranked his Deluxe Reverb. He switched to mandolin with Fishman bridge pickup, plugged straight into the...
  9. Replies
    Views

Eight Is Not Enough

The extended range of five courses, along with the richer tone and attack of doubled strings, means I can make a full sound in just a trio setting. Here I revisit a favorite Keith Jarrett tune from...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Clefs are like subnets

I remember a Boccherini string quartet in which the cello had to read soprano clef.

11. Replies
    Views

Re: Meeting MC forum members

I have been pining for a revival of the Symposium, and even thinking who I could corral here on the East Coast to sponsor one. It was a unique collection of all genres, and with experts in every...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Why chord melody? Why not use notation?

Notating the chords, writing out specific voicings, is appropriate in classical period, and later music, to ensure the right balance of voices, e.g. which voice is on too, which bass note is used,...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: My 3 Ring Binder is a PITA

A general-purpose library app the jazz guys like is iGigBook. I use TuneLbrarian, because it was offered along with the Portland volumes of fiddle tunes and the Barnes volumes of English Country...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Chicago refret

I would also ask at Hogeye Music in Evanston. I bought a nice Weber there.
  15. Re: Is there much point to an electric jazz mandolin?

I have a Ryder EM45, but mainly use my Almuse. I converted the 45 to 10-string.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Another mic/phantom power question

I bought this little inline phantom power unit, with rechargeable battery--
    https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/P1Pwr--xvive-audio-p1-portable-phantom-power-supply
    Then you need an impedance...
  17. Re: Bach BWV 1002, Partita I. Allemanda -- help fingering chord

I would move the E down an octave, for 3-2-4-2.

Bach re-voiced his chords for other versions of his pieces, like the Prelude to the E major Partita. If you are not playing it on a violin there is...
  18. Replies
    Views

Can't Dance -- album preview

I have learned a lot from John Scofield recordings, expression, riffs, tunes, and using double stops as improvisation. A fun groove, plenty great help from the rhythm section.
  19. Re: Phantom notes played by violins (mandolins)?

A better term is "difference tone", but most accurately, two pitches yield a lower-frequency tone that is the common denominator of their two frequencies. The effect is easily heard from electric...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: iPad Bluetooth page turners

I have this one. Works well with my 9th-gen iPad.

https://store.airturn.com/collections/bluetooth-pedals/products/airturn-bt500s-2-controller
  21. Replies
    Views

For No One -- album preview

My arrangement of the fine Paul McCartney song (maybe his best lyric). Jazz trio, electric mandolin, bass, drums.

https://soundcloud.com/twtunes/for-no-one
  22. Album Preview -- "You Do It", original rhythm changes

My take on "I Got Rhythm" changes. Recorded at Tonal Park studios, Takoma Park, MD. Same trio as the "Why Not?" session, Blake Meister on bass, Leland Nakamura on drums, and my 10-string electric...
  23. Re: Don Stiernberg live tonight from Club Passim

It was a nice set, and cool to hear Donnie playing with different folks. Passim had a quality video stream and good sound. The Nugget two-point is still my fav, it is the right voice, and it mics...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: All Blues - Miles Davis

Aside from the D#9 at bar 9, in All Blues, the F/D was referring to the two tonal centers in Georgia Brown, beginning in D and resolving to F.

As to a segue from that tune to All Blues, I would...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Sobell 5 course mandolin

My 10-strings are close to your scale, at 14.25". If the neck has an adjustable truss rod you will have some freedom. Assuming tuning is CGDAE, you probably should start with .009, .014, .022, 034,...
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4