Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Thread: Big Muddy MB-11

by dwc
    Replies
    Views

Re: Big Muddy MB-11

The mandolin arrived today. I still don’t know for sure what the “B” stands for, but other than the lack of binding, it is just like every other Mid Mo/Big Muddy I have owned, simple, well made and...
  2. Thread: eastman

by dwc
    Replies
    Views

Re: eastman

I had one of the very first Eastman mandolins; it was one of the prototypes that they took to NAAM in either ‘04 or ‘05. It didn’t even have “Eastman” on the headstock (and yes, I did confirm that...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield mandolins - USA or China made?

Maybe for the best, most expensive mandolin mandolin they offer, they want their best people doing the final graduation, the sanding and the varnish work, and maybe, just maybe, they think the best...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Caterina Lichtenberg's Artistwork's Course

Honestly, if you can play along with the first violins, I don’t think you really need lessons. You are really looking to build repertoire, and there are probably better ways to do that.
  5. Re: Suggestions for Shipping/Selling on the Classifieds?

Signature confirmation is hit or miss. I have sent things with sig confirmation that were just left in an open garage, and I have had things that I was supposed to sign for just left on my porch.
  6. Re: Loar era Gibson F5 mandolins as classical instruments

I find it very interesting that sustain is so high on your list of priorities for an instrument; because, it’s something I have been thinking about a lot. If we look to other instruments,...
  7. Thread: Rubner and Kimble

by dwc
    Replies
    Views

Re: Rubner and Kimble

I am certain it does. I have played several. They were all excellent to extraordinary. I actually find the nexus between bluegrass and swing/jazz manouche absolutely fascinating. In particular, I...
  8. Thread: Eastman MD-305

by dwc
    Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD-305

If I wanted to play bluegrass and had $1k to spend, I would jump all over that Gibson A9 (NFI). I have played a couple of A9s, they were all great mandolins, not just great for the price. One of...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Any arguments AGAINST MAS?

I agree with both of these posts. I am basically a one instrument musician. I have often said, "The wand chooses the wizard." I play my Dudenbostel almost exclusively. I own a Breedlove Quartz as...
  10. Thread: Walmart mandolin

by dwc
    Replies
    Views

Re: Walmart mandolin

At least there is some truth in advertising:

"A well-built F-Model mandolin at this price range is truly unheard of."

Truly.
  11. Thread: Ellis A5?

by dwc
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis A5?

I have owned both a Northfield Big Mon and an Ellis A5. I have played two more Ellis mandolins and played two Kimble A5s and a Kimble F5. Hands down the best pure bluegrass mandolin I have ever...
  12. Re: What is the Difference between a $6,000 and $3,000 mandolin?

Many times, nothing. But I will say that when you find that really special instrument, you know it.

In March I went to Nashville for a long weekend and ended up at Carter’s. At the time, I was...
  13. Thread: A vs F style

by dwc
    Replies
    Views

Re: A vs F style

If no one on a forum ever asked a question that had been asked previously, there wouldn't be forums, just wikis.

I just want to go on record saying that aesthetics are an entirely valid reason for...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: =O Carter Vintage Guitars

Carter's can be dangerous...

I was in Nashville for a long weekend about a month ago. That Saturday my wife and I took a side trip to Carter's before grabbing lunch. I had bought my Bourgeois...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman Violins for Fiddles?

Short answer, they are fine.

Much longer answer, I would never claim to be a fiddler, but I can play a few tunes on the fiddle, the result of having tried the very same thing that you are about to...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Question.

Absolutely not true. Even the high end Kentucky mandolins are built in a factory. Northfield mandolins are made from US sourced woods in a very small shop in China. Their shop in China isn't much...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Big Mon Versitility question

Having had an Ellis A5 before I got my current Northfield "Big Mon", I have some insight into your question and your dilemma.

The Ellis was a fantastic mandolin; the build quality was impeccable. ...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin to Mandolin Question

I think the estimate of $4k for the D42 after shipping and fees is pretty close, maybe even slightly optimistic, and Breedloves just don't hold their value, but you could probably net around $5k to...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: NonCountry Bluegrass suggestions?

Part of the problem here is semantics. I think what you are looking for is acoustic string music. Bluegrass is acoustic string music, but not all acoustic string music is bluegrass. There are...
  20. Thread: Tab vs ear

by dwc
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tab vs ear

I strongly disagree with this statement. If it were true, music schools and conservatories wouldn't require two years of ear training classes. I have personally witnessed successful ear training. ...
  21. Thread: Tab vs ear

by dwc
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tab vs ear

I agree that it is not an either/or scenario, but likewise, music is not an endeavor where you get points for difficulty. A well rounded musician should not neglect ear training, but you should also...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Genius/prodigy and discipline?

It is difficult to answer objectively. I am not a psychiatrist, and I can only speak about my own experiences, which, being neuroatypical, is very difficult. Over the years, in conjunction with...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: 1930 TB2 conversion NMC

It is the classical "Ship of Theseus" paradox. How many planks in ship can you replace before it is no longer the original ship? How many pieces of a Gibson banjo can you replace before it is no...
  24. Re: Is the electric guitar dying, taking Gibson and others with i

I straddle the Millennial/Gen-xer line and I play music with people from 25 to 75. That is pretty much the earliest Boomers to the middle of the Millennials, and part of it is interest, but a lot of...
  25. Re: NMC: Best resources for Italian beginning bluegrass guitarist

For bluegrass guitar, there is an 8 book series called "Flatpicking Essentials". It is the best book CD combo series I have seen, so much so that I recommend it even to those who don't want to play...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4