2. Replies
    Views

Re: Perry Jones mandolin stand

3. Thread: N(tm)MD

by Dave Hicks
    Replies
    Views

N(tm)MD

New (to me) mandolin day. My Christmas present to myself. I bought a Big Muddy M1X with pickup and case from Sal at the Acoustic Guitar Forum. (Thanks to him for doing a great packing job.)

I...
  4. Replies
    Views

A new F-5

Not quite a traditional F-5 but in the sprit of. European spruce and maple, ebony fretboard, Gotoh tuners and an Allen tailpiece. A K&K twin pickup installed with the socket mounted on an extra...
  5. Replies
    Views

O Come, O Come Emmanuel

Continuing my mandolin exploration of traditional Christmas music, here is my latest arrangement: O Come, O Come Emmanuel for solo octave mandolin. This is probably one of my absolute favorite...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Double Stop Lessons

Alright, second video in this double stop series is up and running. We take the G major double stop shapes we learned in the first lesson and apply them to C and D.

GickuZACBPw
  7. Replies
    Views

Double Stop Lessons

Hello folks. It's been a while since I posted on Mandolin Cafe but I thought some of you would enjoy some of the free resources that I am sharing over on YouTube and my Patreon.

First video in my...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: I would like to buy a EMBERGHER

I highly recommend that you don't just jump into this without adequate information. When I first was interested in Emberghers there was the book "The Embergher Mandolin" by Ralf Leenen and Barry...
  9. Replies
    Views

TSA mandolin incident

Was flying today and had one of my mandos with me, an f-style, in a soft case.

After it went through the X-ray machine, the TSA agent operating the X-ray said "Sir, what kind of guitar is this?"
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Late Night Trashy Mandolin Music

It's the anniversary of the report of Late Night Trashy Mandolin Music played yards from Cafe headquarters on this date 1890. Long live Late Night Trashy Mandolin Music.
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Calhoun case?

Hi everyone! We have done a lot of searching and the very best case we have found for this instrument is one made by SKB. From time to time we have them but mostly we send people to Sweetwater. our...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Upper body exercise and finger speed

Finally a question on Mandolin Café that I can actually help with. When you lift weights you are actually training both your muscles and your nervous system. Lifting weights requires muscle fiber...
  13. Thread: Hearing aids

by RobP
    Replies
    Views

Re: Hearing aids

I got hearing aids this week. I'm 60, and I have had a high-frequency loss in my left hear for about 15 years. it finally got to the point that I admitted I needed help - it was a very hard pill for...
  14. Replies
    Views

my homemade mandolin

I just finished making another mandolin. I used Graham McDonald’s book as a guide.
    This is the second one I have made using his book.
  15. Re: Four mandolins stolen today from The Mandolin Store

I just wanted to give everyone a quick update and thank everyone in this community, especially Scott, for sharing this far and wide. The police have a suspect and he also left full size footprints in...
  16. Thread: Parrot Party

by Dawg
    Replies
    Views

Parrot Party

Today I'm hosting a birthday party at Dawg studios to celebrate and document the "birth" of a very special mandolin, the "Parrot," whose label was signed by Mr. Lloyd Loar, 100 years ago! Also in...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Spruce-different species

Yes, Norway spruce is common english name for picea abies which grows in all mountains or colder clomates of central and east europe. It's pretty much the only commercially available spruce local in...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Calhoun Just Ordered

My little Calhoun Wide Nut came in Saturday and I got what I was after a nice even mellow tone across strings, not bright and bitting. Good to see one here likes there's. I started with an Eastman...
  19. Replies
    Views

Thomann review: From Germany to US

I recently purchased a tenor guitar from Thomann. Just thought I would share my experience, as there's not much on the forum about purchasing from Thomann from the US.

I made my purchase from...
  20. Re: Entry level tenor: Recording King or Ibanez?

I've not tried either of those but IIRC both are laminate builds. Of those two I'd try the Recording King first.

My preference would be the Harley Benton CLT-20S

21. Replies
    Views

Wood Anatomy

I had intended this comment for the “tone rite” thread, but it closed before I had completed the post. Even so, I would still like to share my comments on wood anatomy for those interested....
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: 105 year old neck joints

Since it is summertime, I'm sure I'll need to get out the torture rack to finesse it all back together...delicate, delicate, delicate pressure- no gorilla clamping like a big old double bass!
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Standard Chord Shape Series

I think it's because the posts are pending still.

Try this - https://mattcbruno.com/post-preview/

Sorry ;)
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: gaining speed advice

This video by fiddle player Kevin Burke has helpful tips on building speed - while he plays irish trad music the advice would be applicable to any genre of music that you wish to build speed in. The...
  25. Interview with kids Jolliff, Hull, Pinkham, Gates, and Jarosz

I just found this incredible interview from 2004 with Sierra Hull, Jacob Jolliff, Scott Gates, Josh Pinkham, and Sarah Jarosz on Mandozine. They’re all 11-15 years old and have the coolest...
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4