Search:

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Harmony Mandolins -- opinions?

I love my c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 A-Style mandolin.
  2. Thread: Under $300

by Ed Goist
    Replies
    Views

Re: Under $300

I'm going to cast a vote for a 1960s era Harmony Monterey H410 A-Style mandolin. These have all solid wood construction (Birch soundboard, sides, & back) with mahogany necks. They turn up for sale on...
  3. Replies
    Views

Bobby Osborne Profile on NPR

Nice profile of the legendary Bobby Osborne on this morning's Morning Edition on NPR. Enjoy!

At 86, Bobby Osborne Doesn't Intend To Quit Singing Anytime Soon
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Loprinzi mandolin?

Hi Tim. I have never seen a LoPrinzi mandolin in person, but I am sure I remember seeing an old thread or two here on the Cafe about them.

I have no idea what that '68 A-style would be worth, but...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Which strings do ya prefer?

GHS A260 phosphor bronze Bobby Osborne Signature strings (med light 11-38). Great tone, volume, feel, consistency, string life, and they provide equal string tension across the courses.
  6. Collings Tenor Guitar Sighting: Carrie Rodriguez

Carrie Rodriguez: NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert - Collings tenor guitar sighting.

tWWxWpfkzR0
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Afraid to play for others - advice?

Indeed! I was just having a conversation the other day with some other musicians about what makes someone a "great" guitar player, and we were talking about how, for the public at large, technical...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: OT: Guitar Repair In No. Ohio

Oh, I just noticed that your guitar has a custom neck. If the fretboard is bound, that will drive the price up some I think...maybe by +/- $50?
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Afraid to play for others - advice?

This may sound oversimplified, but I think there's a lot to it...

You say that "public speaking is fine". This is because, at some point in your past, public speaking became one of "your things"....
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: OT: Guitar Repair In No. Ohio

Hi Frank:

Yes, I have used Ken multiple times, and his work is exceptional. He does the work out of his home, and arranges for pick-up at various locations (which are listed on the site, I think)....
  11. Re: Cart before the horse but....amplification question

How does your partner amplify his D-28 (sounds like a good undersaddle pickup to me [Fishman Matrix?] on your recording of Harvest Moon [very nice, BTW!]), and will you be plugging into an amp or...
  12. Re: Cart before the horse but....amplification question

In addition to decent external soundboard transducers like the Schatten, other good choices include:

The L.R. Baggs Radius
    The Fishman M-300
    The K&K Mandolin Twin

Whichever pickup you...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: tenor guitars strung as octave mandolin

Hi Dan. I've done this very successfully with four different tenor guitars (an old Gretsch Model 240 archtop, a Blueridge BR-40T [0-sized], a Harmony H1201TG [0-sized], and an Eastwood Warren Ellis...
  14. Pittsburgh Mandolin Orchestra: Mother's Day Concert 10 May 2015

From The Pittsburgh Mandolin Orchestra:

Moms come in all shapes and sizes, and their musical tastes are just as varied as they are. This Mother’s Day, the Pittsburgh Mandolin Orchestra...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite Stage Banter

Steve Earle just before playing his bouzouki for the first time during a gig:

"This here's a Bouzouki, unless you're in an airport, then it's an octave mandolin"
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: GHS' Americana Series?

Here's the GHS webpage on the Americana mandolin strings.

And here's GHS's promotional video for the Americana series (with audio of the Americana acoustic guitar strings):

trpLgZyMw9o
  17. Re: Report Substantiates North Korea Musical Instrument Concerns

I hope the UN gets involved in this.
    I'm pretty sure banjos fall under the international WMD prohibition.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Roll Call: Budget Mandolins

You know, I'm not sure, even after looking at it closely just now.
    The tonewood is solid Birch - top, sides, and back. Since the neck is a different wood (Mahogany), but it also has the same...
  19. Re: Study: Old, million-dollar violins don’t play better than the

Yes, without question. There is a price point for all instrument types above which qualitative differentiation in performance becomes non-existent.

I would argue that all pricing above that point...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: One tip that changed everything

"Don't be so hard on yourself, and never minimize the compliments others pay to your playing." (Thank you Jim Richter)
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is it I prefer my beater to my better?

Sure, no problem. See below.

In fairness, I think a big part of why I love mine so much is because of the bridge. The previous owner was a luthier and he built a killer maple non-adjustable bridge...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is it I prefer my beater to my better?

I picked-up the c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin below to "hold me over" between "premium instruments". It has not only held me over, it has totally destroyed my MAS. End of search. Frankly, I...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Listing of Tenor Guitar Builders

Updated 14 February 2015 (added Pono Guitars)
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: GHS Bobby Osborne Signature Strings

IMO the GHS A-260s will give you exactly what you're looking for. Definitely less tension than J74s, and more volume that the average lights. However, I would say that volume with the A-260s is...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: I hope I did not overpay

Easy question. If someone offered you $700 cash money for the mandolin right now would you sell it? If not, then you did not pay too much. If so, then you did.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4