Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Gig Bag Recommendation Please

Best gig bags that I know of: Glenn Cronkhite Custom Cases in Minnesota, and Blue Heron Softshell Cases in California. Both are made in USA, guaranteed forever, and repaired for free (I think) if...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I Resist Waverly Tuners?

A Footnote: I'm old, and I can't say "Waverly" without being transported to New York City, 1967, Sixth Avenue & West Third Street, and this song: "I met a boy called Frank Mills on September twelfth...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: New Player at age 63

Hi Mike. I'm 73 and have been playing guitar for 50-some years, and mandolin for about 10. Here's my advice, and of course, others may feel differently:
    1. If at all possible, go to a shop or shops...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Carbon Fiber Mandolin Raffle

Why not just spend the time practicing?
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Artistworks question

I'll second (or third) the recommendation of Mike Marshall's ArtistWorks lessons. Above all, he's an excellent TEACHER--and not everyone is. I've been a student of his for about a year and have...
  6. Re: Open-back banjo recommendation for a mandolin player?

I would second the recommendation of Steve Gerritsen and his Stone Banjo Company (good website). I bought a new banjo from Steve as a birthday present for my wife. It cost about $800 delivered, and...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Favorite A style mandolin?

If you like the Gibson A's...you can get a Montana-built Flatiron A-style from the 80's or early 90's. Gibson couldn't compete with Flatiron, so they bought the company in 1987 or so, and ultimately...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: old Flatiron, old guy, some thoughts

Thanks to you all for chiming in. It's great to hear from so many folks who care about the early Flatirons. Stay safe, and happy picking.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: old Flatiron, old guy, some thoughts

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far. I really appreciate your shared thoughts. These most recent bits of advice make sense to me: clean it up, play it for a while, and then see if you still...