Search:

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Which kind of Mandolin you play ?

My #1 is a Nugget A-5, which is all I should ever need. However, because of mandolin polyamory, I have a great Ellis twin point, a '23 Snakehead A, and a 1917 Lyon & Healy A. All have different...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: My Journey so far.

Tom:

There have been quite a few posts, and I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned getting a good set up. Often factory-built instruments have issues with high nut slots, the intonation can be...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: A Style “Holy Grail?

I'm lucky enough to be the temporary (during my lifetime) custodian of a mid-90's Nugget A5 - It is my holy grail ff-hole and a '23 snakehead plain-jade A that serves as the oval-hole equivalent.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Self-taught vs. …not!

I've learned a variety of ways: Violin with a classical violin teacher; I think my parents paid her to supervise my practice once a week at times. Jamming a finger playing JV football was the...
  5. Re: Why do some higher end mandos return to the market so quickly

I have played the "catch and release" with a few higher end mandolins and the most frequent cause for release has been the neck - too skinny, too wide, too deep, not deep enough, too V'd, not V'd...
  6. Re: Song breakdown / Sheet music: There's More Pretty Girls Than

Always love Doc's versions and the Rice & Skaggs version. Lotta joy in that simple song!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: seeking modern bluegrass suggestions

Brian Oberlin has the mandolin chores for Full Cord - a powerhouse of a bluegrass band from Michigan. They won the IBMA Momentum Award last year.

https://fullcord.bandzoogle.com/home
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Should I bother?..

When I was 68, I placed an order for an Ellis twin point mandolin. In discussing the potential build with Tom Ellis, I expressed some reluctance about getting it made with. an Adirondack top,...
  9. Re: Chord melody chat: Aaron Weinstein & David Benedict

After watching the video a few times, I worry that the interview wasn't with Aaron Weinstein at all. There was no bow tie, or even a mention of it in the video ;). Great video interview, and I'll...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Woke with a chord question

Since we are talking about a C6/Amin chord fingering that can function as different rootless chords, play the following sequence: 3-3-5-x --> 3-2-3-X --> 2-2-3-x.. Here is an entirely different...
  11. Re: Why are old Gibson snakeheads worth so much more?

Lloyd Loar pixie dust! He must have walked by the mandolin during its construction.

Seriously, I prefer the narrower neck. If you can get one with good intonation, they can cover a wide variety...
  12. Replies
    Views

"Going back to the OPs original question, the name is typically a function of the context. For example, 223x appears to some folks as A minor, to others as CM6 and to others as F#m7b5, depending on...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Parrot Party

This Cracker wants that Polly! Play on, Dawg!
  14. Replies
    Views

Rootless chords are kinda like those knives in your kitchen. Are they for slicing a tomato, or murdering your spouse? Yes, it just depends on the preceding setting, the direction one is traveling,...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Bourgeois M5A Mandolin

I played 2 at IBMA and given the crowded exhibition hall, about all that I could tell was that they were set up well, had good wood and finish. Played one at Elderly and thought it sounded better...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Pentatonic Scales Primer

In my playing, I often hit a lot of "accidentals".
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Guide Fingers - Mandolin Techniques

Matt-

I think this lesson should be very informative for the mandolin player who is starting the journey of learning movable chords. In fact, it is something I still do when encountering a...
  18. Re: A Few More Enharmonic Movable Chord Shapes

Mark: That shape is very useful in yet another context: Emaj7-9. I often use the bottom 3 strings of this shape in a variety of ways. Move it up to 4-4-5-X and you have B Minor (Root - 5th -...
  19. Re: The weight balance between the head and body

I can't find it on a quick search, but somebody posted a fair bit ago about using some kind of weighted bag attached to the butt end of the mandolin that was designed to adjust for the weight of the...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Reasons to avoid practicing

Digging 2 ft deep postholes in Carolina clay by hand over a weekend and setting the posts in concrete. It took 3 days before I could uncurl my fingers. And yeah, 85 lb bags of concrete are a lot...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Song Breakdown: Swing 42

Matt: This tune is one of the gateway drugs for gypsy Djazz! Nice breakdown & glad that you use Emin7b5 in the 5th measure of the A parts. Many charts have vanilla Emin7 or C9, which tripped me up...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Tunes in "F"

I was going to suggest opening any Real Book for C instruments - tons of tunes in F! It is kinda fun to open a Real Book at random and sight read tunes.
  23. Re: Holding on to your personal Holy Grail mandolin

A pre-owned Nugget A-5 Deluxe fell into my lap 2 months after my wife died. A very emotional acquisition, because she had OK'd a Nugget purchase and I was on the prowl for months before she became...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Chord Melody - rubato

I've learned a lot from The Don (Stiernberg), and his chord-melody course on Soundslice is well worth the price of admission:

https://www.soundslice.com/users/DonStiernberg/courses/
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Ready For The Times To Get Better

Plenty of guitar transcriptions on-line. Usually played out of an A minor position, capo'd on guitar to suite the vocalist's vocal range. Here's one example in A minor:
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4