Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Gaspar Sanz Goes Electric

I really love the Sparrow. Great sound, great feel, and definitely a great deal. The pickup can split, and the single coil sound is surprisingly good; I find many split-coils lacking but not this...
  2. Replies
    Views

Blues in the Bottle

First recorded in 1928 by Prince Albert Hunt (https://www.lizlyle.lofgrens.org/RmOlSngs/RTOS-BluesInABottle.html), and covered a number of times since. I straightened it out a bit in several ways.
  3. Replies
    Views

Recuerdos de la Alhambra - Tárrega

This is my version of the beautiful piece by Tárrega. The guitar is thanks to guitar pro...
  4. Replies
    Views

Jim Richter Mandolin Blues Lick of the Day

Hello all. I'm launching a new series of quick videos each day of blues mandolin licks. The videos will be on YouTube with explanation to figure them out; tablature will be through my Patreon site....
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: This weeks mandolin that won't get a bid or buyer

Putty or Mastic?

The bridge is floating on a ton of beeswax!
    Just need a knife and fork. This instrument is either the genuine article or it’s the makings of a delicious gourmet meal.
  6. Re: I can’t find The Blues in my Mandolin

https://youtu.be/u8wc3sSE4Cs
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Blues on the Mandolin - Let's Hear Ya!

So happy about all of this chatter. Thanks again to Marc for providing so much great material. You're a true stylist, Marc!

Here's "Done Somebody Wrong," an Elmore James song. I recently listened...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Blues on the Mandolin - Let's Hear Ya!

Kevin, where I’m living now, internet is spotty, plus I’m lazy … I’ve been immersed in the blues recently and hopefully will find time to post new stuff; in the meantime here are a few I put up in...
  9. Re: The "legitimate classical instrument" thing..

I am curious about exactly who says that and what they mean. Also eager to see what kinds of replies you get to this, as I will be talking about it in my presentation at the Classical Mandolin...
  10. Replies
    Views

Chris Thile - 10 representative tracks.

An impossible task that only an idiot would attempt.

Here’s my take. Hope you enjoy.

https://www.toppermost.co.uk/chris-thile/
  11. Replies
    Views

Battery generator to run an amp

My cello-playing wife and I play weddings, usually using a Bose L1 compact or a 30W UltraSound if only the classical guitar needs a boost. Sometimes, power is hard to come by in outdoor locations....
  12. Replies
    Views

My new and first electric mandolin!

Boy oh boy! I unexpectedly got an Eastwood Mandostang for Christmas and I'm having a blast! For some reason, I jumped right into playing jazz standards (I used to study jazz guitar back in the day)...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Setting up a new Asian-made four string

I would also check to see if the pickup/control cavities are shielded (copper foil) and grounded otherwise in agreement with Andrew's suggestions above.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Homemade Casein Picks

Human hair can be pretty rough and irritating in small pieces but I like the concept.
  15. Replies
    Views

Definitely replace the strings. If its buzzing around the 10th fret then lowering the nut is going to make it worse. The nut and bridge work like a seesaw if the board isn't flat. You'll need to...
  16. Replies
    Views

Just be sure, after lowering at bridge and/or nut, that the strings don't get too close to the pickups, or even touch them, when fretting up the neck. The pickups' magnetism can have an effect on...
  17. Replies
    Views

The basic principles apply. Go to emando.com for string sets and info.

I would ensure the nut is low enough -- with such a short distance to the next fret the deflection angle is steep, risking...
  18. Replies
    Views

Flight of the bumblebee

I'm still working on improving speed and dexterity... So on new years, I thought I'd start learning flight of the bumblebee... Its a great time for speed and dexterity. Anyways, the link is below.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: “Free” vrs “metered” tremelo

I came across the above quotation recently in a 100-odd-year-old Crescendo magazine. It illustrates a way of thinking about tremolo: that it may be played at different speeds, but it is not a...
  20. Sir Duke, with Halloween content and a little bit of mandolin

https://youtu.be/soT4_FZqtiw
  21. Carnatic Mandolin- World Classical- The Sunshine Orchestra

Hi All,
    I have been a very inactive member on this wonderful forum. I mean to fix that ;)
    I would like to share the most epic production I have done till date. Certainly, many similar concepts have...
  22. One mand quartet! Soluet #6 Flying - Stephen Lalor

I heard Stephen perform this with his trio "Volatinsky" a few weeks ago and fell in love with the piece. I bought the arrangement for string quartet but I don't have a mandocello so I ended up...
  23. Thread: Scales.

by wormpicker
    Replies
    Views

Re: Scales.

I should add that I’ve found practicing scales and arpeggios is even more valuable for my mando playing than for my fiddling because the mando stays tuned in standard G tuning, but I play a lot of...
  24. Replies
    Views

DataNick's Band at Temecula BG Fest

My wife and I had a great time meeting Nick and his fellow musicians at the Temecula Valley Bluegrass Festival today. BK Nicholson and Desperado played some serious bluegrass! Nick can sing and he...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Bach, where to start?

The Bourree BWV 1009 isn't too hard.
    You'll probably find the sheet music for violin for free somewhere on the web and a nice arrangement for mandolin by Alison Stephens at Astute music.
    It's in...
Page 1 of 2 1 2