Search:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Elderly Instruments recognized by U.S. Chamber of Commerc

Congrats to everyone at Elderly Instruments on this recognition just announced:

Elderly Instruments Aims to Be a ‘Conservator of Musical Heritage’

Elderly Instruments, the Great Lakes regional...
  2. Replies
    Views

Cold Frosty Morn (with the family band)

My daughters and I performed for an evening social gathering at the Fort Bridger Mountain Man Rendezvous. Here is one of the tunes we performed that night, featuring Liesl (16) on fiddle and...
  3. Replies
    Views

The Kitchen Girl: solo octave mandolin

An internet acquaintance recently requested that I record this tune. It was one that I'd never heard before. I usually prefer to learn tunes by ear as I believe the aural learning process helps with...
  4. Replies
    Views

1898 Gibson Mandolin

This was posted from the Chapman shop in the Vintage Instruments section of the forum. Since many members may not visit that section, I really think it deserves to be posted here as well. The video...
  5. Recording King A-style mandolin on the cheap.

OK folks, after lurking here for a while I just purchased a very inexpensive blemished "store return" Recording King A-shape mandolin from an Ebay seller. It only had a couple of tiny marks near one...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: whither 1 3/32" nut widths?

I rather like narrower necks, as they make 4-finger chords a bit easier to play.
  7. Replies
    Views

Road Trip IV - Music Emporium

So I swung by The Music Emporium in Lexington, MA. According to their web site they had a new Eastman 815/v in stock, and I wanted to give it a try.

They had about 10 or so mandolins on the wall,...
  8. Re: OT or BG Jams around Charlotte NC and Charleston SC

Hi Pappy - do you know about the Charlotte Folk Society? They list several jams of both styles. I'm just getting involved myself, as a clawhammer banjoist and have been to a few. There's an old-time...
  9. Gibson contribution to the war effort in WWII

Someone had asked a question in another thread about Gibson manufacturing during WW!. I went looking but didn't find anything that I could point to to contribute but I did bump into some WWII...
  10. Replies
    Views

NMD - Another Strad-O-Lin

There was discussion in a different thread on some Orpheum stenciled Strad-O-Lins on eBay. While looking at them, also spotted this one. Got extremely lucky and won the bidding. It arrived last...
  11. interesting short talk with L Dudenbostel from a News station

based on the oldest comment, this appears to be at least 5 years old, may be more-i don't know.

some interesting content, would love to hear a good interview of about an hour or more with Lynn,...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin D-18 Bridge plate issue

Here's the latest in the saga. As mentioned previously, I glued the un-repaired cracks beneath the bridge and cut out as much damaged wood as necessary before inlaying in new spruce to create a...
  13. Re: Stephen Foster on Mandolin & Tabs at a Jam?

I quite enjoy singing. I know I'm not much good, but I go on the basis that EVERYBODY can sing. This song is Hard Times Come Again No More, by Stephen Foster. I heard Hannah Rarity sing it...
  14. this is so cool-Marty stuart and Carter Webb

watch it to the end.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwY5RDZ7zp8&t=33s

https://youtu.be/hwY5RDZ7zp8

and for more MS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqQ_2DW9Hc4
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Martin D-18 Bridge plate issue

Thanks very much for all the comments and advice! Very much appreciated. Here's where I am at now:

As discussed, I'm working through the sound hole (there are several cracks around the sound...
  16. Replies
    Views

Fun jamming with a new "stranger"

Well, he's no longer a stranger. It was a lot of fun to meet John Adams from Seattle. He made it to our Sunday jam twice and added some real quality to our group. He's a really nice guy. It was...
  17. Re: Molly Tuttle & Golden Highway w/ Jerry Douglas live at Delfes

From a PBS News Hour broadcast two days ago, Molly discusses her alopecia and music...

WP5vYHoghwY
  18. Replies
    Views

Dixie Hoedown on a Mountain

The Hamlett sure held up well on top of Tussey Mountain in central Pennsylvania’s Rothrock State Forest! Dixie Hoedown seemed like the right tune. Got a big bite on my foot towards the end….
  19. Re: What to look for when buying a vintage mandolin

Kind of following.

It does look like it's been "gussied up" a bit, which is fine if that hasn't involved an undisclosed overspray, or something like that. Since the tuners were replaced and the...
  20. Re: What to look for when buying a vintage mandolin

I am sorry I was too quick to judgement with my remark. The top and back look pretty good, what was concerning me was the peghead and the side shots. If it sounds and plays good and you get a fair...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: What to look for when buying a vintage mandolin

Things to check:

1. Make sure there are no irregular dips in the top.
    2. Check the brace behind the sound hole to make sure it is not loose. If it is, it is a fairly easy fix for a competent...
  22. Replies
    Views

Gibson and Hamlett Harmony!

Heyyyyy…

What a day! Check out this Gibson F5 custom from The Mandolin Store and Hamlett two-point fiesta!

https://youtu.be/AkVkYIhfW4c

Big shout out to Aly and Matt Maris. Aly is rockin’...
  23. Replies
    Views

A major update to the Builder Database

Over the past three weeks we've worked through a major overhaul of the Builder Database that was launched on this site July 29, 1996. An eye opening experience worth sharing what we learned.

Mea...
  24. Replies
    Views

Amazing performance by autistic kid

I came across this article in a local news station and it has an amazing video of a high school kid playing his guitar in the school's talent show. I found this amazing and wanted to share. Scroll...
  25. Doyle Lawson – tell us about your mandolin

https://bluegrasstoday.com/the-school-of-bluegrass-with-doyle-lawson-tell-us-about-your-mandolin/
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3