Search:

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Living in Kazakhstan, ready for online course

Marla Fibish teaches Irish, mainly by ear. Don't know if her times would work for you. http://www.marlafibish.com/contactteaching.asp

If you're interested in going back to classical, Caterina...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: post a video of yourself

Absolutely charming!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Love for Ovals

2birds, take a look at this if vintage interests you.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Bobelock Arrow Mandolin Case

I have the black/wine and probably bought it about two years ago. No dye transfer.

I wonder if the person who had the problem with it had either gotten the lining wet, or lived in an extremely...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Fossilized Walrus Ivory Bridge Effect

Now there's a phrase I've never heard! Marilyn Monroe reference?
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Ellis-Pava A modlels no longer being made?

From today's classifieds: https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/206576#206576

"As Pava Knesevic is set to hang up the spurs within the next year, her astounding mandolins seem a safe bet to only ascend...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for Repertoire by Women Composers

I'm surprised than no one has yet mentioned Alison Stephens. (British, 1970–2010). Although she mainly wrote solo and small ensemble pieces, she also wrote for mandolin ensemble. Her work is...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman MD404 or Kentucky KM-272?

Here is a review of the Kentucky. I had one at one point and liked it a lot. My kid has it now.
  9. Re: Sheet music with the letters inside the dots (for learning)

Essential Elements, a beginning band/orchestra method, has what you're looking for. The violin version would fit mandolin just fine.
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a pic of your cat sleeping in your case

He/she was 17? A good long life for a cat, but it's hard to part with someone you've known that long. Sorry.
  11. Re: Making an Open Source / Free Cello Suite for Mandolin Book

Mandolin Deep Cuts, the examples you have furnished are tab. Once you get to the notes, ledger lines will force the staves further apart.
  12. Re: Making an Open Source / Free Cello Suite for Mandolin Book

The compact version, with one movement per page, might prove difficult. The edition I have of the six suites (transcribed for viola by Watson Forbes) has the preludes for Suites 1-4 across two pages....
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Lyon and Healy mandocellos

Joe, I am absolutely green with envy. You have hit the trifecta! Do you have alto clef and bass clef friends to play with, or are you proficient in all? The House of Three Lions will be blessed with...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Paper Lining for Bowl Back Mandolin

As the lignin in wood gives off acids, using acid-free paper to line a bowl is pointless—it will deteriorate regardless.

As DavidKOS says, the paper is definitely functional. Having worked as a...
  15. Replies
    Views

Martin at Carter's

Carter's strikes again with a beautiful bowl back, highly reasonably priced. If I hadn't just bought a bowl back I would be sorely tempted. Can someone remove this temptation?

16. Replies
    Views

Lyon & Healy at Carter's

This showed up in the classifieds today. Instead of a 1930 Style B, it looks to me like a pre-1920 Style A. If anyone is wanting an L&H, the price is amazing, and it looks to be in good condition....
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Lyon & Healy Style A mandola: case needed

Wow, Joe—that's a beauty! Lucky you.
  18. Re: What’s the nicest mandolin you’ve ever seen?

Yeah, Tom's hummingbirds are really sweet.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: First Mandolin Build

You Australians have some very cool-looking wood.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: When to upgrade from beginner mandolin?

Looking at mandolins is like looking at puppies. Don't go unless you're sure you want one.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Checking in--I didn't disappear

I had wondered where you had been! Best of luck with the shoulder replacement.
  22. Re: Protecting the head stock while changing strings

I came up with a low-tech solution to this one. I took cardboard from a cereal box and cut it to shape: a little bigger than the headstock, with cutouts for the tuning posts, one for each side. It...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowlbacks of Note

The strings that came on it are Thomastick-Infeld weich, .009–.30, so I think they are safe.

I'll try to take more pictures in a day or two. I played it in orchestra tonight, and it held its own...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowlbacks of Note

Although this thread seems to be mainly for Italian bowlbacks, here's an American-made one.

1903 Stewart and Bauer, Brazilian rosewood bowl with 42 staves. Although there is some play wear on the...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Rest in peace - Bob Page has passed

While I never ordered rom him, I often marveled at the mandolins he offered. Condolences to his family.
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4