Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Stradolin Dating Question

I think we are all Strad-O-Linians on this bus!
  2. Replies
    Views

Totally agree. It seems like the single traverse bar makes them sound a bit more like an oval hole mandolin than many f hole mandolins. Anyway, I did one more search and found a veeeery faint date...
  3. Replies
    Views

It's 9 5/8" across. Does this one have what you are calling "comma shaped holes"? Does that just mean that the round holds are separated from the long curvy part of the hole?
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Banjolin or Tenor Banjo?

Strong vote against mandolin banjo (great for some kinds of music but not Irish), strong vote for National RM1 with light strings (10-38 or so).
  5. Replies
    Views

Yes, but now I can dream that it saw battle in WWII and bullet broke off the lamination! I'll leave it as is for history sake. Some new owner can put an armrest on it if they choose. I am surprised...
  6. Irish mandolin and tenor banjo workshop in Houston Texas

Ireland's amazing Theresa O'Grady is one of the teachers at the Gulf Coast Cruinniu, in Houston, Tx, the first weekend in June. Check it out! https://gulfcoastirish.org/
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Mandolin Recordings

Huge recommendation for Sean Keegan's album https://seankeegan.bandcamp.com/album/a-bird-never-flew-on-one-wing
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Thomastik-Infeld Strings

Seeing this thread a little late. I use a National RM1 with mittel gauge Thomastik strings in a fairly large Irish session on a regular basis. Sitting at home, it is a bit brash but in a large...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Case for small Martin tenor guitar?

There is a specific case Martin had made for these that occasionally come up used. Elderly apparently has had them on back order for about a year. ...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Yet another blonde F4...but

Also not a Fender: 199944
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: conundrum: 3 calton splatter color combos

With a nice Stella blue interior?
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: conundrum: 3 calton splatter color combos

So, in order, I would name them "crime scene", "Christmas", "veins and arteries", and "Christmas tree". I like "crime scene" best.
  13. Re: I have an open mike on Saturday and I'm scared to death

Two suggestions. I know you said you are playing Irish Washerwoman. Be sure you can play it while watching and understanding the nightly news. That is when (to me, anyway) I know I know a tune well...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Safe(-ish) stand/s for fiddle + mandolin?

I use the Cooperstand stands - a guitar sized one will fit my tenor banjo and mandolins and the mini will fit mandolins and I presume fiddles. Yes, stands are not for everyone but I play seated in a...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Cost of sending a mandolin from US to EU?

Try Parcelmonkey.com . I have gotten good deals on shipping a mandolin from the UK to the US recently through them and they make any paperwork easy.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: CHOP MELODY STYLE - Jingle Bells

Love it! Thanks!!!!!!
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Can I get-rid of the end-pin on Godin A8?

Like Jacob said, leave the end pin alone. I would glue a little strip of leather on the inside of the gig bag to protect it. High quality gig bags are usually done this way.
  18. Re: How to clean and polish Varnish on my New Pava Pro

Paleontology, micropaleontology to be more accurate (I did that as a career for many years)
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Calton Cases - in pictures

Here is my wonderful Ellis A5 in the Calton, complete with one sticker so far and the Ellis badge. This is a true A5 case, by the way, without any cutouts for points. Not shown is the Cooperstand...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Modern case options for teens Gibson A models

I would just call up a place like Elderly or The Mandolin Store and ask them. They have surely dealt with old F4s before.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Modern case options for teens Gibson A models

Tkl 8851
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Key/Mode for Irish Sessions

I would say that 95% of the tunes are played universally in one implicitly agreed upon key. The other 5% are played in more than one key, depending on location. My guess is that these happen when a...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick orientation to strings

I personally would recommend trying to limit forearm rotation and play with all or almost all wrist movement. The arm is too much mass to move quickly. Early on it feels right but later it may bite...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: What artist/album got you started with Trad

I was playing bluegrass and a friend recommended this group that just had their first album come out that he thought I might like, because it was also acoustic. We figured it was pronounced "planks...
  25. Re: adjustable bridge with different side height

I agree the G side would likely be best higher but in most string sets the G strings are under slightly more tension than the E strings.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4