Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Just Bought a Grace Designs Alix...Give me Advice!

Just wanted to say I've now played a few gigs with it and done very little with it other than adjust the EQ a bit to my preference and it still sounds terrific. I'll keep the Red Eye as a back-up,...
  2. Replies
    Views

Reverb Pedals?

For those who've gone down the rabbit hole of DI'd mandos and pedals...reverbs seem like the most common effects pedal. Just curious to see what other folks use, why they use them, and how they use...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Tonedevil FM product feedback requests

Ugly headstock and the scroll looks clunky. F5 mandolins already are headstock heavy and that thing looks even larger, and likely heavier, than a normal F5 headstock.. That being said, I'm a...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Studying Sam Bush

I'd forgotten about those! Between ArtistWorks, Peghead Nation, and some of the really good Patreon and YouTube instructional content out there, the old Homespun stuff seems to have gotten...
  5. Replies
    Views

Studying Sam Bush

I've been thinking that I'd love to spend some time studying Sam's playing more in 2024. Aside from just listening and trying to work out some of the things he does, are there any good resources out...
  6. Re: Heiden's....the most expensive modern mandolin builder?

As always, it depends on your own finances and how much a dollar is worth to you. Those prices are over half my yearly salary, before taxes. No instrument is worth that kind of money to someone in my...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Thinking Of Altering Mando

I don't think it would impact the value one bit. Maybe the speed neck would, but as long as the Florida is scooped so that it looks good then I can't see that being an issue. Lots of mandos are built...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: New Album/Single by Sarah Jarosz

It's kind've hard to overstate the impact Phoebe Bridgers has had on rock music in the last 3-4 years. She had a dedicated, but still somewhat underground, fanbase going into her second album,...
  9. Thread: Monel strings

by Alex Orr
    Replies
    Views

Re: Monel strings

I hate them. Shrill and metallic is exactly how I'd characterize them, and I don't think they improve, at least not in a week or so I used them. That said, every mando is different and responds in...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: New Album/Single by Sarah Jarosz

I dig it, but I listen to as much rock music as I do bluegrass. Sounds like it would fit in nicely on a Phoebe Bridgers albums, or any of the Bridgers-adjacent albums, and for me at least, that's not...
  11. Thread: Edwina Issues

by Alex Orr
    Replies
    Views

Re: Edwina Issues

I talked to Ear Trumpet today. I'd envisioned having a bit more room to play off the mic, but they informed me that one foot is really where I should be. I think we were cranking the gain a bit too...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Vernon Bryant Mandolin?

I can answer a little about this. I met Vern once, maybe 15 years ago? I had been playing for a year or two and wanted the Florida on my Kentucky chopped off. I'd taken a few lessons from Orrin Star...
  13. Re: How long does it take to get over fumble fingers?

Check out Mike Marshall's Fundamentals DVDs. He gets into some serious minutiae on really basic things like how to hold a mandolin, hold a pick, and fret strings. Really goos foundational stuff that...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Okay, I honestly need to know...

In all fairness, sometimes questions are simply best answered by looking at professional instructional materials. You can only write about how to play mandolin so much, but showing it, via a video...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Electric mandolin.

I don't get it - those just seem to be cheap acoustic mandos with pick-ups. If you want an electric mandolin I'd suggest going to emando.com and seeing what he's got listed. Also, there is a section...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Artistworks question

I can't speak to Mike's mando lessons on ArtistWorks, but I've been less than impressed with Michael Daves' bluegrass vocal course and Nathan East's bass course. Nathan's course is embarassingly...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: 3-Part Chris Thile Master Class online

My beer fridge freezer always has large ice cubes, though I'm actually partial to ice spheres made in Tovolo molds. Why not...it's fancy and I'm making them for my own pleasure :) I've gone down...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: 3-Part Chris Thile Master Class online

Tempted, but... Thile is obviously a genius musician, but from the interviews I've seen and read, he frequently seems to sail off into rather "out there" explanations for things. I don't hold that...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: I don't like F styles. Anyone else?

Mugger (holding a gun): Your money or your life!
    Jack Benny: [Silent]
    Mugger: Your money or your life!
    Jack Benny: I heard you...I'm just thinking it over.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Is playing TABS detrimental to really learning?

But at that point, aren't you basically just using tabs? I mean, if you're using standard but introducing marks to show which string, fret, and finger to use...well...that's tablature. It just...
  21. Re: If money was no object, and perfect bluegrass tone was only g

I think that's your problem right there. I've heard Dave McLaughlin playing a Kentucky that costs around $1k and I don't think there really was a ceiling to how good he could sound. If I didn't...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Does Praying Help Find Your Blue Chip?

Little known fact...the original last lines to It's a Wonderful Life went like this:

Zuzu: "Daddy, teacher says that every time a banjo is set on fire a mandolin player finds his lost Blue Chip...
  23. Re: Lengthy article on bluegrass in the Guardian (UK)

Maybe the promoter? :grin:

So long as they provide free beer and every guy in the band can make a $100, I'll play your riot! Hell, if you have free beer, you're providing the PA, and you have a...
  24. Re: Lengthy article on bluegrass in the Guardian (UK)

To some degree, I think that's just the angle the author took (a good article usually starts with a good "hook"), and to be fair, on the surface it's not a bad angle from which to explore a music...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Storage: Case vs Hanging on the Wall

Hung on a wall (guitars on stands). My basement is a dedicated music space and we have no children and only a cat for a pet. If we have a party, all instruments go in cases to avoid kids and...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4