Search:

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Light strings for Neapolitan bowl-back

I have Dogal medios on one of my Embergers and it's keeping great and sounds great with them. I was initially hesitant, but a year have passed and so far so good...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: 1908 Calace?

Not a Calace. The label is a fake. There is a seller in Italy on ebay that regularly lists such fakes and seems to be getting away with it, having good ebay feedback.
  3. Re: Do you know the name of this instrument from a shop i Paragua

A small guitar :)))) I guess a hybrid instrument of charango-cavaquinho type for the use of guitar players. Double first courses may not have been there originally. Basically it is a guitarlele in...
  4. Replies
    Views

Mario Maccafferi Boatback mandolin

An interesting one, clearly Mozzani inspired boatback (Maccaferri was his apprentice once).
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/335143953049
  5. Re: Help identifying this "Jul. Heinr. Zimmerman" mandolin

Just noticed this old thread. I have somehow missed it a year ago so will put my five cents in. Zimmerman was a large scale importer. He had also a factory, I believe in Markneukirchen, where he...
  6. Re: What's the Eastman MD305 of Bowlback Mandolins?

Suzuki or Ibanez or any other budget-friendly Japanese bowlback would be good starters. $300-400 should get you a nice one. Most of them would be second hand, though, so choose carefully.
  7. Re: Fratelli Calace Napoli-Catania line of instruments

And one more:
  8. ЭWhy Are You Upsel, Pretty Girl?" Russian Traditional

My little arrangement of a Russian song.

https://youtu.be/65zU43-QPTs
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Now where to?

Hi Mark. Tried to have a look at your page and got warning that it has a virus. Check it up! Thanks.
  10. Re: Questionable labels on bowlbacks on ebay noticed

11. Questionable labels on bowlbacks on ebay noticed

Was going through ebay today, there is a seller from Italy with lots of mandolins, several supposedly top tier instruments with highly dubious labels that look almost handwritten. If you were to buy...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: 1920 Calace Bowlback Mandolin

A very nice instrument and this particular pickguard design (providing it's original and not a later modification) is the one I haven't seen before. If the instrument is sound structurally Elixir...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson A Style-like mandolin from Russia

Finally had a chance to inspect the Russian instrument in person and here are some observations. Nicely playable one with perfect intonation, great action and with quite a bark. Some fretboard...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Ernesto Vacca Venezia - uncommon maker

Hi Mick. The original post has a readable pic of the label. Yes, has Venezia written there. One never knows. It has a swan on the water on a scratchplate, perhaps an allusion to Venezia in a way. A...
  15. Replies
    Views

Ernesto Vacca Venezia - uncommon maker

I came across this one, labelled Ernesto Vacca, Venzezia. Looks Catanese, with Silvestri-shaped headstock and Catania Carmelo style scratchplate. But the tuners are pre-1920 and the instrument in...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: 1913 Embergher ID

Yes, as Jim said, a student model style B. "I Fiori" as it is sometimes referred to. It has a distinct headstock shape typical for only A and B models and the flowers on the scratchplate. A nice...
  17. Re: Looking for more information on this 1902 Vinaccia mando

Very nice Vinaccia indeed. Looks like Dogal Calace Dolce strings were put on (one photo has a pack of those nearby). Good choice. From the Vinaccia range this one considered an intermediate one,...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Found in Habana,Cuba.

FYI

https://www.facebook.com/groups/256091367862365/user/100067555156922

19. Re: Fratelli Calace Napoli-Catania line of instruments

It's a mystery, Jim. I haven't seen them anywhere else, but Russia. My guess is they were probably made in Catania. Perhaps Calace brothers farmed some work to there and didn't want their name to be...
  20. Re: Weird Graziano Macchi bowl-back with 2x oval holes and 2x F h

It is not made by a famous luthier, so I'd confidently divide the asking price by 10. And that on a good day if some collector wants to add a curio to his/her collection.
  21. Re: Weird Graziano Macchi bowl-back with 2x oval holes and 2x F h

Certainly a highly unusual instrument, beautiful in a way, but the price is way out of reach with the reality.
  22. Re: Fratelli Calace Napoli-Catania line of instruments

Yet another instrument found in Russia, this time with the label missing and with the slotted head. Quite possibly of the same obscure Fratelli Calace Napoli-Catania breed. Restored by Dave Hynds....
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Paper Lining for Bowl Back Mandolin

Wallpaper was often used by the makers. It's thick, has entertaining patterns and does the job well. Vintage wallpaper rolls still can be bought and if I was redoing an old bowlback, I'd use it....
  24. Re: Any mandolin with a portrait on the pickguard?

They pop up for sale on ebay and other sites from time to time

25. Re: Any mandolin with a portrait on the pickguard?

I've seen a few of those on mandolins made in Catania. Different women. Just models of that time, I guess. Just like those on numerous "ladies with mandolins" postcards.
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4