Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Annotated list of mandolin method books & songbooks

Thank you for compiling this list. The later volumes of the Bickford method are around and available – this outfit, for instance, sells volume 2 for $10. And there are countless other older mandolin...
  2. Replies
    Views

Weird fretted octobass

The Montreal Symphony Orchestra has a rare and weird octobass, lower than a standard upright bass, that is played using bow, levers and foot pedals. Fascinating article and video are here.
  3. Peter Ostroushko tribute concert – live stream

There will be a free live stream available of the tribute concert for Peter Ostroushko at 7 pm tonight, September 19, 2022, in Minneapolis. Details here. (The concert is sold out for in-person...
  4. Larson Bros. Harp Mandolin on Antiques Roadshow

I noticed an appraisal of a c. 1910 Larson Brothers harp mandolin on this episode of Antiques Roadshow from 2019. The discussion of the instrument begins around 35:00.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: 1924 Lloyd Loar at Elderly Instruments

Regarding the interesting topic of mandolins as investments, I was recently the beneficiary of one such investment decision.

A man in my area advertised to sell a super-blingy old bowlback on...
  6. Re: Stellario Cambria - Mandolin Virtuoso and Composer in New Yor

The Internet Archive just posted a recording of Cambria's "Invocation."
    https://archive.org/details/78_invocation_stellario-cambria-stellario-cambria_gbia0422387a

It must be in the public domain...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Shackleton's ship found (and yes, a mandolin!)

Imagine the humidity problems.
  8. Recorded mandolin music now in the public domain

On January 1, tens of thousands of pre-1923 music recordings entered the public domain in the US. A quick search on archive.com shows that at least 108 of them include mandolin players in...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: What's the best room/apt humidifier?

I've been happy with the Winix Ultrasonic Humidifier that Costco carries. 2 gallon capacity, humidity gauge, warm and cool mist options....
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Emanuil Sheynkman

I met Misha a couple of times because he was a friend of my parents around the late-1970s to early '80s. He was performing a lot in Southern California during that time. I dimly recall him as...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: The "legitimate classical instrument" thing..

I've never heard anyone say the mandolin isn't a legitimate classical instrument, but I do recall reading an entry on the mandolin in an old music reference book that described it as a folk...
  12. Replies
    Views

Marlon Brando playing a mandolin!

Photo was taken on the set of The Godfather.

https://www.abaa.org/book/1411760909
  13. Thread: Howard Frye

by jelhai
    Replies
    Views

Re: Howard Frye

Plucked String Disc in 1984 released an album titled Howard Frye: A Memorial Album 1920-1967.
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin scene in Japan

Most Japanese players, however, are not Bluegrassers. For a good overview of the mandolin scene in Japan, check out this video: https://youtu.be/MrEPHKRS4XM
  15. Re: Where can a classical/Italian player find a non-bowlback mand

You might try to find the Eastman MDB102-MS, which is a bowlback model. There's one listed here in the classifieds right now, within your price limit.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Ostroushko Passes

I've very much enjoyed listening to Peter's podcast. I dug up a profile I wrote of him for Mandozine in 1996.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Ranieri - Art of the Mandolin

It's available and downloadable from IMSLP: https://imslp.org/wiki/L%27Art_de_la_mandoline_(Ranieri%2C_Silvio)
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Mike Marshall's Loar?

This reminds me of an old story, probably apocryphal, about the violinist Fritz Kreisler. A patron had him over for dinner after an afternoon recital, and she served Kreisler a sumptuous meal. "Mr....
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Looking for Biographies about Mandolin players

This thread includes pages of the text of the autobiographical book Mandolin Memories by Samuel Adelstein, which may be of interest.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Solo Recordings - 1 Mandolin

To my ears, the best solo mandolin recording in any genre is Gertrud (Tröster) Weyhofen's album of the 10 preludes by Calace. Here it is on Spotify.
  21. Re: Love the Vega cylinder back sound but can't afford one, optio

Consider trying out some Vega bowlback mandolins. I recently found a wonderful one for $400, and its sound is similar to yet better than a Vega cylinder back I used to own. I have not found it...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Where is this exquisite Lyon & Healy Style A?

The piece is Shalom Aleichem (Peace Be With You), the traditional Jewish music sung after prayer to mark the start of Shabbat.
  23. Replies
    Views

Peter Ostroushko's podcast

Peter Ostroushko recently put up on his website (scroll to bottom of home page) the first episode of a podcast about his work as a radio musician. The music is fantastic, but Peter's telling of his...
  24. Re: Free Mandolin Orchestra/Ensemble music by John Goodin, update

I can attest that John’s mandolin orchestra music is wonderful to listen to and to play.
  25. Thread: Minneapolis

by jelhai
    Replies
    Views

Re: Minneapolis

Just yesterday an article appeared in the Star Tribune about Quinn's, a newer guitar retailer. Also check out Twin Town Guitars.
Page 1 of 2 1 2