Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Convince me of the value of strict DUDU picking?

I'm a firm believer in DUDU picking both a a teacher and as a performer. From a teacher's perspective, it is a foundation technique for playing guitar or mandolin. If you learn DUDU, then you can...
  2. Thread: custom oval hole

by maj34
    Replies
    Views

Re: custom oval hole

Your signature inlay on the peghead is so classy. Lovely mandolin.
  3. Thread: Vinyl!

by maj34
    Replies
    Views

Re: Vinyl!

Here's a picture of my good friend's LP collection. He has been buying records since he was in junior high in the late 1950s, and he doesn't get rid of anything. From the top, the first row is...
  4. Thread: Blonde F-4

by maj34
    Replies
    Views

Re: Blonde F-4

I love blonde F4s. Here is mine.
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Bill Monroe’s “Strawberry Point”

Here's an update. I spoke to Al and Aleta Murphy about this one this morning to get the straight dope. As CarlM pointed out, Monroe wrote this one in the 80s in honor of Strawberry Point, IA. Al...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: I aquired a Old F4..

Love it!
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: New (to me) Snakehead

I'm happy that this thread has turned into a way to think about Kim and Jim. A few of us here in Iowa City got to know them a couple years before Jim died, and we had some fun playing lots of...
  8. Replies
    Views

New (to me) Snakehead

Hi all. I bought a Gibson snakehead mandolin several weeks ago, after years of wanting one. I have always liked the plain Sheraton brown A models, and I found one in great shape. The mandolin...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: What is the "Allure" of The Gibson Snakehead?

Gail Hester started a thread some time ago to discuss thickness and graduation differences between snakehead and paddle head Gibsons here:...
  10. Re: "What kind of music do you play?" and other pet peeves

I play 80-90 gigs a year. In my experience, when someone asks me what kind of music I play or what instrument I'm playing, they are asking because they enjoyed what they heard. They what to know...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: First and last Old Wave

"The Copy" has to be one of my all-time favorite peghead inlays!
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: If you could play with ANYONE....

I like playing all sorts of music, but I really, really love small jams where you get to know someone both personally and musically. So if I had 24 hours to kill, here's how I'd like to do it.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: The Brentrup F5c- July9 copy

Steve asked about the major differences between the Brentrup F5C and the PML. I have a PML, which happened to be Hans' next-to-last F5 before his mandolin-building hiatus. The graduation/voicing...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Phoenix Bluegrass #429

Rolfe makes fantastic mandolins, and he is a great guy as well. He is really unique in the mandolin world in that he makes four different mandolin models with completely different voices.

I...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin/fiddle players

I started playing the fiddle a few years after starting the mandolin, and I think of fiddle as more my main instrument these days. I haven't had any formal fiddle teachers, but I have paid...