Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: David Surette has passed.

A wonderful teacher player and person. Always a highlight of the many camps where I took his lessons and enjoyed his teaching, playing and especially his vibe. I found this sad news because right...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Statman Bought A Loar F5!

About 10 years ago. Yeah, just sitting on it. UVA had (has?) a chair of the music dept. who was an excellent BG fiddler and ran a little BG teaching circle fortuitously across the street where I...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Subscription Tutorial Sites

As a "mandolin omnivore" crossing several styles, I really enjoy PegHead. Am a fan of Joe K. Walsh's teaching, but I guess it depend in part what level you are, and what you hope to learn. The...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Who was the first American mandolin manufacturer?

"...Oliver Ditson hired a young man named John C. Haynes and made him a partner in 1857..."

Interesting- I have a simple system one keyed flute labeled "JC Haynes Boston" estimated to be around...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Modal music (Balkan) on the mandolin

Just a quick thanks for the musical performances and academic information for this beautiful and enigmatic music. One of the take home messages is how far back the concept of "crossover" music goes! ...
  6. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Bernie: "...one's perspective on these things relates to whose ox is being gored?"

Agree- pragmatically (occupational perspective) AND metaphysically (sociopolitical views).
    Now if only...
  7. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

One more thing, more on topic: it is not surprising to see emotion for news about the pieces of wood and artistry that are such important parts of members worlds. Yeah. This is America and suing is...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Long term band

Well Cheese Louse Paul! Could You "Well Seasoned" Martian Hillbillies please record another "album"? That first and only is still my favorite "progressive contra" recording ever! After all these...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Wooden Irish Flute

I play both mandolin and Irish flute. Going to the wooden flute does help a metal flute player understand the important stylistic differences that are borrowed from pipes as well as getting away...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: How to play old time mandolin

Ellen Vigour is along with husband Pete a mainstay of Western Virginia OT in (great) group "Uncle Henry's Favorite" and a gazillion jams. Unpretentiously fits right in with a variety of approaches on...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: When to play beyond 7th fret?

Well, I more or less concede to foldedpath that the vast majority of times ITM played in first position. Here are some youtubes of some players well known and not, where a contribution is made...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Dave Swarbrick RIP

Late to this news, but just had to add my respect for this man. Fairport and Steeleye were my entrees to trad music and the mandolin, it was my love of Swarb and Peter Knights forays into mando that...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Science of Sound?

Musical instruments are really complicated and each one is different. Humans are really really complicated and also unique. The intersection of these that make up the playing experience is...
  14. Thread: The Hurricane

by Gan Ainm
    Replies
    Views

Re: The Hurricane

Great tune, but here's the thing Dagger. YOU are the one most of us would ask for advice on that, because you know, it's a really tricky bit, so unless Mike M. or Chris T. wander by with their Bach...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Chicks dig guys who play an instrument

".......So far, so good, and even better. Perhaps this stuff does work, after all! "

Or maybe you're just a nice guy?

and BTW we ARE all Salamanders....at least we often operate from that...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Introduction to Celtic Music

I’ll echo friend Gary’s endorsement of Marla Fibish and add that her DVD tutor on Irish Mando is a great start, until you can get to one of her workshops. One small warning as to the tenor banjo. ...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: New Marla Fibish Video on PegHead Nation

Bertram comes close I think, but here's the thing: being heard isn't just about being loud. Marla projects plenty, but more importantly, it sound so #######' good that the other players give her...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Who made the first "Celtic" mandolins?

A few more points to consider: As someone else mention the Brits like Steeleye were doing it in the 60's and the best of that lot was likely Dave Swarbrick and his bud Martin Carthy who liked the...
  19. Re: Which came first: Gypsy/Rom Music or Klezmer Music?

This is a complex (and intersting) enough subject that Alan Berg and others made a documentary of it in Germany. From a recent U. of Virginia Screening:

"Alan Bern's musical project, The Other...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: What song made you want to play Mandolin?

Those were the first jigs I ever learned--from that same LP. Hacked through it phrase-by-tortured-phrase on a funky phonograph player and drove my housemates nuts.

Well whatya know Paul, my SECOND...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Left-hand pinky woes....any tips or advice

P.S. I have started working with some "Baoding Balls" a Chines hand exercise tool, that a late freind left me, maybe for just this problem, I'll report back in a few months...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Left-hand pinky woes....any tips or advice

Recently I am trying to practice more, and playing more "hard" tunes and complex chords to get a little better (after years at plateau) before body and brain break down entirely... and noticed the...
  23. Steep Canyon Rangers: Re: Is there a place for percussion

Just Saw the Steep Canyon Rangers, one of my favorite Bluegrass bands in Charlottesville, and was ehhhr...shocked... to see and hear they had a drummer playing a wooden box and snares. The loud womp...