Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: No sir. You don't need an F mandolin...

I love the sound of this Ellis.
    http://themusicemporium.com/mandolins/ellis-a-5-deluxe-cremona-sunburst

Baron from mandolessons.com Ellis sounds great as well.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Silverangel Econo "A"

I would like to say that the time I have spent with Ken told me all I need to know about this man. One thing, he is generous with his time, knowledge, and material possessions. Ken is also a true...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: An open letter to Classifieds users

Well, you seem to be completely missing the point here. The 2% requested donation is based on the SALE PRICE, not the profit. So please don't make this about something that it's not. Besides, the...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: The search continues...

That actual Brentrup was for sale already for muchh less...
    Just knowing that, I can't do it... Nope
    Not saying it shouldn't be, just saying it wasn't
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Changes in availability of Weber Instruments

There's an awful lot of speculation and misinformation in this thread, but also some pretty insightful speculation as well. I could probably write a book on the history of Weber mandolins, the sale...
  6. Re: you just got to watch this, all of it, especially around 3:15

Huh. I rest my case on my early comments in this thread. This girl has got more talent than most of the folks talked about here. You can see what happens when slavish imitation is not the intent, but...
  7. Replies
    Views

Ashokan Farewell

Nice technique he uses here - some form of crosspicking?

I was cruising YT videos for a version of AF to copy and found this. Gonna slow it down and see if it is something I can learn to do.

8. Sore first finger when playing E string

Hi,

I've been playing a couple of years and still have difficulty with the first 2 frets of the e string. It just seems like there's not room to bend my finger comfortably and that it's too...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Why Does Gibson Favor Sitka?

He used what he had...
    ...and when he lived over in Idaho, he had an Engelmann source.
    I sold him Sitka, and I know he used it...

Same with the maple he chose to use--a lot of it is unfigured...
  10. you just got to watch this, all of it, especially around 3:15

just hold on to something and watch, i will say no more, wow-the tool pile at 3:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x50_JIpaQY

this is actually pretty cool, keep this for last

11. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo for Irish Trad?

I took a similar path a couple years ago in starting to learn "Irish" flute (simple system, conical bore wooden flute). It wasn't for the airs, but more to explore articulation on the sustained tone,...
  12. Thread: Humidity

by Oliver A.
    Replies
    Views

Re: Humidity

How critical is it? That depends on the environment that the finished instrument is exposed during it's lifetime. If the instrument is made in a location where the seasonal variations in temperature...
  13. Re: Nervous about selling from Mandolin Cafe Classified

I'm going to post the answer I provided you for the benefit of others.

Known seller with history on the Classifieds, no complaints. Anyone with a complaint has already been removed from...
  14. Re: Breedlove production moving to China -- Will Weber be next?

Hey fellow mandolin warriors. To put fears to rest. There are no intensions of ever moving any part of Weber to China. We will remain a domestically built family of instruments.
  15. Re: Breedlove production moving to China -- Will Weber be next?

I wish I could say I'm surprised, but I'm not. As someone who was intimately involved with Weber for 12 years, and as one of the few people who made the move to Bend from Montana, I saw the writing...
  16. Re: Breedlove production moving to China -- Will Weber be next?

I completely agree with TonyP. I know it's pure speculation (though not completely unfounded) at this point as to whether Two Old Hippies will do something similar to Weber, but the signs don't look...
  17. Thread: Thanks Button?

by GTison
    Replies
    Views

Re: Thanks Button?

I didn't know it was there.
  18. Re: Tam Lin, the song i'm working on right now.

Well, in that case ... I've been dying to post this

jy3ihk205ew

and this, revisited some 40 years later (astonishingly close in running time),

p5JMuURuLMc

and this. Clearly not the same...
  19. Tam Lin, the song i'm working on right now.

Big thank you to these two fellows for giving back to the people of this forum.

really enjoying the lessons and learning at mandolessons.com.
    I appreciate the site Baron has developed highly.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson changing its course

This is nonsense, just nonsense.

IP rights can't be enforced unless one possesses a valid patent, or evidence that you have asserted a claim to copyright at the time of first publication. For a...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Dealing With Spouse

What a shame this thread has been derailed. I am not going to tell anyone what should or should not offend them. But it is tough to understand why anyone would be offended about the word "wife"...
  22. Replies
    Views

Punk Rock Mandolin!!! :-P

Hey Guys,

Had to share this with y`all... *WARNING: loud - nasty - very un-bluegrassy mandolin playing in this thread* :-P

My "Punk Rock Hillbilly" band got to do two shows on the Hits N Pits...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: About those 48 hour approval periods....

Dude...Your two posts perfectly illustrate the problem here. Hard to expect two people to agree on something when one person can't agree with himself.
  24. Replies
    Views

About those 48 hour approval periods....

I've debated bringing this up for a while now and have decided I would like to see what others think.

I recently bought a mandolin on a 48 hour approval agreement. The mandolin arrived and I...
  25. Replies
    Views

Interview with Marla Fibish

I was able to interview Marla Fibish last week. Here's a transcript of her comments about playing Irish music on the mandolin.
Page 1 of 2 1 2