Search:

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: TSA mandolin incident

I had the same experience going through security with a vintage tenor banjo about 10 years ago -- the agent wanted to look at it because she thought it looked like a beautiful instrument on the x-ray...
  2. Replies
    Views

It's nice to have an instrument that looks good in black & white. :))

https://cdn.artcld.com/img/w_1920,h_1920,c_fit/1328eoj90scnpzjdo9ie.jpg
  3. Replies
    Views

After having my carry-on luggage strip searched a few times a kindly TSA agent pointed out that my harmonicas in their case look just like gun magazines on the x ray. Now I pull them out and keep the...
  4. Re: looking to identify instrument bought in Germany

German lute guitar from early part of the 2th century with scallopped fretboard. Part of the romantic troubadour era in Germany. Our German friend s here can give us more details. No, not a mandolin.
  5. Re: Marty Stuart solo mandolin in KC as a train joins in

that was fantastic, thanks for posting that link.
    MS is a monster mando player, does things you just don't see done on a mandolin-almost like its an electric guitar he is playing.
  6. Re: Marty Stuart solo mandolin in KC as a train joins in

There is another young man who everybody claims is The Greatest;

MS (and SB) have more Soul & Tone in one note than every one he's ever played.....
  7. Marty Stuart solo mandolin in KC as a train joins in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNLiNeTzWsw
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is the A string always jacked up?

This is an interesting observation.

As a builder, I've found that the AA strings are the first diagnostic of a problem with the graduation/carving of the top and tone bars.

One of the main...
  9. Re: Telemann: Siciliana from Partita No. 5, mandolin/mandocello d

Thanks, Mick and Chuck!

Chuck: A Siciliana is a pastoral dance tune, usually in compound time (6/8, 9/8 or 12/8) and a minor key. In the early baroque period usually quite lively becoming slower...
  10. Replies
    Views

Harvest Moon - AJ Lee style

If anyone can play Harvest Moon similar to AJ Lee on Youtube, https://youtu.be/ml22cp4ojHg I would love to see a video of it or any help at all to learn to play this. Thanks in advance
    Mike
  11. Thread: Mando Tone

by Jim Garber
    Replies
    Views

Re: Mando Tone

Caberguy: I understand the concept of note definition and concern with bass. Not sure what you are talking about attack especially as built in to some instruments. I assume that attack is more in the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando Tone

This Sierra Hull video has great tips about achieving good tone. Lots of things factor into the differences you hear between guitar and mandolin tone wise - type of pick used (teardrop/pointy vs....
  13. Replies
    Views

Bela Fleck and Chris Thile

Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/YSJqEgSpXTc
  14. 'Good Vibrations' for 7 mandolins and 3 mandocellos

I haven't decided how well this video works, but it was inspired by a phenomenal piece of artistry. I remember hearing the original work while I was on my knees, scrubbing floors in Orwell, Ohio...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Jethro Burns at Adler House, 1985

This has to be one of the best mandolin performances of all time
  16. Replies
    Views

Amazing. I've seen bits & pieces of that Adler House show before - I'm glad I took this time to watch it start to finish. One thing that is really cool about this video is that Paul Goelz got some...
  17. Replies
    Views

That’s a great video. I’ve enjoyed it several times over the years.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: What's the big deal about changing strings?

Lol, I generally wait too long to change my strings, but am always happy with the outcome. When I was playing at church more pre-COVID I changed strings more frequently, and would do so a few days...
  19. Re: What's the big deal about changing strings?

I agree with you. No rush.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: What's the big deal about changing strings?

I'm another one of those guys who doesn't see changing strings (whether on my mandolin or one of my guitars) to be a chore or anything to rush thru...I'm not on a mission...

I relax, take my time,...
  21. Re: What's the big deal about changing strings?

Changing strings sucks.
  22. Re: What's the big deal about changing strings?

Saw Michael Cooney -- geez, must be 55 years ago now! -- break a banjo string, and he sang Nu Grape, a cappella, while he put a new string on.

On the other hand, saw the Osborne Brothers a few...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Why play Mandolin?

Yeppers. In my old jug band, that was one of fearless leader's ideas - arrange blues songs for our instrumentation. I handled the right hand of the piano, the guitar handled the left (as did the...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: gigs .... starting to return?

One in late March, two in July and a Music on the Porch kind of thing in June. And our weekly slow session is (slowly) restarting.
  25. Replies
    Views

Thile Update NYT

New York Times profile of 40-year old mandolinist, C.T. HERE

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4