Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Statman Bought A Loar F5!

I'm SO sure! ;) He probably prefaces it by saying, "You'll never believe this. But one time I was running a workshop in ... somewhere down South, I don't know where, in the boondocks. And by some...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Andy Statman Bought A Loar F5!

Don't know about Andy, but my tremelo is much better after some espresso!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Irish Tenor Banjo Recordings

Cathal Hayden is the business, both on fiddle and banjo. I belive he's made a CD called Hooked On Banjo, but I haven't heard it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OL3W3lAENyE
  4. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

I think most luthiers respect the craft, skill, and innovations of the people making Gibson instruments from various eras. Starting with Orville himself, the original Gibson, all the way up through...
  5. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

I was part of some of the efforts to protect their product, trademarks, etc by Gibson while I was there. There is a lot more to this than just emotions or wanting to kick the big dog. I was used as...
  6. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

There's a big difference between a copy and a counterfeit. (A point which appears to be lost on Mark Agnesi in his role as Gibson spokesman.)

I agree that counterfeit instruments - instruments...
  7. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

Bill McCall, it needs to be said that no individual builder tried to copy a 60's, or 70's Gibson. They tried copying early 20's Gibsons because Gibson wasn't doing it.
  8. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

I find it noteworthy that Gibson sued Dean not for trademark violation, but instead for counterfeiting. In other words, Gibson submitted under oath that Dean was building instruments meant to be...
  9. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

It is a choice for every business entity (large or small) to follow this path, or not. Doing nothing (as they have for decades wrt design rights) is a choice. Litigation is a choice. Threatening...
  10. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

I guess many of us are playing folk musik in order to escape to a better world, away from politics, and they want their instruments and their makers to reflect that sentiment. You thought you had...
  11. Re: Gibson threatening the mandolin and guitar luthier community

I've never had a US job wherein I did't have the final say on whether or not I followed through on a order. On two occasions, the pay wasn't enough to have me abandon my own principles, and in all...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Modal music (Balkan) on the mandolin

The modes are actually different and the tonality is too, but there really are similarities to klezmer. I know a guy who plays klezmer clarinet, we used to compare songs often. Misirlou is in a scale...