Re: Good news, bad news.

"Hey Charlie, I think I'm happy for the first time since my accident
    And I wish I had all the money we used to spend on dope
    I'd buy me a used car lot and I wouldn't sell any of 'em
    I'd just drive...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: So, thinking about an octave oval hole

NFI but ther's a beautiful looking Cricket Fiddle f style octave in the classifieds https://www.mandolincafe.com/ads/134877#134877 (the builder is actually Tom Jessen by the way not Dan) It doesn't...
  3. Thread: Weber Models

by THart
    Replies
    Views

Re: Weber Models

Mando family pricing pages.

4. Thread: Weber Models

by THart
    Replies
    Views

Re: Weber Models

I'm a bit of a new comer to the Weber world and was looking for info myself a few years back. The models and some of the details of construction have varied over the years but you're right, the...
  5. Thread: Ebonizing?

by THart
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ebonizing?

I use casein paint for picture frames. I bet India ink would work too. I'd look for the Winsor Newton Black Indian ink in the shellac base. That should hold up well under poly I'd think. Cheap enough...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Are you a mandolin picker?

I think my mandolins picked me but I do like to bang around on them.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber, the best years.

The one at the Fretted Frog is listed as new, just old stock. Good luck with your search!

*I think I thought I was posting in the other thread where you were looking for a mandolin
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber, the best years.

Looks like Fretted Frog has taken down the 25% off offering. I wonder if that one is BW signed. It seems to me it was on there site back when I bought my Renegade & it is signed by Bruce. Did anyone...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: $3000 limit Weber, Collings, Pava or?

Crazy, isn't it? No sales tax for me having my nice new Weber resonator sent from another state but buy in state and you pay hundreds in sales tax. I feel for the brick & mortars (of which I am one....
  10. Replies
    Views

If it's a Bitterroot F14 I were after I'd take a close look at the Fretted Frog. They have one you could pick up for 2775 it looks like, new under full warranty. NFI but I've bought from them &...
  11. Replies
    Views

Sounds like the OP is probably looking used but if you're looking to buy new I see the Fretted Frog has a NOS Bitterroot F14 that can be had for well under $3000
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner screw pops out

So far it seems ok. I bought the mandolin used and have had it a few years so the problem was a while in the making. I have a guitar in with Bruce for repair. Maybe next time we communicate I'll just...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: New Jessen GBOM build

Ah, Forgot! Next time! I made a last minute dash to the MBOTMA winter bluegrass gathering for a sneak preview. Some tweaks & varnish still to be done but it's looking & sounding great! 165619
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Underrated Players?

I mentioned Ry Cooder as one of the first players to get my attention, which led to Yank Rachel. I've definitely got to get some more Rich DelGrosso on my radar because I love that blues mandolin.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Underrated Players?

Truth is, there's so many great players it seems like it must be the easiest thing in the world to achieve, Right? A couple in this neck of the woods that immediately come to mind are Peter...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Having a great time, wish you were here

A little cell phone vid of a Richard Kriehn composition.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q2R6-yVtOI
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Having a great time, wish you were here

The 318 in Excelsior on lake Minnetonka. A little cafe, probably holds not more than 50. Third time weve seen them there. Those two play like few others can for sure. I asked Pat, he says they're...
  18. Replies
    Views

New Jessen GBOM build

I suppose some of you, maybe alot of you, have been down this road but having an instrument built is a new experience for me. I thought I'd post this link to Tee Jay Jesson's facebook page (that's...
  19. Re: rookie question: Weber -vs- Collings -vs- others

No, I haven't had the chance to play much of anything else. Got my Weber on ebay. I think I got a very good buy but I may have been a little (dumb) lucky on that. I'm sure not every late night...