Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Franks' Mandolin Kitchen

Down Home Waltz-- great tune and played beautifully. Thank you.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Calhoun Just Ordered

I've been very happy with my Calhoun. Had it for almost 2 years now. Mellow compared to my The Loar 520 and not as loud. Hope you enjoy yours!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin As A New Direction

If this is how you feel, are you sure you're ready to sell?
  4. Replies
    Views

It's never too late to start anything that is full of musical pleasure or anything that brings one out to be a better person. I'm just 43 and for years just made noise on mandolins and guitars but I...
  5. Replies
    Views

Ha, if you wanted to be convinced about something, this is the wrong place to post. Here you can be convinced about things you didn't even know you needed to be convinced about.
  6. Replies
    Views

The worst possible person to compete against is yourself!

I'm about your age, and I just play my instruments because it's (a) fun and (b) my favorite way to socialize. If I wanted to be star,...
  7. Replies
    Views

If you were sure of your decision you would not be asking us about it. Still it is your choice. I have a real nice banjo languishing in a corner. It was bought for my wife who decided it was too...
  8. Replies
    Views

I understand your decision, but I live with a different view. After 35 years of leaving the guitars in their cases, I took up mandolin at 63, and have not become the player I initially aspired to...
  9. Replies
    Views

You’ve gotta do what works for you. I’m glad you got a good taste of playing mandolin and that you’ve found that your happy place is with the guitar. Play on, friend!
  10. Replies
    Views

Heaven forbid, if playing the guitar does it for you, then that's great. I, too, am an old violinist, starting at the age of 8, and always aspired to play guitar, primarily because I just didn't...
  11. Replies
    Views

I respect your decision. You've analyzed your own situation, limitations, goals, etc., and decided what works for you. Of course, part of your decision has to do with your goals. As you said, "I...
  12. Replies
    Views

@CBFrench, it's great you still love and play acoustic guitar. *Any* instrument that brings you joy is a wonderful gift and just because one doesn't get your motor running, so to speak, well, that's...
  13. Replies
    Views

I don't know if it's timing, age, experience or what...
    I started on violin as a 10 year old kid. I dabbled with acoustic guitar a little until I was around 13 and got more serious about it. ...
  14. Replies
    Views

I'm a little older than you and started picking up the fiddle lately, working on guitar and banjo again too. It's never too late.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Orange is now Watchhouse

The official explanation, posted here, suggests this. But I don't get it. In what way does "Mandolin Orange" suggest a particular style of music, except one with mandolin in it? Am I missing a...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Choro listening recommendations

Dan,

Over at David Grisman's Acoustic Disc he has a great choro album by Jacob do Bandolim:

https://acousticdisc.com/product/jacob-do-bandolim-mandolin-master-of-brazil-vol-1-download/

Real...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Cleaning a fretboard

I've been very impressed with this stuff. Conditions and cleans the fretboard and polishes the frets.
    http://www.gorgomyte.com/
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Greensleeves

I wrote a lesson on the three common minor scales we use - natural minor, harmonic minor and melodic minor - in a simple and practical method for getting them under your fingers. It may help to study...
  19. Re: Latest ignorant question: Bout like "boot" or like boxing mat

What's this discussion about a bout?
  20. Re: Latest ignorant question: Bout like "boot" or like boxing mat

I's just 'bout to say. ;)

It's not like "route," which can go either way. And I don't mean there and back. :grin:

OK, shutting up now ... :whistling:
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Diving Duck Blues

Thanks, CB. It's always fun to see and hear that video. It's from Steve's instructional video, Learn to Play Blue Mandolin (Homespun). Here's the original with Yank Rachell on mandolin:
  22. Replies
    Views

I'm a longtime fan of Mandolin Orange, and always found the name of the band a bit whimsical and it just rolls so trippingly off the tongue... :)

Watchhouse... not so much...

And the new song...
  23. Replies
    Views

There is not a mandolin but their video of Boots Of Spanish Leather is one that I keep watching and enjoying. Thanks for the news.

Turns out the mandolin was in their name so here is a link
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Mapes Strings

I use Mapes on my mandos and even my mandola. I just up the gauges on the mandolin strings to 15,25,35,52. $6.00 a set!
  25. Thread: stand or sit?

by JeffD
    Replies
    Views

Re: stand or sit?

Churchill supposedly said "I don't run when I can walk, and I don't walk when I can ride." I would add "I don't stand when I can sit." That goes for my entire lifestyle, not just musical endeavors. ...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4