Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. 'The mandolin sisters' - Indian Carnatic mandolin

4HulRsObons

Came across this on mastodon and thought you might all enjoy. These are both 5 string electric mandolins, as are common in Indian music and made famous by U. Srinivas.
  2. Replies
    Views

Useful tool from elsewhere

For getting at some things where a clamp won’t work, I had been looking for a tiny version of a ‘lab jack’, that is a scissor jack, and of course SM sells one that costs far more than my first car. ...
  3. Replies
    Views

Mando Deoderant

Talk amongst yerselves. Or Shop Mando.

4. Poll: Re: Just starting out -- Should I really learn to "read music"?

I think my main objection to the poll, and the question itself, is the word "should". I didn't say this at first because I wanted to encourage folks to go do and try. But the real reality is that...
  5. Replies
    Views

How Will I Know - Whitney Houston

This melody sits great on the mando...

https://youtu.be/UXgQ1Ogk1_k
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: I can’t find The Blues in my Mandolin

It's not the voice, it's the vocabulary and the accent.

Coming from a non-bluegrass background, I always cringe when a bluegrass player claims to be playing jazz or blues... and then uses all...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: All Blues - Miles Davis

I DID answer the question!

Every single time I saw Miles live he played this song in a completely different key, in a different time signature, with a different band. Anything was fair game. With...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: All Blues - Miles Davis

I saw Miles live six times.

Every show, he played this tune completely different.
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: No plectrum but fingerpicking only

Posting this for a friend…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RQirZW085I
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Let's talk small, high-end, acoustic amps

I used to own the acoustic image guitar version of their amp. As a double violin and mandolin player, I found it didn't really sound any better than my old Loudbox 100. So I sold it to a buddy who...
  11. Re: Expanding my searches. Thoughts on USA Ovation mandolins?

It’s been long enough since I’ve played one to comment much on their necks, but I don’t recall them being uncomfortable. The Applause guitar I had (as a cheap plug n play guitar) had a really narrow...
  12. Re: Will being a lefty, but playing right handed be more limiting

This so true, and it took me by surprise. If I inadvertently step into it, I beg your forgiveness. I am right handed and my brother is left handed. We have talked for years about it, and it is our...
  13. Re: Looking at your hands while playing -- opinions?

I never look at my hands, either of them. I happen to be totally blind, not one who is trying some new technique. Even so, I find it quite pleasant and rather liberating.

Back when I started...
  14. Thread: Tuner Musings

by Ray(T)
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tuner Musings

I remember seeing a picture of those (or the guitar version) with the covers removed. They’re simply 4 on a plate tuners with tin covers riveted on and not grease filled like the ones 8 have - the...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Amplification

" It takes one hell of a drummer to sound better than no drummer at all." Jazz legend Chet Baker

16. Replies
    Views

Floating Top Guitar, very interesting.

This was posted on YT about 3 months ago, but I haven't seen anyone share it here.

Its about 25 ish minutes long but very interesting to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAJmQWK41WY
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: another string changing tip

A revelation I found for changing strings appears (among other places) on more than one Rosa String Works repair/setup vids on YouTube (thanks for that Rosa!). I'ts a very basic idea that for me...