Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Curly maple wow

lightly dampen the wood. It will carve easier.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Should a beginner buy electric mandolin?

Lots of weird "spam" stuff here...

I'll say what I tell beginners in the violin world: You can't learn tone production on an electric violin/fiddle, and it is the same with an electric mando vs...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin world vs fiddle world

JeffD, not much improvisation in old time music? Find a fiddler who plays a tune the same way twice through. Jeff Todd Titon describes a fiddle tune as an unfurnished room. The doors and windows are...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin world vs fiddle world

I had a shop in a well-known fretted instrument shop, many years ago. What I would tell the staff is that when someone calls on the phone and says, "I have a 1955 Martin D-18...", you know what it...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Finish impact on resonance?

Michael Dresdner once told me that it didn't really matter what the finish was when it came to thickness. If it was too thick, regardless of substance, it impacted the sound in a negative way. If it...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Drilling out the top

1-fresh, sharp drill
    2-You can swell out the dents with a warm, damp sponge, just don't get things too wet.
    3-As John said, a leather pad on the post
    4-don't go too fast, don't press too hard
  7. Re: Non-mandolin question: Archtop, violin building references

Violin maker here: Courtnall and Johnson is perhaps one of, if not, the best. Brian Derber was the instructor at the Chicago School of Violin Making, and his book is excellent as well. The Strobel...
  8. Re: Customer selecting specific woods for custom build

We collect wood for years and know, or at least think we know, the characteristics of our wood in the stash, and we learn to shape and graduate the raw materials that we have to our best benefit. If...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Eastman 305 strap button--friction fitted?

Try putting a bit of soft chalk on the shaft and twist it back in. If that is still too loose, shim with a shaving of wood or a piece of tape, but with the knowledge that when you turn the heat on in...
  10. Re: Pickett mandolin

From , "The Violin Makers of the United States", by T.J. Wenberg:

Pickett, James H.; Woodville, TX. 1934-(printed in 1986). Born in Houston, TX, Worked for Control Data Corp. doing field work....
  11. Re: What should I do with this interesting and great sounding man

Unfortunately it looks like you might need a new neck block and rebuild whatever is there. If it is a Siminoff mortice, I've had luck converting them to bolt-on, but it's a mess to get out. It is...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Women with Mandolins

The Boswell Sisters.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Not all Collings hold their value

I wasn't going to comment on this thread until I saw your comment.

I won't say who I was working for, but it was a major Acoustic Retailer. A customer called in asking about a Collings Guitar, a...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: A $45 million fiddle?

It is indeed one of 10 Stradivari violas in existence. There are 2 composite instruments, but only this viola and one in the hands of the Rothschild family are in private hands. Only one of Strad's...