Search:

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo...Which player...

Caleb Klauder has the machinegunniest tremolo. Percussive. Loud. In your face. Some might call it mandolin abuse. I like it but it ain't sweet or smooth. And Caleb uses it well.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Double Time vs. Half Time

"double time" vs "half time"

In formal metrical analysis, each of these terms is an example of what is called a "dok". If they are indeed equal, they are known as "paradoks".

Hope this helps!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Mando Deoderant

At first I was taken aback by the "New Scent" being "Unscented". But I did read something recently that scientists have shown that "silence" is actually a sound. So I guess unscented might actually...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: New Project (pics)

I somehow missed this thread on its original posting. Thanks for the update and all the best to you, son, and wife!
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Did something I never thought I’d do

You and son are in good company, Mark. Even Pavarotti was (allegedly) singing a step or two down late in his career. I have to say "allegedly" because I don't want to get sued....
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: my homemade mandolin

I think today's mandolins do look pretty with all those sunbursts and stain but I really like the look of natural wood. I trust that bluewood binding was sustainably grown and harvested and no...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: The Girl I Left Behind Me

This thread - https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?discussionid=6977&do=discuss - has a bit of history for the tune including "waxies dargle"; see the first few posts.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Checking in--I didn't disappear

All the best for a smooth surgery and a quick rehab.
  9. Re: Possible to quickly search Classifieds for "Used" mandolins o

Well I did a Google search for

That gave a bunch of hits but it's not a real neat solution.

I think this has been discussed before and basically the answer has been that the software for the...
  10. Re: Gibson Model Designations' (Very) Loose Connection to Cat Gen

This is true if you overfeed your cat. Cut back the rations to the vet-recommended diet and it'll give you all kinds of attention ... starting about an hour before dinnertime.

I think the 5 may...
  11. Thread: Ghosted

by HonketyHank
    Replies
    Views

Re: Ghosted

Also for the record: I have bought and sold mandolins through the cafe's classifieds for several years and have had good communications in each case.

Scott runs a smooth operation here.
  12. Re: Best way to learn to play Smooth and Clean (not sloppy)?

Thanks to the OP and all the responders for this great thread. I am currently rehabbing from a moderate severity stroke suffered last month. I initially thought I would nver play again. I have been...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: E string 1st fret issue and thumb wheels

See my signature below re Rob Meldrum's free ebook on mando setup. You'll find that poor action near the nut is a very common problem, especially on lower cost (entry level) instruments. It's not...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Musty Smell in the case and mandolin.

Nobody has plugged Natures Miracle yet, so I'll just mention it. Available at pet stores. Several different formulations available, so read the labels. I can't remember which one I used but it worked...
  15. Re: How often should my mandolin need to be tuned?

Since this thread seems have covered the bases re the OP's question, I don't mind going OT and saying that there actually was such a thing as an "electronic tuner" back then. Our symphonic band...
  16. Re: How often should my mandolin need to be tuned?

Also, as a matter of physics, mandolin strings have a relatively short vibrating length. Thus relatively small changes in temperature, top deflection, etc, have bigger effect compared to a banjo.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: What's this? 0-3-2-0

I believe that is called "chordascii" after the famous russian balalaikaist.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber Yellowstone Experts

March, 2005. last 2 digits = month. first digit = year-2000 for seven digit s/n's.

I do like it. I trust it has that Weber-y sound with added oval-holiness.
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Shaving bridge feet

I would use 100 grit to remove wood, then follow with 220 grit to smooth it out.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Old New Guy -Any second day tips?

Welcome to the cafe! Check out the Newbies group; several of us Newbies are Oldies. Mutual support as we learn is what the Newbies do.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Weber Yellowstone Transformation

Two things I am curious about:
    a) what year was your Yellowstone made?
    b) I am surprised that it had polyurethane or that it was so thick.

If the year is unknown, it can be determined from the...
  22. Re: What Are Some Good Options in the $2-3k range?

Welcome to the forum, danoverb! Note that I sent you a private message. And I would invite you to check out the Newbies Social Group.
  23. Re: Weber Bridge - nut spinning, unable to raise/lower

With all respect to the two very knowlegeable luthiers above, I offer my non-expert opinion derived from my having worked on several Brekke Traditional bridges on my own Webers.

I am pretty sure...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Tailpiece detail

My poor eyes failed me (not for the first time) - I never even saw the lower hook. And I swear I counted nine hooks up top. But this morning I can say "was blind but now I see". Yeah, I think it is...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Tailpiece detail

Could be for a waldzither.
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 4