Search:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Nice Looking F4 at Music Folk

Back when I was still playing in public (pre-covid) I always used my A-1. It is louder than my F-4, but the F-4 has a better sound for playing to myself. The A-1 could fill a room with sound, but...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Lost bit of binding, 1915 F-4

Here you go:
    http://www.mandolinarchive.com/gibson/serial/22227
    It’s 1913 according to Spahn, but I was told by Gryphon’s that it is from 1915.
  3. Replies
    Views

Sorry to take so long to answer: I've been traveling.

According to the son, (Actually the grandson of the original buyer) His grandmother bought the mandolin for her daughter. She played it...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Learning mandolin and music theory?

One thing about "music theory" you should know when you start is that what we call "music theory" is mostly nomenclature for the the actual performance of music. For example, in music theory we talk...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: 1925 H1 Mandola

Very nice. I have a 1916-1917 H-1 myself.
    Have you noticed that the beat up old mandolins (and mandolas) seem to sound better than the same make, model, and year, that are more like museum...
  6. Replies
    Views

All fixed

7. Replies
    Views

Re: Antiqued/distressed instruments?

I'm just the opposite. I dearly love to own really old instruments that look like new...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson F2 and F4 mandolins.

I've never bought a mandolin with its market value, now or potentially in the future, as a factor in my decision making. I bought an F-4 after playing it for about 6 months when it was on loan to me...
  9. Re: I decided to hang it on the wall: it might be safer there

Oops, yeah. A-1!
  10. Re: I decided to hang it on the wall: it might be safer there

This is the "Jeanette Greene" mandolin. It was purchased in over 100 years ago by Meredith Green in San Diego, CA, and went to her daughter, Jeanette, when she was in her 'teens. Jeanette stopped...
  11. I decided to hang it on the wall: it might be safer there

It has been in its case most of the time for the last 100 years, but I think I am more likely to damage it pulling it out and putting it back than if I keep it on the wall.
  12. Re: How to Open a Vintage Guitar Store in Seven Easy Steps

In 2002, when I first logged onto Mandolin Cafe, I had just started my little business designing and building underwater cameras for the nuclear power industry. I started playing mandolin to help me...
  13. Replies
    Views

Josh Turner Guitar Plays Mandolin

https://youtu.be/_7xGI0uy36g
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: F2/F4 style mandolins?

As I sit here watching the smoke from the wildfires upwind of me, and see the wind getting stronger, I think of what I need to take with me if I should have to flee.
    In no particular order: my...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

Hello, everybody. I just started on "First Night in Leadville", Ryan's Mammoth p42. Norman Blake does a version of this delightful tune (on guitar) on his album "Far Away Down on a Georgia Farm" ...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: A mandolin/violin relative price story

According to Phil Salazar, the story goes that in the bow workshop, they build them first, then a violinist comes in and sorts them by how they play. They can look exactly the same, and be made...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson mandolin tailpiece cover

I have the same on my '57 A-5.
  18. Re: F4 vs F5; or, how do you like your oval holes?

The best money I ever spent in my life was a wedding ring for my wife. Second best was my F
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: No to cookie cutter mandolins

I've bought "Alternative woods" both from Joe and another builder. I doubt I would have any trouble selling Joe's instrument, although I don't think I ever would, but I have had bad news about the...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Tuning Mandolin without a tuner

The simplest method I know is to start with tuning by 5ths, then fret a 2-0-0-2 D chord and tweak from there. The A to D sound should sound like the "A-MAY" in "Amazing Grace", the D to A is...
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: My mandolin got eaten by a Stratocaster.

I've been ignoring my mandolin for the past few weeks in favor of a hand-built dulcimer. I've been trying to figure out the dulcimer, which is almost completely, but not quite, not the same as a...
  22. Re: and some of us think 8 strings are a hand full

A month ago I built a mountain dulcimer. It's only 3 strings, but it is almost, but not quite, exactly the opposite of playing a mandolin, violin or guitar. It's supposed to be easy to play, but...
  23. Re: Relearning to Read Music - a tale of Anxst

"I read music so good, white folks think I'm fakin' it."--Coalhouse Walker, Ragtime, E.L. Doctorow
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

Lamplighter's Hornpipe. p. 185 of Ryan's Mammoth, p. 17 of Mandolin Player's Pastime.

(As an introduction to Old Time Mandolin, MPP is a great resource if you can find it. The photo below is...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Ugh. It happened.

I stopped buying after I bought a beautiful F4 years back. But that doesn't mean I don't lust after every quilted maple backside I see...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4