Search:

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Barry Harris method for learning bebop

Hi Pete, I just discovered this thread (late to the party, I know) and was wondering what your thoughts are on absorbing your work here.

I have studied jazz guitar in the past and worked on lines...
  2. Thread: Coombe #305

by Dean Gray
    Replies
    Views

Re: Coombe #305

Sadly this one is not mine! I have a beautiful A5 of Peter's and a 2nd generation flat top. I am pretty sure yours is a 3rd generation and is a bit louder than mine.

There is a difference, even...
  3. Thread: Coombe #305

by Dean Gray
    Replies
    Views

Re: Coombe #305

4. Thread: Coombe #305

by Dean Gray
    Replies
    Views

Coombe #305

Peter Coombe has somehow improved his flat top mandolin design further, today I got to play #305, and I have serious MAS.
    This is now the 4th generation of his classical flat top model.

Engleman...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: The Emigrant's Adieu

Fascinating program Richard. Will it be streamed or recorded?
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Peter Coombe A oval

Hi Nick. Here are a couple of photos of my 2 Coombe mandolins.

Just had a good blast on the A5 after two weeks away, it feels and sounds great. It's definitely my main...
  7. Re: Just One of Those Things...from Aaron Weinstein

Just found this. I can't decide what I enjoyed more, the wonderful playing or the "creative" editing.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Australian Tune Thread!

This is The Wedding of Lachlan McGraw. I've heard him called Lochan as well.
    I don't know it's origin, maybe Graham McDonald does?

Taught to me by Mike Martin after hearing it on a Collector...
  9. Replies
    Views

Australian Tune Thread!

I thought it would be good to have a thread dedicated to Australian tunes, so here we go.
    Maybe it should be "Australian" as our combined repertoire is a mix of bits and pieces from other countries...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: The Bear Dance

Nice tune, well done!
    We have a Bear Dance tune commonly played in our area called Berendans (Dancing Bear/Dick's Pig).
    I wonder how many different tunes share the name?
  11. Re: NMD: Peter Coombe classical flattop mandolin

Congratulations mate on your new Coombe. I'm sure you will have much musical joy with it.
    Interesting to learn about Alexander Laing. I will have to add him to my "tunes to learn" list.
    We play a...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: 2 Gilchrists and a Coombe!

Peter is unlikely to ever sell that Gil! He just put up a post with the mandolins from our picking session today, we had these three plus a new oval hole A he made, and some vintage beauties.
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: 2 Gilchrists and a Coombe!

Thanks acharman! I'll post some more pics of my A5 soon. The back is claro walnut with lovely figuring, and I asked Peter for a slightly wider (32mm) nut.
    It is still a very new mando so we are...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Oval hole mandolin recommendations

Hi archaman. What style of music do you play? Unless you are purely bluegrass, a Coombe flat top could be just the thing, and in your budget. I have one of his 2nd gen models (just came home from a 3...
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Performing in a sport coat

Dressing up a bit for the gig is great. Though suit jackets do sometimes get hot. I have heard of people tearing the liner out to minimise the sweat factor.
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Bach Invention #3 BMV 774

Well done. And a bonus to play this with your son.
  17. Replies
    Views

2 Gilchrists and a Coombe!

Today I had the chance to play my new Coombe A5 with both Peter Coombe and my mate Bruce on their Gilchrists. This doesn't happen often in rural Australia!

Bruce just picked up his new F5 from...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: NMD - Peter Coombe classical flattop

Hi Eric, congratulations on your new mandolin. I too am a very proud owner of a Coombe flat top mandolin. Peter's choice of timber combinations, knowledge of traditional mandolin construction and...
  19. Thread: Tremolo Tips

by Dean Gray
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tremolo Tips

Everyone will have their own take on it..... here's mine.

Check out the classical methods, particularly Bickford, who advises people don't attempt tremolo until they have done lots of work on rest...
  20. Re: Maienzeit bannet Leid (Neidhart von Reuental, c. 1220)

Nice! Thanks for sharing this. I haven't explored medieval music yet, still working on Bickford! Will start looking for earlier music to play.
  21. Replies
    Views

Re: Hi, I'm new to this

Hi Bron, good to see a fellow Australian mandolin player here! There is great mandolin community in Australia though we are fairly widely dispersed.
    I think there may be a mandolin ensemble being...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: In search of a mandolin...

I can heartily recommend Peter Coombe's mandolins. I have one of his 2nd generation flat top models, which is based on the outline of a Lyon and Healy style C, but is a flat top with certain design...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Livestream Bach on the mandolin workshop

Hi Paul, I am definitely interested in anything you have to share. I am particularly keen to work on improving classical ornaments/grace notes etc!
  24. Replies
    Views

It's here! Peter Coombe flat top.

I have had it a couple of days now and still can't wipe the smile off my face! It is a thing of beauty. It's lightweight, precision made, loud and has great sustain.

It's one of Peter's 2nd...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Barry Harris method for learning bebop

Just discovered this thread, what a fantastic learning resource. Thanks for your work Pete!
Page 1 of 2 1 2