Search:

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Re: Best power carving tool for arching and graduating tops and b

A 50 or 36 grit sanding disc removes wood almost as fast as one of those chainsaw wheel death traps and is much safer.

Scroll through youtube and watch some of the scary videos where the...
  2. Re: Jam Etiquette / Rules Question - Should songs be banned

Mostly it's origins - there's a lot of articles on this.

My take is here - https://mattcbruno.com/why-i-dont-play-turkey-in-the-straw/

Here's a few others.
  3. Re: Anybody ever make tuner buttons out of Fimo?

Sue,
    Nothing in your posts over the past year suggests any serious misbehavior. Maybe on the strength of having been a good girl all year, if new tuners showed up on your Christmas list, Santa would...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Anyone Spraying Shellac?

Thanks Dave, I've found many contradicting theories online (including the one with the totes) some of them obviously ridiculous even to me so I initially went with my own theory. I will try to difest...
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: New build question - type of maple?

I don't want to get too snarky here, but; who is building the mandolin? If the builder likes sugar maple and thinks he/she can get you the sound you want using it, what difference does it make what...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

I got a chance tp play and checkout Dave's new mandolin with the carbon fiber neck at the Guild of American Luthier's show last week in Tacoma: Very cool, very interesting, and a great sounding...
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Tell me why not: Carbon fiber bracing.

Might be able to release epoxy joints by heating the CF brace.
    Many years ago, I epoxied oversize bone point protectors onto an F5-style mandolin. When the epoxy fully cured I started grinding the...
  8. Replies
    Views

While the fundamental mode of motion of a top or back is sort of like a speaker cone, there are more modes of motion as well, and all are involved in the mandolin making sound. In other words, the...
  9. Replies
    Views

I am also having difficulty understanding what you have in mind. Note that with CF, it needs to be away from the axis of bending to be effective. if it is close to, or on the axis of bending you...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Spruce-different species

So was I. :-)

Actually how can you attribute some tone features to one species or even local variety when you cannot tell them apart under microscope?
    Tone is result of hundred other MORE...
  11. Replies
    Views

Wide belt sander

I recently ripped my conveyor belt on my 18x36 drum sander. I called Grizzly and they wanted $45.00 for a new one. I called Sandpaper America, where I get my sandpaper from, and they made one for...
  12. Replies
    Views

A Classy Cohen Classical Mandolin

Some things are worth waiting for. On July 1 my friendly UPS driver pulled up out front, beeped his horn, and leaped forth from his familiar brown truck with a fair sized box under his arm. I had...
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Some mandothingies from most recent batch

Those I played were great! The, "Thingy" wasn't strung though. . . I think I'da liked it!

f-d
  14. Replies
    Views

That's a really marvellous bunch of instruments. 'Mandobeauties' would be more appropriate.

I'd love to hear the five-course 'thingy' over its full range. It's something I'd like to have a shot at...
  15. Replies
    Views

Really nice Dave. That 'cello is beautiful!
  16. Replies
    Views

Mine is the 4th above, the one with 29 frets on the E string. As one expects with Dave, very refined workmanship, superb sound and playability. A phenomenal instrument -- I am very pleased.
  17. Replies
    Views

Very nice indeed. I love the idea of hollowed out headstock to get more balance. How did that work out? I often wonder why some builders don't try to figure out how to balance a mando better. For...
  18. Serious, appreciative expletives. Way beautiful....

Serious, appreciative expletives. Way beautiful. I'm sure the sound as good as they look.
  19. Re: Some mandothingies from most recent batch

Great work Dave! I'm looking forward to hearing one of them.
  20. Re: Some mandothingies from most recent batch

Beutiful instruments Mr Cohen...wow factor going here!
  21. Replies
    Views

Just stunning Dave. And you can make any wood sing!
  22. Replies
    Views

My you have been busy! :) Got to love that 'cello!
  23. Replies
    Views

Show off! :)
    FWIW, that is a good thing.
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Any function to recurve

Peter, you can't honestly believe that there is any chance that "all this nonsense about springs, hinges, bows and bells will now cease". Finding out how things really work is no fun for a lot of...