Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Dovetail Tips and Tricks

That's a well thought out solution. I may try it someday, thanks for sharing it.
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: What's up with that truss rod?

Glad to hear it was a success!
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: What's up with that truss rod?

Yeah, I really haven't gone shopping in a long time and with the CNCs, they can probably even dial in some kind of tone and get them built for under $1K. I know a lot of new mandolin players like...
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

I'm going with em6000 even though I had problems the last time I used it. I'm somewhat determined to make it work.
  5. Replies
    Views

Been trying to get this done for a couple of years now. Between moving and repairs I haven't had much time but I'm on a roll now. The neck isn't attached I just put there for the photo. The inlay is...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Hide glue question

That statement makes it very clear to me that I need to start up my glue pot again and maybe purchase some urea for closing tops and backs. I started using fresh Titebond Hide glue and I really like...
  7. Replies
    Views

That is the most beautiful uke I've seen. My goodness that's some nice wood.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Equipment advice please

So maybe it's not such a bad idea to buy new like I did. I have had zero issues and the load sensing technology is awesome. I run mine as fast as it will go and let it take care of slowing if I'm...
  9. Replies
    Views

Re: Equipment advice please

Don't ask a drum sander to do the work of a thickness planer. Cut your pieces to smallest size you need and hand plane until close and then run it through. This works very well for me on 19x38...
  10. Replies
    Views

Re: Recurve too thin?

Yup, I got that wrong on my #1 but after the box was closed. I extended it's life with a cocobolo arm rest lamination. I've since re-topped it and a mouse took up residence and ate the f-hole. I hate...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin from a kit

The paper between the joints is usually done in order to test the tone, easily remove the back, make adjustments and reassemble. Once the desired tone is reached, the back and paper are removed for...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Why is Low humidity a problem?

That's a good read and fits my thoughts on humidity problems exactly. Some folks get it backwards. Even a well know shop owner in my area has it backwards. Don't quite now how he got such a good rep....
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: Exotic Canary Wood F5 Back

I have built a few F5s and that's what I started with. Crazy I know but I learned a lot about building and carving but not a damn thing about tone. My next mandolin will be a plane Jane A5 and I...
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: Collapsed Washburn

I think I would prefer to build a new one and these kind of things just take away from the little spare time I have for doing it.
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: Stew-mac prices

philadelphialuthiertools is my new go to, at least for tools and nut and saddle blanks.
  16. Replies
    Views

I'm glad you did John. They are beautiful!
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: buying tonewood

I just saw a piece of cocobolo I could get 5 guitar sets out of with the right saw. Thanks again for giving me these great ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to be building instrument for free! Well not...
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: Granite in the shop

I'll have to write that one :-)
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Block in-lays.

If I was to do it, I would remove the frets first. Then replace them with some EVO Gold frets for a real nice look. If you have the chops.
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Estimate Shock

Take a look at the builders list and find a few near you and check out there work. This is not a difficult job if you have the tools and done a bunch.
  21. Re: How to improve the sound of a Rogue Mandolin

I agree. I'd buy it and take the tuners and tailpiece off and throw the mandolin away.
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: The learning process questions

It's so much easier to find your own voice after you've slavishly learned some tunes from those that you admire. This has been my route and at some point I've learned to come up with my own way of...
  23. Re: Pick keeps turning when I'm picking fast

I was using a regular shaped pick. I found that if I use the shoulder of those I don't have the problem but I like a point better. The triangle pick is perfect.
  24. Re: Let's see your odd sound holes and side ports...

I really like this one.

This looks like a thread worth watching for those of us not wanting to make exact copies of Gibsons. I'd have to find someone to design one for me though. I have...
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Guitar Conversion advice.

2 strings per hole? Has it been done before? I need to see the results of this one. :popcorn:
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4