Search:

Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Robin Williamson mandolin

Thanks - I particularly enjoyed the Devil on the wine keg piece among the other posts you pointed to.
  2. Paul Hostetter's website is available ....

I am SO happy to see that Paul Hostetter's website is again available; when I last looked 5 or 6 months ago, it was not. It's a wonderful resource, and he was a frequent poster here.

IIRC, his...
  3. Replies
    Views

Robin Williamson mandolin

Here's a short clip of the Scottish musician/singer/songwriter, Robin Williamson, playing mandolin. Move cursor to 1:20.

If the links don't work search YouTube for "The Incredible String Band -...
  4. Replies
    Views

Eight Is Not Enough

The extended range of five courses, along with the richer tone and attack of doubled strings, means I can make a full sound in just a trio setting. Here I revisit a favorite Keith Jarrett tune from...
  5. Replies
    Views

Andy Irvine is 81 today!

I'm pretty certain than many of us would probably not be playing Celtic music (and indeed Eastern European music) on the mandolin or bouzouki if it weren't for Andy Irvine. And he seems to be still...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Beginner Lessons philosophy/discussion

Fair enough
  7. Replies
    Views

Today's practice room

https://i.imgur.com/VBAbRjE.jpg
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Gibson Mandobass #87717

Now now, let's not get too harsh on the Gibson J model, just because it's not a double bass. On the plus side, you'll get more sound than any acoustic bass guitar ever made. And think about it......
  9. “Simple et belle” by Ernest-Louis Patierno

This is my arrangement of “Simple et belle” (Simple and beautiful) composition for solo mandolin by Ernest-Louis Patierno (1863-1929)
    I tried to present this composition as close as possible to the...
  10. Replies
    Views

Wayne Shorter, RIP

No mandolin content, of course, but a great loss to our nation and the world of music.

One of the greatest composers and musicians of the 20th c. and on into our times.

To hear him and Herbie...
  11. Replies
    Views

Re: Very nice French Christmas Tune

Buttons and buttons!
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: African mandolin on fb marketplace

But it's possible that the mandolin does have roots in Africa. European chordophones can be traced back to the oud, which was imported to Europe from the Middle East and North Africa (the oud is...
  13. I published a book of my original compositions for oud

Any interest here? Not strictly mandolin, but thought I'd offer it...

https://we.tl/t-gRcbmyf3ps
  14. Re: Could a 12-string be repurposed as an octave mandolin?

years ago, one of local musicians had a 12-string guitar permanently converted to octave mandolin configuration by a competent guitar luthier. headstock was shortened from 12 tuners to 8 tuners, I do...
  15. Re: Could a 12-string be repurposed as an octave mandolin?

You could just tune the 12-string to New Standard Tuning and call it a day. 😎 You probably need to build a custom string set.

I agree octave mandolin tuning at guitar scale is iffy. Mandocello...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Music from Central France

Last night I watched an old documentary about the French musette music tradition. The most interesting part was that there was a large influx of people from the Auvergne are that migrated to Paris in...
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Music from Central France

Hi Dagger:

I love that music and play it on my English Border bagpipes by Jon Swayne and schäferpfeife by Thorsten Tetz, which are very similar to the cornemuse du centre that Julian Barbances is...
  18. Replies
    Views

Music from Central France

This is a nice video of a band called Cadene, who seem like they are from Central France. The pipes are certainly from there. (Cornemuse du Centre). Really nice, I think. Pretty funky looking lot as...
  19. Replies
    Views

Video Concert Tonight

My jazz trio video posts at 7:30 EDT. I will be on the chat bar. Running time will be about 45 minutes.

https://youtu.be/UuKWWvfPVKU

Or
  20. Article on the Centrum Choro workshop & Choro in North America

Wrote this for the Rainshadow Journal. It's my version of choro in North America over the last thirty years. Your version may differ! That's ok! Enjoy...
  21. Re: About "musicality" (or whatever the correct description might

In Victor Wooten's book the Music Lesson, he makes a significant point about music teaching greatly overemphasizing what he refers to as "notes". As notes he includes chords, melody, anything that...
  22. Replies
    Views

Ron Miles RIP

No mandolin content, but jazz fans and lovers of American music should note the all too young passing of one of our greats, Ron Miles.

I’ve seen him live a number of times, with Bill Frisell and...
  23. Re: Punch Brothers "Hell on Church Street"

I am sorry. I couldn´t resist. The music is great. The playing is great. The artistic approach is great. Yet I wonder, what were they smoking, or what pills were they on. You will like it, I am sure....
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: What style am I hearing in my head?

Of course "l'Indifference" is in Sheri's book and somebody has already posted a mandolin version, but it would be a shame if anyone missed Carlo Aonzo's version:

K30_zJfd7ms
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: David Mold Videos on YouTube

A big thanks to mandrain for the kindness and respect to a fellow Cafe member that's not often seen. Maybe, just maybe, David did not post his new vids here is because, he did. In the SAW group. So...
Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4