2. Replies
    Views

Re: From "The Pink Panther"

paWt-vWYbyU

;)
  3. Replies
    Views

I believe the singer in that scene was Fran Jeffries.
  4. Replies
    Views

Love the original Pink Panther and the corny scene where this song is sung in the ski lodge. Even better that it has a mandolin reference !
  5. Re: from the lyrics of the sone, "Beyond Compare" by Marshall Bar

No, but I found the following info (and full lyrics) on a blog page:

Song title: "Beyond Compare".
    Lyrics written by: Marshall Barer.
    Music composed by: David Ross.

YouTube recording: ...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Strategies for learning without teachers?

Started when I was 20, having played guitar a bit. I didn't know any mandolin players.
    I had learned and forgot some basic music reading from recorder lessons at school when I was 12 or 13.

I...
  7. Thread: mandolin teachers

by Bren
    Replies
    Views

Re: mandolin teachers

Great stories Dave.

(sorry, can't contribute - never had a teacher)
  8. Replies
    Views

I have had a teacher for a couple of years. With his help, I have made much faster progress than I would on my own with YouTube. Occasionally, I attend a camp (virtual these days). There is never...
  9. Replies
    Views

I would find time in your week to take a lesson with a teacher that plays mandolin - many of them have 30 minute lessons. May as well get started off on the right foot so to speak, picking a mando...
  10. Replies
    Views

Here's the obverse of that story, sort of. My older daughter took lessons from early on from a respected school in the next town. Her teachers were all Juilliard students, very well trained and...
  11. Replies
    Views

Working with the voices in my head .. ..

Music in my head came out by whistling and humming, then the head tunes ..
    took me a while.. getting my fingers up to the task..

:whistling: this was in the cretaceous era, before the...
  12. Replies
    Views

Interesting theory, although I doubt that is how it works. Mark was always a prodigy and we would have found out that regardless if he learned how to read music. I would be very surprised if he does...
  13. Replies
    Views

There's plenty of good advice above, but I didn't find the transition from fiddle to mandolin all that easy. Picking out notes was simple, but what I was doing with both hands was quite different...
  14. Replies
    Views

Round2:

I agree with everyone. With your past musical background, I wouldn't consider you to be a novice. Transition from violin to mandolin is quite easy. I also second the suggestion about...
  15. Replies
    Views

10 years of violin should set you up quite nicely. I took piano and guitar lessons when I was a kid but never steady lessons on fiddle or mandolin. I wish I had violin lessons. I have been playing...
  16. Replies
    Views

Hi Round2!

If you are not working (or did not work) with a teacher to learn to play the mandolin, how did you go about it?

I have never worked with a teacher, except maybe just a smidgeon with...
  17. Replies
    Views

Jim Bevan hit the nail on the head, and your response shows you have some musical experience. I’ll answer your personal questions from my own perspective.

The way I went about it at first was to...
  18. Replies
    Views

If you are looking for a bluegrass instructor I can highly recommend Keith Yoder of Maryville, Tennessee. He is a multi instrumentalist and focuses on how to play well with others and on developing...
  19. Replies
    Views

Having a spouse who plays is a huge advantage to learning a new instrument. When I taught myself, I had a book, some eight years of formal music training and the experience of teaching myself and my...
  20. Replies
    Views

I started playing the mandolin as a side activity to playing guitar and slide guitar. So I already had a basis when I started. I have learned a lot from listening to blues mandolin players - that is...
  21. Replies
    Views

IMHO, based on my experiences as both a student and a teacher, teaching is an art. A good teacher does not have a one size fits all method. He or she strives to understand how each student learns...
  22. Replies
    Views

I started with mandolessons.com, and have been working through Sharon Gilchrist's Intermediate sessions on Peghead Nation. Highly recommend both.
  23. Replies
    Views

Sounds like you're good to go. :)

I'd say just hunt around on YouTube for someone playing something that you want to play, study it enough to figure out how it's being done (physically as well as...
  24. Re: Strategies for learning without teachers?

Those points are well taken, Jim. In my own case, I studied violin for 10 years or so (but never fiddle, I'm sorry to say), double bass for one year, and piano for three or four years. I noodled...
  25. Replies
    Views

I would imagine that my reply would be true for many of us self-taughties here:
    I learned to play another instrument before mandolin. I already understood how music "works" when I first picked up a...
Page 1 of 2 1 2