Search:

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. The Po' Ramblin' Boys "Hickory, Walnut and Pine"

Fast Forward to 2:20 to hear The Po' Ramblin' Boys "Hickory, Walnut and Pine";

Pretty sure that C.J. is playing (Jerry Rosa's) Uncle Don Brown's '24 Loar. The guitar player's G run could take your...
  2. New John Reischman Album - New Time & Old Acoustic

John Reischman just revealed the album cover and name of his upcoming solo album on Instagram and we have something to add to this. Some info at the link below which appears on his new Instagram...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Clown Barf picks available

Just ordered 6 large triangle 1.3 mm picks from Banjo Ben’s, based largely on David Benedict’s love of them in his YouTube pick review video and this thread reminding me that I wanted to try them,...
  4. Thread: Pick shootout

by gtani7
    Replies
    Views

Re: Pick shootout

look up the traveling samplers, 2 of them, I think they're traveling again, or will be soon

https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/threads/152883-Pick-Samplers-Still-Circulating
  5. Thread: Tone Guard!!

by wildpikr
    Replies
    Views

Re: Tone Guard!!

Same for me [received the Tone-Gard yesterday] and I'll add that it fits well on my Silverangel and fits into a Hoffee case.

And thanks to Banjo Ben for prompt service.:)
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: Thile's personal luthier

Actually I was just wondering. I like luthiers and have maintained conversations with many. They usually love to talk shop, as do I. I do have a wonderful local luthier, Luke Wilson, whom I trust...
  7. Thread: Porch Pride

by Frankdolin
    Replies
    Views

Re: Porch Pride

Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Hypocrite.
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: The latest in plectrum technology.....

Right? A lot of electric guitarists these days are using no pick, going with the soft touch. It makes for a smoother attack. I can see Carlos using a hard pick, the way he likes to play lots of fast...
  9. Replies
    Views

Yep. Another "amen." I choose the pick which sounds best to my ear. Whether the audience can tell the difference (which isn't likely anyway), I am the one who listens to my playing more than anyone...
  10. Replies
    Views

Just curious as to why audiences keep being brought up? Do any musicians decide on what pick they use (or fiddle bow, or drum sticks) based on whether the audience can hear the difference? I've...
  11. Replies
    Views

So should he just use a Fender Heavy and be done with it since the audience won't hear the value? I'd wager that Chris Thile makes his pick choices based on whether the pick feels good to play with,...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Ebay Luthier Project

' project '. American euphamism for junk.

Dave H
  13. Replies
    Views

Re: New Chris Thile album

Haven’t read this thread yet but just downloaded the album and looking forward to some more “Hot Bluegrass” from Chris!

;)
  14. Replies
    Views

Re: New Chris Thile album

It's really nice and refreshing to read a discussion of music on the internet that is respectful of different folks personal tastes and opinions! I've yet to listen to the full album yet, but having...
  15. Replies
    Views

The next generation

My youngest has been asking me to teach her chords... fast forward... 3 weeks ago I bought my first mandolin back and did a tune up. Fast forward again, so today is her bday. I gave her the Rogue...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: Cumberland bridge on Loar LM500 ?

Read the rest of this thread for an answer to your question.

Or the myriads of other threads on the subject.

But I'll also answer your question: a lot.
  17. Replies
    Views

Re: Cumberland bridge on Loar LM500 ?

One would hope they would.
  18. Re: New (to me) Gibson A5L . To scoop of not....

I find the unscooped Florida is also a good reminder about right hand location, which can move forward toward the nut for richness on the bass courses but must come back toward the bridge for added...
  19. Re: New (to me) Gibson A5L . To scoop of not....

When I hear the pick click on my Gibson it reminds me that the pick is digging into the strings too far rather than just skipping over them enough to make noise, I use it as a reminder to clean up my...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: New (to me) Gibson A5L . To scoop of not....

I've been known to occasionally go up and get an E [24th fret], but not very often. I've also been known to remove the 23rd fret and replace it with a maple strip ground flush so I can get that E...
  21. Thread: Northfield Model M

by CES
    Replies
    Views

Re: Northfield Model M

Congratulations! I oscillate between the J74 and J75 gauges, and have had 2 mandolins in particular that just sung with 75s: an overbuilt Kentucky 675-S and a Silverangel Econo. The latter is my “one...
  22. Replies
    Views

Re: Why play Mandolin?

I started out as a violinist when I was 8 years old and fell in love with the instrument. I was actually pretty good, always second chair in the First Violin section of the city youth orchestra. I...
  23. Replies
    Views

Re: Pick Noise, pointy vs rounded, etc.

Regarding the flat-slap sound, that's mostly controlled by the pick holding angle. Very subtle angle changes can make a huge difference in both tone and volume. A little experimentation with the...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: My mandolin got eaten by a Stratocaster.

I've just turned 70, and it apparently does not get better.

25. Replies
    Views

Re: Mandolin Orange is now Watchhouse

Video from the new Watchouse album. Like it. Alot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAPJev2yOFo
Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4