Search:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: To Upgrade or Not to Upgrade?

I play music with a kid who has two Breedlove A's. They sound great and are quite playable. He always sounds good on them and they cut well thru the band sound with a full tone. What else do you...
  2. Replies
    Views

My last "upgrade" was not a higher end mandolin, but one more suited for use in the current group I am playing in. I had it built to my specifications using neck measurements from one I really liked...
  3. Replies
    Views

In 2007, I upgraded from my Kentucky 250 to a Breedlove Quartz OF. A couple years later, I bought a used Quartz FF through the Café Classifieds. I've upgraded a few times since then, but as you...
  4. Replies
    Views

More mandolins equal more fun!
    Buy them, sell them, find the love of your life.
    Lots to gain, little to loose.

Billy
  5. Replies
    Views

I have a pair of Breedloves: Legacy FF and Quartz FF. Both were made in Bend, OR, before Breedlove moved their mandolin manufacture to China. I bought both from Dennis Vance at the Mandolin Store...
  6. Replies
    Views

Regarding the buying of "high end" mandolins (or guitars, or cars, or watches, or any other "boy toy" that catches your eye): If you want the mandolin, and you can afford the mandolin without causing...
  7. Replies
    Views

Years ago I had a Breedlove OO that I loved. Traded it in for a Collings MT-O. I’ve had 4 MT-O’s since then, liked everyone of them so much that I decided to stop playing the catch and release game...
  8. Replies
    Views

I've played a few MTs and owned one for a few months that were excellent mandolins, with extremely fine build quality, fit and finish, etc, but the ones I've played (all Engelman topped, FWIW) had a...
  9. Replies
    Views

Shakespeare - Romeo & Juliet do Rene Descarte? to be Y/N?

:whistling:
  10. Replies
    Views

I second this! Hinde #8 is in the classified section for $5500 and Heritage 71 $7000. I own Heritage #46 and it's really opened up in the year I've owned it, such a bluegrasser. I'm obviously biased...
  11. Replies
    Views

Well your American Breedloves are solid mandolins. They won't hold you back. And you love them. They're in a price range where it's hard to just turn up the "better".

I would hold off upgrading...
  12. Replies
    Views

I say that if you're considering Collings or Northfield money, you could also get something from a prominent builder.

There are lots of incredible builders around right now that are offering top...
  13. Replies
    Views

I bought a used Collings MT from Guitar Center of all places a decade ago thinking that I would sample it for the 45 day trial period and then return it if the experience wasn’t overwhelmingly...
  14. Replies
    Views

I agree with Milli857. Its when you actually play a different instrument and LOVE the extra something you get from it. You only know when you play it. It;s the old story of playing say 6 Martin...
  15. Replies
    Views

I have liked the Collingses and Northfields I've played but I certainly wouldn't buy one blind if I loved my current instrument.

I'd say the time to upgrade is when you:
    1. Play an instrument and...
  16. Replies
    Views

Re: How to combat memorization tendencies?

When you practice do you stop and “correct” any clams you play? DON’T DO THAT! If you stop when you practice you’ll train yourself to stop when you play. Play through your errors, keeping the feel of...
  17. Re: Has anyone played in Ireland Jam Sessions?

I second this.
    It's great having a ton of close jams to go to. I've about 3-4 jams that are all under an hour's commute that happen weekly. It's a great way to learn/practice.
  18. Replies
    Views

Re: "Noodling" at Sessions

O.K. back to Irish Music.

You can 'play along' in the privacy of your own home with these videos made by and Shannon and Matt Heaton. They play slowly and they really understand the process of...
  19. Replies
    Views

I remember a session in Madison Wisconsin where we had to suffer thru a whole evening of watching this piper dominating the sessiun, (he was the supposed leader of that sessiun). He played only...
  20. Replies
    Views

I still can't grasp how something as simple as expecting attendees at a regular session (not a tune learning or slow session) to make an effort to know the tunes/be capable of playing them up to...
  21. Replies
    Views

[QUOTE=Beanzy;1866486]Possibly people aren't aware of just how different the whole ecosystem for trad is in Ireland,
    Here in Cornwall we don't have this and up in England they don't either, so it...
  22. Replies
    Views

Possibly people aren't aware of just how different the whole ecosystem for trad is in Ireland,
    Here in Cornwall we don't have this and up in England they don't either, so it might be worth outlining...
  23. Replies
    Views

Trying to boil this all down to something effective and useful to the OP.

Going with that definition for a moment...

The main question is "what can I do if I don't know the tunes". The real...
  24. Replies
    Views

Re: Travelling With Mandolin

:)):mandosmiley:
  25. Replies
    Views

Re: Travelling With Mandolin

I had a trip a few years ago, I Used a backpack frame with a side opening duffle bag
    strapped /lashed, to it.
    I surrounded my Original hard case in the duffle bag with clothing.

It came...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4