Search:

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Re: Bowl back science

I just skimmed the article yesterday, but took away a few things that I already knew - sorta. At one point, I did interferometry and a few other things on a 1921 (?) Calace that Mike Schroeder had...
  2. Replies
    Views

My latest Octave Mandolin

Here’s some photos of my latest Octave Mandolin. It’s off to The Music Emporium next week!211852211853211854
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Why chord melody? Why not use notation?

"Most of us who play or try to play chord melody have a few voicings memorized for each type of chord, but also understand how chords are constructed so we’re not restricted to a single voicing. If...
  4. Replies
    Views

Those are great thoughts on the embellishment and “fleshing out” topic! I do the same. And it is noteworthy that there is no need for a knowledge of theory or “chord building” to do that! If a person...
  5. Replies
    Views

Nicely said! I'd been thinking it, but wasn't sure how to inject it into the conversation.
  6. Replies
    Views

Notating the chords, writing out specific voicings, is appropriate in classical period, and later music, to ensure the right balance of voices, e.g. which voice is on too, which bass note is used,...
  7. Replies
    Views

That's painting with a very wide brush, considering how many different types of folk music there are. The music I play on mandolin is Irish/Scottish trad. Most mandolin players I've known who focus...
  8. Replies
    Views

But not ALL mandolinists think of the instrument as a folk instrument.

The mandolin is also a classical instrument, as noted in other posts. Also, many pieces of music in the Italian tradition...
  9. Replies
    Views

Most of us who play or try to play chord melody have a few voicings memorized for each type of chord, but also understand how chords are constructed so we’re not restricted to a single voicing. If...
  10. Replies
    Views

CHASEX, grab a copy of The Complete Mandolinist by Marilyn Mair for examples of classical mandolin music written it standard notation only.

Most mandolin books, like 90%, and be they method...
  11. Replies
    Views

CHASAX: From your posts I think what you are referring to is jazz fake book notation where they have simple single-line melodies in standard notation with the chords called out either just by names...
  12. Replies
    Views

Re: Showing mandolin chords in notation … although exact fingering is not given, showing in which octave each note occurs is a helpful clue. In the link I gave above, compare the notation for each C...
  13. Replies
    Views

I don’t think that resistance to learning notation enters in to this, Dan. It’s difficult to understand CHASAX’ post because he pits Chord Melody against standard notation, where there’s no conflict...
  14. Replies
    Views

chords spelled out in notation can be ambiguous puzzles (they want me to play an A, a B, a C# and a D all at the same time, but they are all on the same A string?!? oh, this arrangement is for guitar...
  15. Replies
    Views

The resistance to learning standard notation comes from the mandolin being a folk instrument. Folk instrumentalists take great pride in playing by ear and not relying on notation OR chord charts.
  16. Replies
    Views

In a chord melody piece, chords will be played intermixed with melody, so if the composer wishes to notate the composition, the chordal tones as well as the melody could and should be notated.

in...
  17. Replies
    Views

Do you mean standard notation (indicating musical pitches with five lines no matter what instrument) or tablature notation (indicating fingering and the number of lines corresponding for each string...
  18. Replies
    Views

Chris Thile jam camp

This is life changing. The energy level is off the charts. The artists are are incredible and exchange of information and ideas is like standing under a waterfall. The music never stops I just...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Blues Mandolin instruction - a list of sources

Below is a link to Brett’s YT channel where he plays and TABs on the screen some of his 101 mandolin blues licks. I have not purchased this book but I do have his Jazz Guitar Looper book and I will...
  20. Replies
    Views

So far we have:

Carr, Joe: School of Mandolin: Blues

DelGrosso, Rich: Mandolin Blues: From Memphis to Maxwell Street

Gordon, Andrew D.: The Blues Play-A-Long and Solos Collection for...
  21. Replies
    Views

Steve James has a book: Roots and Blues Mandolin

and two DVD's, now available as a set:

Learn To Play Blues Mandolin DVD Vol. 1

Learn To Play Blues Mandolin DVD Vol. 2
  22. Replies
    Views

School of Mandolin: Blues by Joe Carr.

(Perhaps the simplest of the books named so far, good for someone without a solid base in blues or mandolin. May be out of print.)

Blues Mandolin from...
  23. Re: Blues Mandolin instruction - a list of sources

There are two others that I am aware of:

Mandolin Blues Book by Brent Robitaille
    The Blues play-a-long and solos collection for mandolin by Andrew D. Gordon
  24. Replies
    Views

Blues Mandolin instruction - a list of sources

As far as I know besides YouTube videos

Rich Del Grosso’s book
    Steve James Homespun courses
    Mandolin Blues book by the Italian guys