Search:

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4

Search: Search took 1.00 seconds.

1. Replies
    Views

Andrew Marlin and Tommy Edwards

This was 34 minutes well spent and I thought other folks might enjoy it if you haven't seen it already. Great harmonies, great picking by both gentlemen and it was cool to hear Andrew picking a few...
  2. Replies
    Views

Re: Goodwill Gibson A

I cannot judge the back of the instrument or the originality of the frets because of the lack of in-focus pictures.
    The rest of the instrument appears to be in excellent original condition, except...
  3. Replies
    Views

Re: Rib assemblies too small?

That's what I would do and was just going to suggest that. I love the looks of a fiddle top mandolin.
  4. Replies
    Views

Re: Rib assemblies too small?

What if you kept the plates oversized and made these to have more of a violin construction appearance like a Campanella?
  5. Replies
    Views

Re: Shop Helpers

I have Bellatrix, whom my kids have decided is a "bonsai panther". She comes out to the shop every 24 hours or so and patrols, just to make sure it's safe for me to be in here.

And earlier...
  6. Replies
    Views

Re: New Vessel Loar A5 tribute

It is a refreshing change to see this crowd getting so worked up over an A5 mandolin.
  7. Replies
    Views

Re: Adding or replacing binding?

You could just use masking tape and paint a faux binding on it:) The econo guitars and mandolins of years past used painted on binding. I saw a Les Paul Studio recently that someone had scraped...
  8. Replies
    Views

Re: Post a picture of what's on your bench?

Y'all know I'm working my way through Graham McDonald's The Mandolin Project as I build my first. I glued up the (Flat) top today using the "traditional Spanish rope and wedges technique." I must say...
  9. Replies
    Views

New Vessel Loar A5 tribute

Here is my latest. Not an exact Griffith copy, as I have not seen the original. But more of a concept instrument of the possible existence of a second Loar signed A5.
    Pic guard by Darryl Wolfe,...
  10. Re: Article: Nate Lee To Release Wings of a Jetliner in June

Thanks Drew, I'm so glad you're enjoying the music! I didn't know about the Salty Suites cut of "Somewhere Far Away". I'll have to check that out! Have you heard Brad Folk's version? Nick Woods,...
  11. Thread: Blue chip picks

by RickR
    Replies
    Views

Re: Blue chip picks

I've been on the great pick adventure the last couple of years and I am sold on Blue Chip based on the quality and the outstanding customer service I've received. I've tried a number of others but...
  12. Replies
    Views

Seconded - Spencer, I would definitely not put a router on that as a power source. If you can get it slow enough to not explode, you will not have any power left as Richard said. If you are tempted...
  13. Replies
    Views

Starting my first build soon and it will be a flat top... so of course I need a DIY thickness sander!

14. Replies
    Views

Here's the finished sapele back for my my next archtop.
    Cheers Gary
  15. Replies
    Views

Re: 1912 Gibson A-1 that needs some love

It's a good project instrument for someone who is learning the craft and wants to keep it.
    Bear in mind that with the filled areas re-done correctly and a good authentic varnish finish, it would...
  16. Re: was looking at a mandolin for a friend, and this happens.....

I took the pledge a couple of years ago. My most recent trial:

I've always wanted a really nice ivory top A-3. One appeared at a store within driving distance a while back, and sat and sat. I...
  17. Replies
    Views

Hi Hank!

I could come up with plenty of fairy dust and unicorn theories, but mainly I try to not overthink the process too much and let it happen. My mandolins already exist inside a nice piece of...
  18. Replies
    Views

Condino Brazilian rosewood mandolin #164

I've been pleasantly suffering through the quarantine enjoying a new mandolin: #164, the 4th in sequence from my favorite Brazilian rosewood log. 1989 Ted Davis red spruce, 1950s Brazilian rosewood...
  19. Replies
    Views

Re: Sapele end block grain orientation?

I wouldn't laminate. It doesn't really matter which way you orient the grain. If you want to go to the trouble to look up the dimensional stability of your side wood, top wood and back wood and...
  20. Replies
    Views

Re: Sapele end block grain orientation?

If you resaw and laminate, you avoid any issue here at all. That's what I would do.
    Bill
  21. Amazing video of Josh Luttrell finishing an Ellis

Thought we could all use some soothing relaxing video to watch today.
  22. Re: No mandolin content. Taylor Guitars story about sourcing wood

The problem is not wood.

The problem is Bob Taylor insisting on consuming 130,000 guitars a year worth of wood.
  23. Re: Appendectomy: Trust Your Gut (some mandolin content)

Hopefully you were able to have yours removed before it ruptured. I was out on a Saturday bike ride with a group and started feeling bad. We usually went to a bakery or deli after the ride. I got off...
  24. Re: Appendectomy: Trust Your Gut (some mandolin content)

Hoping for a speedy recovery. That's one nightmare I don't want to have to go through right now.
  25. Re: Appendectomy: Trust Your Gut (some mandolin content)

Agreed! When my symptoms got bad, they got BAD. Really quickly. So, great move!

Best wishes for a smooth recovery.
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4